Phantis Forums

Turkish National Team

Turkish dismay after Istanbul classic

ISTANBUL, Nov 16 (Reuters) - Switzerland scraped into the World Cup on away goals after a 12-year absence following a 4-4 aggregate draw with Turkey in Wednesday's ill-tempered playoff.

Turkey won a pulsating return match 4-2 but the Swiss, leading 2-0 after an impressive performance in Saturday's first leg in Bern, clinched a place at Germany 2006.

Their celebrations were confined to the dressing room as the visiting players quickly left the pitch under a hailstorm of objects thrown by the disappointed home fans.

The end of the match was also marred by clashes between players from both sides as they ran off the field, and an unused Swiss substitute was rushed to hospital following the trouble.

Switzerland had appeared to be cruising when Alex Frei converted a second minute penalty following an Alpay Ozalan handball but Turkey then seemed set to turn the tie around.

Two first-half headed goals from Fenerbahce striker Tuncay Sanli and an early second half penalty from Necati Ates put the home side within one goal of an aggregate victory.

But as the 2002 World Cup semi-finalists threw everyone forward, the Swiss counter attacked and Marco Streller calmly slotted home in the 84th minute to restore their overall lead.

With a minute left, Tuncay headed another goal to complete his hat-trick but it was little consolation for Turkey as Switzerland reached their first finals since 1994.

'I think we will learn lessons from this and we will be better in the future,' said Switzerland coach Koebi Kuhn.

'The Turkey team did not play as I expected. Turkey have very talented players. They did not show their own football but played in the old English style.'

Turkey coach Fatih Terim told Turkish television: 'You have to congratulate our players after they fell 1-0 behind.

'I say well done to them (Switzerland) but I have never seen two such immoral referees both here and there'.

'Some of our players lost their concentration and as a result we conceded two goals.'

Asked about Terim's criticism of the referees, Kuhn added: 'You have to look for the blame elsewhere. When you make a mistake you should not blame the referees'.

The state-run Anatolian news agency said Swiss defender Stephane Grichting, who was on the bench but did not play, was taken to hospital after the clash in the tunnel.

'One of our players was diagnosed as having suffered internal bleeding and was taken to hospital,' said Kuhn. 'I don't know any more.'

The trouble started when Switzerland's Benjamin Huggel appeared to kick Turkey assistant coach Mehmet Ozdilek from behind as they ran off the pitch.

Turkey defender Alpay, mixed up in a similar clash at the end of a Euro 2004 group playoff with England, then seemed to kick Streller as they entered the tunnel and Huggel flew into Alpay from behind, grabbing him around the neck.

It was not clear what happened in the subsequent melee but television pictures showed security personnel holding back players as they headed towards the changing rooms.

Regarding the missiles thrown by the crowd,' Bicacki said: 'It's possible that we'll get another fine from FIFA.

Asked if anything could be done in future he added: 'Yes, but it will take time, Things go slowly, slowly in Turkey.'

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Acrually we can see that Turkey behaviour has not changed for years.... Maybe FIFA should give them a 20 years ban..... :LOL:

Its not the first time that Turks have misbehaved and it has to stop...

Exhibit A: Turkey-FYR Macedonia

UEFA to probe crowd trouble in Turkey

Posted: Thursday June 12, 2003 3:31 PM

NYON, Switzerland (AP) -- Turkey could be fined or ordered to play its next game in an empty stadium after fans threw objects onto the field during the Euro 2004 qualifier against FYR Macedonia in Istanbul, UEFA said Thursday.

FYR Macedonia midfielder Sasko Lazarevski was struck on the head by an object after teammates unfurled an FYR Macedonia flag following a goal by Artim Sakiri which put the visitors ahead 2-1.

Turkey won Wednesday night's game 3-2.

Turkish riot police held up shields to protect FYR Macedonia players taking corner kicks.

UEFA spokesman Mike Lee said the European governing body had opened an investigation into the crowd trouble.

"From what we've seen so far we think there's a basis for disciplinary proceedings," he said. "There were missiles thrown. That is absolutely a breach of regulations."

Lee said UEFA's disciplinary body would consider any sanctions at a meeting next month. He said Turkey could face sanctions ranging from a fine to playing a game without fans allowed to attend.

UEFA's main concern is the Euro 2004 qualifier against England on Oct. 11 in Turkey. The match is likely to decide the winner of the qualifying group. Turkey leads by one point, but England has played one fewer game.

Fearing trouble, English soccer officials have already decided not to take their ticket allocation for the game.

"That is a very important game," Lee said. "Everyone is working extra hard -- from the English FA to the Turkish FA -- to make sure that game takes place in a safe and secure environment."

Meanwhile a Turkish team official condemned the English media for exaggerating the incident and he called on the English FA to send its fans to the game in Istanbul.

"I don't know why the English are making such a big deal of this," said team administrator Can Cobanoglu.

"They're exaggerating. Only four bottles of water were thrown onto the field," he said adding that Turkish fans had been "provoked" by FYR Macedonian players.

"I went and saw [Lazarevski]. Nothing happened to him.

"The English should come here. They should play soccer on the field and stop playing politics," Cobanoglu said.

"If Turkey ends up gets punished for this, England should be thrown out of the entire tournament."

Result: A slap on the wrist

Exhibit B: Turkey vs. England tunnel brawl October 30, 2003.

Uefa fines FA over bust-up

The Football Association has been fined

Acrually we can see that Turkey behaviour has not changed for years.... Maybe FIFA should give them a 20 years ban..... :LOL:

Its not the first time that Turks have misbehaved and it has to stop...

Exhibit A: Turkey-FYR Macedonia

UEFA to probe crowd trouble in Turkey

Posted: Thursday June 12, 2003 3:31 PM

NYON, Switzerland (AP) -- Turkey could be fined or ordered to play its next game in an empty stadium after fans threw objects onto the field during the Euro 2004 qualifier against FYR Macedonia in Istanbul, UEFA said Thursday.

FYR Macedonia midfielder Sasko Lazarevski was struck on the head by an object after teammates unfurled an FYR Macedonia flag following a goal by Artim Sakiri which put the visitors ahead 2-1.

Turkey won Wednesday night's game 3-2.

Turkish riot police held up shields to protect FYR Macedonia players taking corner kicks.

UEFA spokesman Mike Lee said the European governing body had opened an investigation into the crowd trouble.

"From what we've seen so far we think there's a basis for disciplinary proceedings," he said. "There were missiles thrown. That is absolutely a breach of regulations."

Lee said UEFA's disciplinary body would consider any sanctions at a meeting next month. He said Turkey could face sanctions ranging from a fine to playing a game without fans allowed to attend.

UEFA's main concern is the Euro 2004 qualifier against England on Oct. 11 in Turkey. The match is likely to decide the winner of the qualifying group. Turkey leads by one point, but England has played one fewer game.

Fearing trouble, English soccer officials have already decided not to take their ticket allocation for the game.

"That is a very important game," Lee said. "Everyone is working extra hard -- from the English FA to the Turkish FA -- to make sure that game takes place in a safe and secure environment."

Meanwhile a Turkish team official condemned the English media for exaggerating the incident and he called on the English FA to send its fans to the game in Istanbul.

"I don't know why the English are making such a big deal of this," said team administrator Can Cobanoglu.

"They're exaggerating. Only four bottles of water were thrown onto the field," he said adding that Turkish fans had been "provoked" by FYR Macedonian players.

"I went and saw [Lazarevski]. Nothing happened to him.

"The English should come here. They should play soccer on the field and stop playing politics," Cobanoglu said.

"If Turkey ends up gets punished for this, England should be thrown out of the entire tournament."

Result: A slap on the wrist

Exhibit B: Turkey vs. England tunnel brawl October 30, 2003.

Uefa fines FA over bust-up

The Football Association has been fined

You ALL act like children

I DEMAND and analysis about Roma and Roma fans....

For gods sake! This is a WORLDWIDE phenomenon.

I am sure Turkey and maybe Switzerland too will be punished. But the success would be for the players and the fans there to see the punishment for what it is. Not as an act of revence or dicrimination towards them ...

These things pass in football genes and create rivalries we dont need in sport.

Deal with it as grownups for once and talk about the essence of the problem and not about politics, geography or race.

Guest Protathlitis7

mouse where else have foreigners gone and gotten stabbed on multiple occassions? yeah thats real hooliganism man :tup:

its not just people on this forum who beleive this has happened one to many times in the one place. thats why such serious action is being considered

mouse where else have foreigners gone and gotten stabbed on multiple occassions? yeah thats real hooliganism man :tup:

its not just people on this forum who beleive this has happened one to many times in the one place. thats why such serious action is being considered

yeah thats F***ed up and overboard..........but if youre stupid enough to get drunk and pick fights in an foreign and worse yet ISLAMIC country --- thats darwinism.

people have gotten stabbed in Greece too i remember the PAO-OSFP basket game years ago somebody got stabbed in Glyfada.....Mouse is correct its worldwide. I dont call it a phenomenon its just when people get upset and too invested in the game they get a bit crazy, its a natural response though it may not be a correct one. Man has emotions and cant control reactions to them all the time.

Turkey's Hamit Altintop, a Kaiserslautern player who also featured in the match, told Bild it was painful to know the world was talking about the incident.

'You need to know we have a very different mentality. We are more emotional when we lose. We cannot lose,' he was quoted by the paper as saying.

Different mentality? But aren't we all equal?

If any of you don't see that some environments (I'm not saying race or genetics, etc.) deal with defeat in different ways, then I don't know what else to say.

You ALL act like children

I DEMAND and analysis about Roma and Roma fans....

For gods sake! This is a WORLDWIDE phenomenon.

I am sure Turkey and maybe Switzerland too will be punished. But the success would be for the players and the fans there to see the punishment for what it is. Not as an act of revence or dicrimination towards them ...

These things pass in football genes and create rivalries we dont need in sport.

Deal with it as grownups for once and talk about the essence of the problem and not about politics, geography or race.

Mouse i am thanking you for managing this forum fairly.WE Turks are feeling dissapointing about the match.I wonder why Greeks happy so much.I think they want to show how Patrişot they are with attacking Türkiye.We Turks celebtrated Greeks Europan Championship success.İt is really funny we scored 4 goals and eleminated.And supporters of 4. in our gropus are celebrating this situation.

Protathliti...

Last year or the year before that we had dead people in Spain and Portugal I think...

In portugal we went in, picked the cup, and walked out like gentlemen with them giving us a honourable standing ovation!

Yes violence happens everywhere.

Now, there are some nations that fight it. Mind you! Some ways of fighting it may also mean insulting some of yourpersonal rights like having cameras watching every move etc....

It all depends on how much government rely on football and hooliganism to distract people from real life issues.

And despite these efforts bad elements can either act in smaller incidents or travel abroad to cause havock! People dont change that much. They do get managed with a strong arm of law sometimes.

But bad fans are everywhere.

Greece, was up to very recently among the countries that did not tackle hooliganism with the due seriousness it deserves. The Olympics did help us manage a leap forward but we have a long way to go.

But the Bottom line is this. And I hope the Turks in this forum will listen to that side too....

When I see trouble in Greek Football I am supporting the idea of heavy punishment. The pure fans who love the game cannot understand neither accept violence! And every good fan around the world needs to support this effort wherever it may happen!

Turks who love the sport and want violence out must be the first to react and DEMAND that whoever caused parts of these incidents be punished.

Now, I know that Turkey is put at the corner after many relevant events. Well, so the situation needs work...! DO THE WORK!

Lets make this sport better and in the process show the populations that dont understand how this sport can be unifying and beautiful, that they will not get their way!

Discriminating among races, religions, colors or geographical locations can have a logic when its not done through blind hatred. Yes, in Brazil you can have ladies showing their bodies and in the Taliban Rulled Afganistan you may have a woman shot for even showing up....

But the root of the reason why hooliganism and bad attitudes exist lies deep in the core of human soul and we can all feel it in there.... Even the ones who resent it.

The soul needs exercise like the body, and the mind .... Through mutual work and understanding we come closer. And by uniting in a fight agaist these behaviours makes us able to fight them and those who hide behind them more affectivelly.

Now if I need to stand up against it 10 times in Romania and 3 times in Italy so be it... I wont crucify Romanians.

By fighting among us for no reason we only weaken the strength of those who see the problem. We fall into the trap.

Think about it

[Extract is from the Herald Sun Wednesday, November 23rd 2005]

Turkey's assistant coach Mehmet Ozdilek resigned yesterday for his role in the fighting which erupted after last weeks 2006 World Cup Playoff loss to Switzerland. Ozdilek was accused of sparking the trouble at Istanbul's Sukru Saracoglu stadium after newspapers published pictures showing him trying to trip a Swiss player as the visiting team rushed to the dressing rooms after the final whistle.

guys before rashly criticizing the Turks, why do none of you take into consideration what the Swiss did???

GAME 1 - BERN, SWITZERLAND

- Swiss striker Alexandre Frei swore at and spat at head coach Fatih Terim.

- Ludovic Magnin threatened to take a shot at our substitute Tekke Fatih on 3 mins.

- After brought on, Valon Behrami, who has a TURKISH grandmother, swore in Turkish at Selcuk Sahin and at our assisstant coach Mehmet Ozdilek.

- Johann Vogel accused Turkish players of acting theatretically before and after the game.

- Fatih Terim couldn't make his post-match speech because of Swiss bodyguard's coarse behaviour (pushing him insistently out of the conference room).

GAME 2 - KADIKOY, TURKEY

- Tranquillo Barnetta kicked Emre's leg on 11 mins.

- Phillip Deggen or whatever his name kicked Hakan Sukur in stomach.

- Johann Vogel and Raphael Wicky had a minor war of words as first half ended with Hakan Sukur and Necati Ates.

- Swiss players, led by their bitch captain Johann Vogel ran off to the exit as soon as the final whistle blew. This is the action which drove our players and coaches like Emre, Alpay and Ozdilek mad.

- A horny Ozdilek tried to tackle Behrami as the bastard Swiss was running off and a horrendous kick by Benjamin Huggel on Mehmet Ozdilek followed. After seeing this incident Alpay went and tried to hit Huggel but he hit Streller instead and Huggel punched and wrestled Alpay then.

- In the corridors, Emre wanted to reach Vogel and confessed that he would kick him madly if he ever caught him. Zuberbuhler pushed Serhat Akin while Hamit Altintop tried to seperate them.

So, FIFA who should be objective MUST BE OBJECTIVE or else their decision will be doubted. I expect a handful of bans for players (Emre, Alpay and Necati in Turkey and Huggel, Behrami in Switzerland) and a good deal of fine for us (around €100,000 - €200,000). FIFA should not and cannot ban TURKEY. It's not so easy to do so...

- Swiss players, led by their bitch captain Johann Vogel ran off to the exit as soon as the final whistle blew. This is the action which drove our players and coaches like Emre, Alpay and Ozdilek mad.

when the whistle is blown u can do whatever you want. Thats no excuse for turkish players to get mad. They were running because of missles thrown at them i heard.

Also i think it would be hillarious if Vogel starts and scores vs Fener tonight.....but i think hell be harassed pretty badly if he does......

They were running because of missles thrown at them i heard.

1- Then I can go and kill the ref after the whistle is blown... Is it what you mean by saying "when the whsitle is blown you can do wutever you want"???

2- Say or write things that you KNOW... not what you heard... until they started to run off like little horny bitches nothing was thrown at them...

1. Dont be ridiculous. You know what I mean. Of course you cant kill the referee. Because in Turkey it is illegal to kill the referee or anybody else----oh unless theyre an ethnic minority of course :whistle: Theres nothing saying you can run into the dressing room.

2. I will write whatever I damn well please. If I wish to write what I HEARD, I am allowed to. I did not say it was a fact, I acknowledged there was some doubt in there for you.

Oh so youre trying to tell me------Turkish fans started throwing things because Swiss players started running towards the dressing room? I highly doubt people would throw things because they are running towards the locker room.

People RUN from things THROWN at them. You know thats how its always worked and in Turkey its not a first time incident of throwing things just like in most of europe. Even if the crowd did throw because the Swiss were running---how would that justify anything?

guys before rashly criticizing the Turks, why do none of you take into consideration what the Swiss did???

GAME 1 - BERN, SWITZERLAND

- Swiss striker Alexandre Frei swore at and spat at head coach Fatih Terim.

- Ludovic Magnin threatened to take a shot at our substitute Tekke Fatih on 3 mins.

- After brought on, Valon Behrami, who has a TURKISH grandmother, swore in Turkish at Selcuk Sahin and at our assisstant coach Mehmet Ozdilek.

- Johann Vogel accused Turkish players of acting theatretically before and after the game.

- Fatih Terim couldn't make his post-match speech because of Swiss bodyguard's coarse behaviour (pushing him insistently out of the conference room).

GAME 2 - KADIKOY, TURKEY

- Tranquillo Barnetta kicked Emre's leg on 11 mins.

- Phillip Deggen or whatever his name kicked Hakan Sukur in stomach.

- Johann Vogel and Raphael Wicky had a minor war of words as first half ended with Hakan Sukur and Necati Ates.

- A horny Ozdilek tried to tackle Behrami as the bastard Swiss was running off and a horrendous kick by Benjamin Huggel on Mehmet Ozdilek followed. After seeing this incident Alpay went and tried to hit Huggel but he hit Streller instead and Huggel punched and wrestled Alpay then.

- In the corridors, Emre wanted to reach Vogel and confessed that he would kick him madly if he ever caught him. Zuberbuhler pushed Serhat Akin while Hamit Altintop tried to seperate them.

So, FIFA who should be objective MUST BE OBJECTIVE or else their decision will be doubted. I expect a handful of bans for players (Emre, Alpay and Necati in Turkey and Huggel, Behrami in Switzerland) and a good deal of fine for us (around €100,000 - €200,000). FIFA should not and cannot ban TURKEY. It's not so easy to do so...

Finally A turk journalist who can say the thruth

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Starting with the National Teams' leaders and including the media and fans, we made many mistakes in the last couple of matches with Switzerland. We exaggerated many things. For example, the Turkish National Team was not treated badly in Bern nor were they here. The terrible treatment that was reported never occurred.

I spoke to journalists who traveled with the team to Switzerland and back. Here is what Cengiz Semercioglu wrote for the Hurriyet: “If I hadn't seen the match in Switzerland myself, I might have believed the reports. Not even the slightest fight occurred. Fatih Terim says that "they whistled during our national anthem." Well, the same thing happens in Turkey during every match, and even during European Cup matches. While we made the Swiss football team wait 90 minutes to get through passport control, the Turkish team, and even the Turkish fans, passed through immigration in Switzerland in five minutes. I'm not joking. I have been to tens of countries, and the fastest immigration I've ever passed through was at the Swiss airport. On top of that, statements by Terim and Davut Disli only aggravated the fans' behavior. At the airport in Turkey, people were holding posters with swear words directed at Swiss player Frei. I can only imagine what would appear in the newspapers here if the same were done to us. But the same newspapers, which protested the slightest provocation from the Swiss, have published headlines like "Pisvicre," (Dirty Switzerland). As someone who went to Switzerland and watched the match there, I can comfortably say that they did not deserve this treatment from us."

Cengiz is one of the few Turkish journalists who can write the truth without being afraid. We were so tense, as a society, before this match that it could have ended catastrophically. We forgot, somehow, that in the end, it was only a match. We turned it into a life-or-death situation.

Before anything, as i suspect you jsut have read Turkish newspaper, I give you the comment of one of your journalist made. Stop to believe what The Terim group has instigated.

You are out, That is it and by the way good performance tonight for Ferne... :LOL:

Wow, things are starting to get ugly in here.

Just forget it. What happened is in the past. Heavy punishments will be handed down, especially to turkey, and we hope that everyone learns their lesson. ;)

Greece is out, Turkey is out. We bow out like gentleman, while others keep kicking after the game is over. :box:

But maybe it's because one of us is european champions :gr:

and the other is just... :whistle:

Sorry to tease, but some people need to take anger management courses.

Now hold those angry replies to this post and you'll be past lesson 1.

• 2 weeks later...

hey, calm down and let us all get rid of the brawl that happened. we should think about the fall in our football in general. since 2003 confederations cup, we've been having a tough time. the glorious days of 2002 and 2003 are already two tournaments back. we had and have some sparkling youngsters but they have trouble maturing when they come to 22-23. keeping this in mind, we can say the following:

- Tuncay turned out to be a typical European flamboyant winger who was a worldwide starlet during 2003 Conf. Cup.

- Our defenders Servet and Toraman never achieved to go beyond their abilities and even took a few steps back in their career.

- Gokdeniz is now a washed up idiot who has been banned from any football competition for six months because of taking part in an illegal betting scandal.

- Volkan is day-by-day becoming an erratic goalkeeper who could already have come a possible Akinfeev.

- Our clubs have problems in promoting able youngsters which makes them become crappy dudes after 2-3 seasons (guys like Cafercan, Arda, Olcan and Ergin are now forgotten).

----------------Glory days are a nice part of the past now-------------------------------

WE SHOULD FACE IT!!!

• 1 month later...

Archived