Phantis Forums

The Cyprus Tournament

Ziaka

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

this can be a great opportunity to rebuild our team. romania , finland and slovenia are good teams.

i just hope otto doesnt waste this like he did the confed.cup...

You can't say he wasted the opportunity, he did call new players up, some played while others just didn't impress in practice, he did have a month with them.

Anyways should be interesting to see Greece play in this tournament again, the Czech rep once part took in this tournament(Cyprus nearly beat them)and I think awhile ago we won it.

The romanian players are very slow, good team nontheless. Slovenia did beat Italy in qualifying, while Finland have some good players. Some good teams, just below world cup material though. It'll be intersting to see how Greece's fares against these teams.

You can't say he wasted the opportunity, he did call new players up, some played while others just didn't impress in practice, he did have a month with them.

he called one new player up-tavlaridis. he gave him 20 minutes against japan and ten miutes against mexico. i think a defender needs more time to adjust.

remember that vryzas played with his injured arm... gekas or pap never started a game.

we decided to fly in zagorakis who was in league action with bologna. kafes didnt play a minute in the conf.cup given the zagorakis situation and the fact that karagounis was injured against mexico.

which player got the chance to recommend himself for the further matches during the conf.cup? after the conf.cup otto called up lympe.

he called one new player up-tavlaridis. he gave him 20 minutes against japan and ten miutes against mexico. i think a defender needs more time to adjust.

Of course! I now Tavlaridis was not good during that competition but you can judge a player just like that. He's now a regular at Lille and one of the top defenser in the French league. Many premiership teams are interested in him. Otto should call him back, definitely.

I agree. He has not been given enough chances to prove himself. I hope he will be called up soon. Hopefully for the Cyprus tournament. I still don't understand why Otto called up Anatolakis for the trip to Saudi Arabia. He had a good opportunity to call up some promising defensive youngsters (Karypidis comes to mind) that he could try out. Sooner or later Kapsis and Dellas will have to be replaced.

Well keep in mind that Otto did spend more than a month with the team during the confeds. I think he's a good defender but he doesn't even know anyone a on the team, he's an outsider. I think Otto looks for players who have played a a fair amount in Greece and that know a few of the guys atleast. The whole team that was called up all play in Greece right now for these saudi games. Otto is looking for good chemistry more than anything.

Or who knows maybe Tavlaridis doesn't want to play for the national team, not everybody wants to play for the NT, mostly because they figure they'll be second or thrid choice and drop it alltogether.

Nonethelss I think he is a good defender at lille, but on Greece he's going to need more time than we can offer to adjust.

I agree. He has not been given enough chances to prove himself. I hope he will be called up soon. Hopefully for the Cyprus tournament. I still don't understand why Otto called up Anatolakis for the trip to Saudi Arabia. He had a good opportunity to call up some promising defensive youngsters (Karypidis comes to mind) that he could try out. Sooner or later Kapsis and Dellas will have to be replaced.

i am dissapointed with some of the players Otto has called up

i mean Anatolakis and Nikopolides

i mean we know wut we got with them were trying to figure out wut our youth is doing

i would like to have seen players like Samaras, Tavalridies and Amanatidis called up

but he is focusing at the Greek league players at the moment so those 3 that i mentioned may have declined an offer this time to compete for there club teams i guess

i do like Dellas being called up just so he can get his feet wet

Well keep in mind that Otto did spend more than a month with the team during the confeds. I think he's a good defender but he doesn't even know anyone a on the team, he's an outsider. I think Otto looks for players who have played a a fair amount in Greece and that know a few of the guys atleast. The whole team that was called up all play in Greece right now for these saudi games. Otto is looking for good chemistry more than anything.

Or who knows maybe Tavlaridis doesn't want to play for the national team, not everybody wants to play for the NT, mostly because they figure they'll be second or thrid choice and drop it alltogether.

Nonethelss I think he is a good defender at lille, but on Greece he's going to need more time than we can offer to adjust.

As you said at the end of your post, it takes time. I don't take Tavlaridis is an outsider or someone doesn't want to play for the NT. He needs a chance, that's all.

thats not correct at all...

first off whats the point of him knowing the players is ridiculous. how do you know he doesnt know anyone? tavlaridis played in about every youth national team greece had. i think he played together with kiriakos at least, probably seitaridis as well. true he left iraklis at 19 to go to arsenal so maybe he isnt that close with most greek players. but it should be about skill not buddyisms...who did rooney know on the english nm?

tavlaridis recently said that he hopes he will be invited again to the ethniki. so he does want to play for greece. and i am happy we have a player of his calibre. i am just sad hes not in ottos plans at the moment. which greek player doesn t want to play for the ethniki? dont give me zikos...otto ignored him for 2 years while zikos was playing great and going to the cl final.the only one in recent times who didn t want to was georgatos.

time is what we have now. we need to build a new team. you think we will defend the euro title with kaspsis, goumas and anatolakis. these players are done..how much time was tavlaridis given about 30 minutes. thats nothing. he didnt shine but you seem to have forgotten some of the horrible mistakes for example kapsis, goumas have done in the past. still they get nominated and renominated.

if otto doesnt like him personally thats a different story. but given that he plays regularly in a top league he has to be considered as we dont have these kind of players in abundance.

Well what I mean is he isn't part of a group of close knit guys, most of the players playing on the NT have been playing in Greece for a long time and know many of the players. He did spend a moth with the team but I harldy think that was enough time. Persoanlly I think he's going to need a lot of time to adjust to the NT, it's very different from french football.

Alos lots of guys were called up for the saudi games but they had club commitments.

I think he's a good defender but like I said I think he is only at good in the french style of play. The way Greece plays at the junior levels is different from the senior levels. Greece's defensive play is probably the most effective in the whole world right now, I have no complaints about it and the players in it right now I think right for it. They make mistakes but the younger would make the same mistakes and more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

the 11kada i would like to see:

Nikopolidis

Giourkas

Dellas

Tavalaridis

Darlas

Karagounis

Katsouranis

Tziolis

Lagos

Stelios

Samaras

Who knows maybe the youngsters can bring back some of the fire into the old guard.

Yes the left side is young but Otto cant see potential if it sits on the bench. You have 6 veterans on the field, to aid the young pups. We are only playing Belarus Game 1. The future is NOW

On the bench Vyntra Antzas Alexopoulos Basinas Kafes Salpigidis Mantzios Papadopoulos Sifakis Kyriakos Fyssas

Archived