Another pao player called for NT

Guest Protathlitis

Should Mantzios have been called up  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should Mantzios have been called up

• Yes
    • No

Guest Protathlitis

Look, this thread is NOT meant to insult pao or promote conspiracy theories. I KNOW pao has produced more quality Greek players than OSFP. its a fact and its always it the respective policies of the two clubs.

But my question is do you guys really think that Mantzios should be called up now? after scoring two average goals at pao? this is one of the most important games int he NTs history and what is Otto thinking? he is calling up Mantzios so he can play his debut?

These are the players who have been called up as well as ones who might be who I do NOT think should be on the NT

Vyntra, Gekas, Mantzios, Kafes, Stoltidis, Zikos, Vryzas, Anatolakis

First, I doubt Mantzios will play against Denmark. There five strikers in the team: Vryzas, Charisteas, Gekas, Papadopoulos, Mantzios. If you count Lymperopoulos then we have six!!!

Second, he wasn't called merely from his appearances with PAO. Mantzios was outstanding with Panionios. I think Rehagel was waiting to see how Mantzios would perform in a European match.

Third, I think Zikos, Stoltidis should be called. At the moment I prefer Stoltidis to Basinas who hasn't played a formal match in a long time!

i think that it doesnt really matter that he was called. i know it is the most important game and everything, but as dimitris said, there are already other strikers there in front of him. as per usual, otto will start angelos and vryzas up front, and if he is going to change, he might bring in paps or lymber (if he is included). im assuming that otto called him up for the experience, and if he does get a run, then all the best to the kid.

I as well think that he won't get to play. Rehagel from time to time calls some youngsters but doesn't really let them play.

I think that after the Euro ended that we will finally see this lineup once again:

---------Vryzas----Haristeas

------------Karagounis

Katsouranis-------------Zagorakis

--------------Basinas

Fyssas---Kapsis---Dellas---Seitaridis

--------------Nikopolidis

3 subs in the secnd half:

Gianakopoulos for Karagounis

Lyberopoulos for Vryzas

and on extra depnding on the score.

Guest Protathlitis

now that hes not called up tsiartas how can we not have basinas in the squad at least. the rate he is going to only midfielder we have to come on is Kafes

i can just imagine otto seeing his goal v madrid and wanting him to play in this game :(

But im still confused why Vryzas and Basinas is still part of the team :blink:

i cant agree more with you. i think their NT career is over. vryzas cant run for that long, he gets to puffed from a little sprint. someone should give him a kafe, lol. with basinas, i think that hes too lazy now. hes getting old and lazy.

no way.......hes not ready

but this had nothing to do with PAO to be honest......Mantzios is compared to Xaristeas (ottos favourite) and otto has been eyeing him and Kapetanos up for a while...Though Kapetanos i think was better, Otto still used Mantzios more in the friednly vs Thessaloniki allstars last year...you could tell Otto just prefered Vaggelis.

as for conspiracy therories.....what OSFP forward was he going to call up??? they dont have any greek (citizen) forwards! exept Pappas but hes not ready....

if otto were doing this based on geyros theories that he only picks PAO, he should have called up Darlas......

we need talented youth integrated in the squad..period...whtether they are ready or not, we need some young talent on the tea,...whether it be amanatidis, samaras, mantzios, darlas, we need young players to get the experience they need...this was the problem with our national team before our euro journey...we had players playing with little experience and veterans that sucked...

Good post Protathlitis i think you're absolutely right. I don't see Mantzios starting but if everything goes well he might come in the last 10 minutes or something. Obviously you can't start anyone no matter how much talent they have, who hasn't played w/ the NT and doesn't have any international experience, in such a crucial game. I agree with most of the players you listed except for Zikos. Isn't this guy good? He will use Vryzas; I wouldn't use him as a striker though. I would use him as an attacking mid. He's better as a provider at this point as opposed to a striker. I'd like to see Pap and Haristeas start up front w/ Libe behind them. The problem with that is the fact that Pap is coming off an injury so it doesn't look like such a good idea. I think the only thing we can really do now is start Haristeas and Gekas w/ Libe behind them. Definitely not Haristeas and Vryzas! But don't be surprised if you see that in the beginning. The other problem is Basinas, who hasn't been playing w/ anyone, and Dellas, coming off a long injury.

Archived