Phantis Forums

Euro 2024 Group B - Republic of Ireland - Greece (13 Oct. 2023 21:45 EET, Aviva Stadium, Dublin)

Dutch Eagle

The few things I took away from this win is Giakoumakis deserves to start instead of Pavlidis from now on. His bullet header and his positioning to start the 2nd goal told me everything. He is our best ST at the moment outside of Douvikas who didn’t get called. We are lucky to have so many inform forwards at the moment. Wish that could be said at CM.

We still desperately need a 6 who is fast and can make quick passes and  decisions. I saw Mantalos playing as the 6 at times because I assume poyet thought Kourbelis was getting caught out for his slow moving and thinking with the ball. Which I agree and believe was the case. Midfield in general needs improving and different players.

Vlachodimos saved us a handful of times. Especially in the beginning of the first half. He did well considering he had been criticised a lot by Benfica fans. 

I’m still not convinced in having Bakasetas as our captain and starter. I don’t think I ever will be. Fortounis is way more creative and better player in general and I’ll always stand by that. 

Happy to see the team win and succeed but there are still a lot of question marks as usual with player selections.

• Like it 1

On 10/14/2023 at 6:34 PM, Dean97 said:

The few things I took away from this win is Giakoumakis deserves to start instead of Pavlidis from now on. His bullet header and his positioning to start the 2nd goal told me everything. He is our best ST at the moment outside of Douvikas who didn’t get called. We are lucky to have so many inform forwards at the moment. Wish that could be said at CM.

We still desperately need a 6 who is fast and can make quick passes and  decisions. I saw Mantalos playing as the 6 at times because I assume poyet thought Kourbelis was getting caught out for his slow moving and thinking with the ball. Which I agree and believe was the case. Midfield in general needs improving and different players.

Vlachodimos saved us a handful of times. Especially in the beginning of the first half. He did well considering he had been criticised a lot by Benfica fans. 

I’m still not convinced in having Bakasetas as our captain and starter. I don’t think I ever will be. Fortounis is way more creative and better player in general and I’ll always stand by that. 

Happy to see the team win and succeed but there are still a lot of question marks as usual with player selections.

Good points. Fortounis is the best pure footballer Greece has, period. Imagine having him in the lineup today.

• Like it 1

GREECE

1 Vlachodimos(GK)

15 Rota

4 Mavropanos

2 Retsos

3 Koulierakis

11 Bakasetas(Captain)

6 Kourbelis

20 Mantalos

7 Masouras

21 Tsimikas