Phantis Forums

Friendly: Belgium - GREECE

Ziaka

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well in this match i want to see what lybe can do, but then when Amanatidis is healthy again.....

it depends if otto plays 2 or 3 natural strikers, with 3 like in the mexico game, charisteas did play better but still :angry:

Amantidis has played in both of his club games - why is he not on the national team????

Amantidis has played in both of his club games - why is he not on the national team????

i would guess he's not 100% and otto didn't know for sure if he would be ready in time or not so then why risk it for a friendly? but that's just my guess, i'm sure it's just a temporary thing, don't be too worried. he will become frankfurt's top striker when healthy again cos they don't have any other decent striker.

Mabye a little late for predictions, but consdering who's been called up and who has been injured or out of form as of late here's what I think Otto should do in this game (especially with 7 subs at his disposal) (4-3-1-2 formation):

GK: Nikopolidis should start, Sifakis should play the 2nd half.

Defense: Same usual back 4 as of late, except put Fyssas on the wing. With Goumas still being hurt (I think) I hope Otto dosen't play him. PAO will need him for the CL Qualifier next week. Same with Vyntra. Depending on how the game goes, I'm curious to see how Moras is. To start out:

Seiteridis, Kapsis, Kyraigos, Fyssas.

Midifeld: Same as usual, with no real left-sided midfielder in the squad, I'd have Katsouranis playing out on the left wing. Lakis could sub in as could Kafes (if we have a lead, as Kafes is more of a defensive mid as opposed to Stelios.

Stelios-Zagorakis-Katsouranis

Attacking Mid: Karagounis had played well in pre-season soccer with Inter Milan, and I think this position fits his style of play the best.

Forwards: Not much here, Haristeas and Vryzas have not done well recently, but there isin't much else to do considering who Otto has called for this game I'd put Salpingidis and Lybe on in the 2nd half.

Even with the new faces, we can beat Belgium who haven't been very good over the last few year (NT or club teams alike) A 1-1 draw would be good, though we could possibly win this 2-1. Your thoughts...???

After watching the 1st half, I don't know where our defense was. Belgium could be up 3-0 or 4-0 had a few other breaks go their way. We're looking somewhat threatening up front, Zagorakis had a great diving header denied by a excellent save by the Belgian goalie. Now I know why people have been bitching at Haristeas, a couple of good oopertunites but he seems pretty lazy, no real runs or off the ball movement. Same with Basinas. Their forward Mbenza is killing us up front. Very fast, with a good shot (see 2nd goal). Though I was iirtated that NIkopolidis didn't at least go after it, he could've had it. Though he's made a couple of very good saves in the first half. The 1st one wasen't really his fault as Kapsis hit a really crappy pass back to him.

I hate to sound pessimestic, but some players did well. Karagounis played well, Stelios set up a couple of good oppertunities (as well as playing very well on the left not his usual position), Zagorakis is busting his ass as usual (with some great crossing of the ball as well). Defense made quite a few mistakes, Fyssas and Seiteridis are playing very agressive and attack-minded on the flanks. I'm confident Otto can pull it together and make it intresting in the 2nd half.

FORZA ELLAS! :tup: :box: :gr:

After watching the 1st half, I don't know where our defense was. Belgium could be up 3-0 or 4-0 had a few other breaks go their way. We're looking somewhat threatening up front, Zagorakis had a great diving header denied by a excellent save by the Belgian goalie. Now I know why people have been bitching at Haristeas, a couple of good oopertunites but he seems pretty lazy, no real runs or off the ball movement. Same with Basinas. Their forward Mbenza is killing us up front. Very fast, with a good shot (see 2nd goal). Though I was iirtated that NIkopolidis didn't at least go after it, he could've had it. Though he's made a couple of very good saves in the first half. The 1st one wasen't really his fault as Kapsis hit a really crappy pass back to him.

I hate to sound pessimestic, but some players did well. Karagounis played well, Stelios set up a couple of good oppertunities (as well as playing very well on the left not his usual position), Zagorakis is busting his ass as usual (with some great crossing of the ball as well). Defense made quite a few mistakes, Fyssas and Seiteridis are playing very agressive and attack-minded on the flanks. I'm confident Otto can pull it together and make it intresting in the 2nd half.

FORZA ELLAS! :tup: :box: :gr:

Zagorakis.... is terrible in this match.. He's playing just like a typicall Greek player. He's looking for call s from the ref and he's not getting them. Also he hasn't really done anything in the middle other than the diving header...

well if it makes you feel better

zago out and kafes in

and slapingidis in and stelios out

It doesn't make me feel better my friend... It's just that at that stature these guys need to perform better. I'm starting to think that these guys are turning more and more into pre-madonnnas

what can i say except i can't emphasize more that we have not scored in 6 games. today a lot of players were just looking for calls and weren't always getting them. i wanted to see sifakis, nikopolidis played okay made a nice save and held onto the ball.

giourkas was the best player, he made some decent runs that reminded me of last summer and made actually some usefull crosses unlike fyssas, all his crosses were garbage. lakis didn't start so well but played a decent half.

what really pissed me off was all our passes into open space never found their destination and long balls went nowhere the only threat was really giourkas in the right, i know we have injuries (dellas, kats, goumas, amanatidis) but we should have done much better today really.

and can someone describe the 2nd goal? i didn't see it cos my ert-sat feed was buffering at the time

tHE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT WE HAVE NO-ONE THAT CAN MAKE THINGS HAPPEN....

THAT'S WHAT'S MISSING FROM THIS TEAM.  OUR MIDFILEDERS ARE NOT CREATING CHANCES

THANK YOU !!!!!!!!SOMEONE ELSE SAW!!!!!!

people are saying stupid s%$#! about lack of strikers (even i said something after the confed cup) but the real problem and it is a huge problem is the midfield.......it was all too clear this match. Nothing at all is constructed in midfield. it was null. defense was also really crappy amazing with 5 in the back line you could still find open belgians.....or congolese whatever they are

Charisteas was actually very good today, he was working his ass off, made good touches, passes a few duds but overall pretty good but he couldnt do much without proper service and suppport.....

Vryzas was also great....hes not done at all. Just because he didnt score dont mean s%$#!. He moves right, he breaks free, he can hold the ball and link it up, and if you give him a good chance hell finish it.....

the other big problem was set peices. Basinas is finished with them and soon the nationalteam so i hope.........

Karagkounis's corners (he had at least 7 today) were all TERRIBLE. These were seriously crap corners they were basically free fast break's for belgian defense. The organization of the corners was also really bad....Giannakopoulos also doesnt do any corners right... we need to find someone or have someone at Inter teach kara to make a decent corner because i really feel that i myself can take better....

overall my take:

Rehagel did a great job reconstructing the Greek National team, he did the best possible and will be remembered forever. But everyone has to come to an end, Rehagels is near. Its better if we dont reknew his contract and let someone else have a shot at the team, there is a great youth generation ahead and Rehagel only today finally tried new players out (even though they werent all young)...but still not enough to make up for it......there was no reason whatsoever not to give Sifakis a chance second half......Kota melos is shaky sometimes and hes not going to be around forever....

Kota- Melos= its hard to give him a rating. One minute he makes brilliant saves and the next hes being a jackass trying to dribble around Benza instead of clearing it...he was overall good but hes still having his "moments" which are game threatening....

Fyssas--of the better players, solid, worked hard

Kirgiakos---decent...

Kapsis-------utter crap for 90 mins not just his la8os....might not be fit but does that mean u still play stupid? second half he was making crap passes and while the whole team had impressed me by stopping the long ball crap he was the one to spoil it with stupid long passes to be collected right up and sent down to the Benzades....should have been replaced with

Seitaridis-----good defensive skils, but just couldnt cut it on the attacking part....no good service...

Basinas------what do you think? crap once again. Another example of rehagel's stubborness...was better on defense this time around but when it came to distribution it was more saxlamares......hes lost it from set peices too.....

Zagorakis---ok overall.....not much to comment on wasnt particularly great but just did fine but could have done better

Lakis------nobody got him the ball......he played decent the few chances hedid get it....i think he could be useful

Giannakopoulos- surprisingly bad......he didnt run, he was full of poor passes, slack defense...just overall bad.

Karagkounis-------the only player with some real flair on the team....dribbling good, passes were overall good, but shoots like a highschool player....not like an Inter player........was pathetic at corners......

Charisteas-above

----------------------

subs:

Lybe---- a really good player we need him on the team.......made some great passes that opened up belgian defense but a bit weak at controlling the ball....had a good turn and shot on goal and found himself in a good position---

he makes the team in my opinoin definitly at least as a sub

Alexopoulos----decent, needs more experience with AEK, good tackler....i say keep him as a backup if we need him

Salpiggidis---ok.....hes good player but i cant seeing him progress to get a spot on the team regularly.....or even a backup....

Vryzas (see above)

Vyntra---not much time, made a nice tackle, no giant mistakes in his 15 mins

Moras----should have gotten playing time 2nd half over the awful kapsis

Kafes------was overall ok, i think hes worth keeping as a backup......

as for the game overall:

1st half was really lousy.....no chances nothing and the 5-4-1/4-5-1 is garbage

2nd half we played a 4-3-3 and played much more open and was quite releiveing.....unfourtunatly it opened our defense too and the kota saved us a few times along with almost killing us once.... so we made chances and passes ON THE GROUND for a change which was good but problem is Denmark will finish us off if we open our defense like that no doubt.....

The same 11 game after game isnt going to work....the team needs rebuilding......I really dont see us going to Germany next summer, the team would have to pull a massive turnaround and thats not possible unless we can beat Denmark and georgia will be tough too if we cant score.....but who knows? Rehagel has to drop this stuborness crap and throw the crap off the team like Basinas....and open up our game so we can find the net...

Well like I said...you can't bring in these players who don't have any playing time w/ the NT at the very last minute and expect everything to fall into place. And starting one lone striker up front in the first half won't help matters...Salp showed potential but it's too late...Vryzas was good...Lybe was quite good and I would keep him as a sub for the next qualifiers. Noticed how Haristeas dissapeared in the second half? I would use the line up we had against Mexico for the next game, but thats the other thread.

Archived