Phantis Forums

Turkish National Team

http://www.streamload.com/shaolinax/Kicking-Beni.wmv

watch at this video and look who have started fight. Turk official kick Berhami, then Huggel give him back then Gritching is knock down by a turk player. :angry:

Now I have seen it all. What kind of behavior is that? I think it's a shame that the whole world sees a few turks kicking butts and not playing fair (plus fans greeting the Swiss at the airport) and they think the whole nation is uncivilized. Doesn't your national team know when they are on the field wearing their red and white that they are not only representing themselves, but the entire nation of turkey?

P.S. Did anyone see the Turkey vs. Greece game? I missed it and was wondering if similar behavior was taking place during that game.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Protathlitis7

what is wrong with you eyes?

it is clearly the swisse player (red) kicking the turkish coach

and then it looks like the swiss player starts trying to wrestle the turk

good result. turkey didnt deserve anything more. they werent the second best team in our group.

Turkey couldnt qualify for the World Cup that we came 3rd in 3 years ago. They were feeling mixed emotions. and suisse you talk about Turkey as if the whole nation is corrupt...i'm a Turk and when you say this i feel that you are talking bout me!! I find this insultive and racist. what happened in the game happened for a reason. Turkey thought they were the one who should have qualified..with the referee's decisions against Turkey they feel they have been targeted. Tekke had a penalty that wasnt granted towards the end of the match. EVERY TURK WAS PISSED.

what is wrong with you eyes?

it is clearly the swisse player (red) kicking the turkish coach

and then it looks like the swiss player starts trying to wrestle the turk

File, please look at the video again, carefully. The turkish side started this "kick the opponent after the game" business. The turk coach was the first to kick. Press play and look at the coach wearing black all the way to the far left side of the screen, and at 0:06 seconds into the video you will see him kick Berhami, who will also stumble a bit.

Turn up the volume. The first "boing" sound effect will also help, in case you have something wrong with your eyes.

Prothlatitis

What is wrong with eyes guy.... The first to kick is turk assistant coach. I'm not speaking about the whole nation but just about most of the turkish players, the instance of Turkish football and their coach. You deserve to be out of this worldcup and the next one as well. If the ref have been strict enough you would probably got that penalty but you would not end up the game. Because the way your players behave torward the ref was absolutely awfull. He should have sent off at least 3 of your players for pushing him, insulting him etc...

Now about the incident you have related during the Turk National Anthem in Switzerland, I totally disagree with that but is what you are always doing when other national teams are coming in your country.

Hymne national sifflé

This is one Turk comment on another forum:

After the game i am trying to catch any information i can through internet and media. What i see from here everybody is thinking that Turks are Barbarians and they always act like this. ANd this is what i cannot agree. Because of couple nonsense people noone can blame a whole country. There are a lot of people trying to change things but it is not easy because the Media is protecting the real guilty person. You can see very easy by just a scene they think that they can edit a scene and everybody will believe them. Some people are still trying to live in early 20th century because if they will face the reality then they will loose every power they have in their minds. For the last 24 hours i am asking anyone who can know what happened in Switzerland because Fatih Terim and media claims lots of things happened in Switzerland and i dont believe them. I have been to Switzerland several times and never faced anything they are claiming. I also wathced the game and totally Switzerland deserved to win the first game and if you didnt win the penalty in the second game i dont think we would won the game.

Fatih Terim , Davut Disli and Fatih Altayli these three people started everything. One is the coach , one is from Turkey Football Federation and one is newspaper manager. These 3 people must receive serious bans because if you are looking for a guilty person these are the ones. If anyone needs help according to their media conferences before the game i can supply you the translations.

http://www.sabah.com.tr/2005/11/14/yaz1437-80-132.html for exampole in here :

Bir başka rezalet İsviçre’nin takımımıza, oyuncularımıza takındığı çirkin tavır. Hiçkimse “Biz onlara insanlık dersi verelim” gibi abuk sabuk laflar etmesin. Bir ders verilmesi gerekiyorsa bu insanlık dersi değil, “Pislik öyle yapılmaz, böyle yapılır” dersi olmalı. İsviçre takımı İstanbul’a gelirken geldiğine, geleceğine pişman edilmeli. Gümrükten otelin önüne kadar ne gerekiyorsa yapmak durumundayız. Çünkü sporda rövanşı almak isteyen maçı kurallarıyla oynamalıdır. Bu kuralların nasıl olduğunu İsviçre gösterdi. Aynı kurallarla oynamalıyız.

Another unacceptable thing is Switzerland players attitude against our players. I cannot accept the sentence lets show them humanity. If we need to give Swiss people a lesson it shall be “Show who is thougher and who can act like a jerk". Switzerland must be sorry for their trip to Istanbul. We must start from airport till the end of the game. Because if someone want to win the game they must play with the rules and Switzerland showed us how to play and we must be way worse them.

Some words cannot be translated cause they are really old words in Turkish. I tried my best with the translation.

I have sent this to the FIFA for their information

Turkey couldnt qualify for the World Cup that we came 3rd in 3 years ago. They were feeling mixed emotions. and suisse you talk about Turkey as if the whole nation is corrupt...i'm a Turk and when you say this i feel that you are talking bout me!! I find this insultive and racist. what happened in the game happened for a reason. Turkey thought they were the one who should have qualified..with the referee's decisions against Turkey they feel they have been targeted. Tekke had a penalty that wasnt granted towards the end of the match. EVERY TURK WAS PISSED.

If you have a problem with the officiating you complain to Fifa.

Attacking the opposition team doesn't solve what you perceive as bad officiating.

Here is Canada we follow Ice hockey with much the same passion as Europeans follow Soccer but when our teams (including National teams) get a bad call that may even cost us a world championship we don't physically attack the opposition.

Hockey is a much more physical sport that soccer so you think bad blood would exist even more so at the end of the games but it rarely happens.......we accept the decisions and then move on. That's the way sports should be everywhere.

I'd like to see one Turkish member of this board (or any board) come out and say that the team and/or the officials post game behavior was uncalled for.

I'm sorry, there must be something wrong with my eyes because I missed it the first time. I just noticed it when watching the video again. Turk #4 (Alpay?) kicks Swiss player #11 at 0:14 seconds into the video. Then Huggel, for the second time, tries to give it back to the turkish side.

That Huggel guy is no wimp. When his teammates were getting kicked around, thrown objects at, and surrounded by thousands of turkish fans; he didn't run off scared. He really standed up (no pun intended) for his teammates. There are few players that would do that in such a hostile environment.

Guest Protathlitis7

s%$#! I was wrong

what kid of a joke are these turks. you ask us not not to generalise and then your assistant coach embaresses you infront of the hwole of europe by kicking a swiss national team player

first suisse..i dont believe that those words came from a turk.. could u supply the website for me? i dont think anyone would critisize Fatih Terim like that, the every1 loves him. wat some of our players did was wrong but wat about what the swiss players did. n jarvis i wasn complainin i was replyin to a topic to explain wat every turk felt like..

Sukur this is the link:

http://www.sabah.com.tr/2005/11/14/yaz1437-80-132.html

And you (National Team) better to kick off Terim of the team quickly if you don't want to be out for the 2010 WC. I think FIFA can closed their eyes if Turkish federation say that players, fans and officials have been manipulated by Terim and really it seems to be the case.

You misunderstood--this guy:Fatih Altayli, firstly talks about the concerns for fatih terim and about the substitution mistakes he made in the first leg. ( this was posted on 14-11-05).... second he says that turkish fans should be like this::::

we shouldnt say "lets teach them how to be humans" ...................blah blah..........instead we should make them regret they came to Istanbul..."they showed us how they played in the first leg and we'll show them the same in the second".....

Sorry Sukur,

Your coach Fathi Terim is an idiot. He should be banned of coaching, we all have seen is attitude during game and after game. Those kind of coachs are bad because they instigate violence.

The translation of the press conference before game:

Another unacceptable thing is Switzerland players attitude against our players. I cannot accept the sentence lets show them humanity. If we need to give Swiss people a lesson it shall be “Show who is thougher and who can act like a jerk". Switzerland must be sorry for their trip to Istanbul. We must start from airport till the end of the game. Because if someone want to win the game they must play with the rules and Switzerland showed us how to play and we must be way worse them.

it wasnt Fatih Terim who said that!!!!! It was Fatih Altayli.. who is a Sabah(Turkish newspaper) reporter. Fatih Terim doesnt and hasnt initiated abuse to anyone. He is one of the greatest managers in the world...He led Galatasaray to UEFA Cup success he also coached Fiorentina and AC Milan...

Unbelievable.

I hope Fifa has a heavy penalty to whoever is guilty. Football is not war and is not meant to be. I dont want to generalise but these things keep happening in the same old places I am as passionate as anyone for my club and my country but some things are unaceptable.

I refuse to believe that most turkish fans agree with this kind of terrorist atmosphere. Some people embarass themselves to the eyes of the world without noticing.

Football related I prefered Turkey to go to the WC because Basturk, Emre,Hakan and Tuncay are amazing players but nevertheless the Swiss showed some nice team spirit.

first suisse..i dont believe that those words came from a turk.. could u supply the website for me? i dont think anyone would critisize Fatih Terim like that, the every1 loves him. wat some of our players did was wrong but wat about what the swiss players did. n jarvis i wasn complainin i was replyin to a topic to explain wat every turk felt like..

OK....perhaps I shouldn't have said "you" in my sentence but I could have said "the turkish National team and their officials"

In either case what happened at the end of the game is not acceptable.

You have also mentioned that some Suiss players and/ or the teams action should be looked at......

Indeed it should and I believe it will.

However the biggest penalty should be reserved for those who initiated this and whoever caused the biggest problem during the fighting. Only the official report to Fifa will clarify this and we have to wait for that to happen.

One thing about banning that we have learned in Canada.....our junior National hockey team got in a bench clearing fight with Russia over 10 years ago and we were the favourite to win the gold......We were banned from the tournament and deserved to be.

We haven't done that since so we learned our lesson.

Huggel expects ban after Turkey violence

BERLIN, Nov 18 (Reuters) - Swiss midfielder Benjamin Huggel expects to be suspended for lashing out at Turkey's assistant coach after Switzerland's World Cup playoff victory.

'I am counting on a ban because of my kick,' he told Germany's Bild newspaper on Friday as players from both sides recounted more of what happened in Wednesday's night of mayhem in Istanbul.

The post-match violence on the pitch left one Swiss player in hospital and outraged world body FIFA, whose president Sepp Blatter has promised tough action after scenes that he said had trampled fair play underfoot.

Huggel, who plays for Eintracht Frankfurt in Germany's Bundesliga, said he had been gripped by fear and panic and insisted his attack on Mehmet Ozdilek was retaliatory.

'I'm only happy that I came out of there alive,' he said.

Bild showed a picture of Ozdilek with his foot outstretched as Swiss players passed him after the final whistle.

Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Tranquillo Barnetta said three Turkish officials had tried to kick him in the leg while goalkeepers' coach Erich Burgener said he had been attacked by stewards in the stadium tunnel.

'It was unbelievable,' Burgener told French sports daily L'Equipe.

'I was punched in the face and was hit on the hip (where he has a replacement). I was beaten up by stewards. When I saw four or five guys come and beat me while they were supposed to protect me, I got really scared,' he added.

Swiss midfielder Johann Lonfat was quoted by L'Equipe on Thursday as saying that Turkish police intervened soon after the players had left the pitch and joined some Turkish players in beating some of their opponents.

Television footage showed Turkish defender Alpay Ozalan kicking Swiss forward Marco Streller, who plays for Stuttgart, as the players entered the tunnel.

Huggel then grabbed Alpay, of German side Cologne, round the neck.

Switzerland defender Stephane Grichting needed hospital treatment after being kicked in the stomach in the free-for-all. The Auxerre player needed a catheter inserted and will be out for up to 10 days.

'It was hell. I have never experienced something as brutal as that before,' said Swiss defender Philipp Degen of Borussia Dortmund.

'Even the next day he had blood in his urine and terrible pains. It was awful how they attacked him.'

Turkey's Hamit Altintop, a Kaiserslautern player who also featured in the match, told Bild it was painful to know the world was talking about the incident.

'You need to know we have a very different mentality. We are more emotional when we lose. We cannot lose,' he was quoted by the paper as saying.

Turkey, surprise semi-finalists at the 2002 World Cup in Japan, won Wednesday's match 4-2 but went out on the away goals rule with the aggregate score 4-4.

The visiting team left the pitch under a hail of objects thrown by the crowd with players from both sides clashing as they ran.

AC Milan midfielder Johann Vogel was cynical about the causes of the brawl.

'We don't have to think too far. It was planned,' said the player, who returns to Istanbul on Wednesday when Milan take on Fenerbahce in the Champions League.

Turkey hit back in war of words with Blatter

ISTANBUL, Nov 17 (Reuters) - Turkey criticised FIFA president Sepp Blatter on Thursday for commenting on the violent scenes that followed the World Cup playoff defeat by Switzerland before an investigation.

'I am disappointed to hear the statement of the FIFA president before the reports of the match are unveiled,' Mehmet Ali Sahin, state minister responsible for sports, told a news briefing.

'He spoke as a Swiss fan instead of as a president... These kinds of statements are misleading the decision-makers.'

Earlier, Blatter promised tough action from world soccer's ruling body after the match in Istanbul which was marred by clashes in the tunnel involving players from both teams.

The punishment after the inquiry could range from a warning to the suspension of any football association found to be at fault.

'If such a decision is taken it is going to be very controversial. We expect FIFA to evaluate the event objectively,' Sahin said.

Turkish Football Federation chairman Levent Bicakci also criticised Blatter's comments.

'Our federation finds the FIFA president's statement really odd and we will do whatever we can to clarify this event and to make sure that Switzerland gets the same penalty as Turkey,' he told a news conference.

Turkish newspapers reignited anger at the behaviour of the Swiss team during the two-legged playoff, lashing out at referee Frank de Bleeckere and echoing Turkey coach Fatih Terim who described the referees as 'immoral' and 'thieves'.

They also voiced concern that Turkey faces severe punishment from FIFA over a hailstorm of missiles thrown at the Swiss players and clashes between the players as they left the pitch at the end of the game.

'I personally do not think the behaviour of players towards each other could lead to a penalty for a country, that kind of behaviour is very spontaneous and cannot be stopped immediately,' Sahin said.

He did, however, offer a guarded apology.

'Our hospitality is much more important than the result we get on the field. I was disappointed by the behaviour of some fans toward Swiss players at the airport but the Swiss team has exaggerated this to the world,' Sahin said.

Archived