Phantis Forums

will shoum do what we hope hell do

choc13

with the arrival of equi, i believe zautautus doesnt belong in the starting lineup no more purely and simply because hes a complete waste of space, is slow, does not complement basinas whatsoever, and should be left cleaning the oranges. basinas can do the the dirty work on his own, ithink its ridiculous we have two defensive midfielders in our starting 11. Didnt this clown of a coach emphasise he wants an attacking minded team at the start of the yr. id be playing basinas as lone def mf, sapanis, on the left, sanmartean on the rite,,,,and equi as the main main in the middle of the park. WE know this aint gonna happen cause zauti was brought over by his best mate shoum ,,hope im wrong though

Its not that Zuta is a waste of space...he does do something...ok who am i kidding about the only positive asset he brings to the team is he can shoot...however him and Basinas simply cant feature in the same team. Now, our new headache is that Equi and Sapanis prolly wont feature in the same 11 as they are playing similar positions. My understanding is both are quite the left sided players. Basinas and Sanmartean have what I believe the potential to make a great central midfield pairing. Basinas is the PAO Roy Keane...his our leader, our DM and works hard...ie the dirty work, and he could complement Sanmartean and Eqi brilliantly, yes on his own with Zuta. In fact Basinas plays much better when Zuta does not feature next to him.

Whether or not Shoum realises this or will is a different story.

As for the right side of midfield, Michaelsen is only short term solution, he is well in his 30s and we cant keep on asking him to do the job he has done for the past 2 seasons for a long time. Pap can drop onto the right side but I dun really want to see him there. Seitaridis makes a brilliant wing back on the right but he needs support. Perhaps if we can fit Sanmartean on the right and Equi in the middle and Sapanis on the left. Perhaps...Im not the coach though and I aint buying in transfer seasons...

PS: Sapanis definitely gets revelation of the season...keep up the good work!

:box: :box: :tup:

I cannot understand all the critisism that Schum is receiving from day 1 until the present moment.

I am not saying that he is the perfect coach or that he has not made tactical mistakes. He has made them. Who can forget Old Trafford or the first 4 matches in the Champions League where he tried to play 4-4-2.

The fact however remains that Schum has managed to keep us in contention of the leaugue despite the injuries to key players , despite the loss of Kolkka, Karagounis and Lymperopoulos. He has gelled a team with 7 new signings last summer and 5 new last month. We did not lose in Rizoupoli, are still in Europe, and have accumulated more points this year than last at this stage.

Let us not forget that he brought forward a player we had forgotten existed (Sapanis) and sticks with him.

Who can forget Old Trafford or the first 4 matches in the Champions League where he tried to play 4-4-2.

How can u not forget that! Old Trafford was just painful and than the first 4 games...there are only six so he stuffed almost 2/3 of the time in Champions League.

It is alot.

I think that most people are judging Schum for his blunders in the Champions League and not for the Greek League. He has done a good job in Greece. In Europe he messed up big time and made some amends in the finale at Ibrox against Rangers.

I am hopeful that the championship will be ours this year

Lalin, Im one of the first ppl to put there hands up and confess that I criticised Shum from Day 1, however he has somewhat silenced me lately. Im trying to give credit where credit is due, like the Ibrox match, Rizopoulis, 4 points on AEK, Sapanis. Even Epalle. And yes the amount of injuries we have had.

However, he isnt exactly doing hard work to get us one point off OSFP, and at that, that aint an achievement. We shouldnt be celebrating or getting cocky now that were close. OSFP havent been crash hot this season, and it doesnt say much when Giovanni is top goalscorer. They have not even a handful of consistent performers that help thjem maintain wins against lower teams...than they crashed miserably out of Europe...im talking of players liek Stoltidis (that goal against us), yes ok Giovanni, Castillo, Karembeu. Even Djordjevic has not reached the level of performance we all know he can.

Shoum I believe can relate to our players within the squad, however its his understanding of the game and his tactical knowledge that Im worried about. Like you said in Europe we looked very vulnerable tactically and physically in all aspects of the game. Only against Stuttgart and Rangers we showed potential. The Man Utd game in Athens was simply a stalemate. I could count the number of chances we had on one hand. Epalle who came on as a sub that game had our first shot on goal. He just kept faith in the one or two systems he knows.

Yes he has gelled a team together, so many transfers now and pre season but that was always going to happen. Dimi was prolly the first transfer to find his feet in the 11, than came Epalle and thumbs up for his work with Sapanis, but there is alot of room for improvement. Lets hope Equi can provide a spark that we need and make a strong challenge to the title, bc Shoum still has alot of work ahead of him and Im still hazy on whether his competent enough for it. The Auxerre game in France will also prove alot on how much Shoum has learnt this season.

I am hopeful that the championship will be ours this year

I am hopeful as well. We all are.

PS: I ask you this, if we didnt have the amount of injuries we have had this season, how do u think Sapanis would have faired in the team?

Sapanis would probably (or most definitely) be stuck out of the starting 18. Sure , injuries to konstantinidis, sanmartean, Maric gave him the chance , but he has stuck with him although lucian and pantelis are ok again. And I hope he will continue to stick with him. At least as a sub, as I dont think he will fit in when Michalis returns. We will probably go with Equi on the left , Zuta and Basinas in the middle and Michaelsen or Epalle on the right with Pap and Michalaki inattack.

Do u think that Sapanis could play more central midfield and take instead of Zuta? I think it could work

Hey there, to all soccer fans and the friends of PAO!

This is my first post and i would like to greet you all!

As i live nearby Leoforos, i have easy access to all Pao activities. The reason why i took the time to register is that i would like to say my opinion about zutautas.

I haven't missed a match of Pao from the beginning of the season (most of them from tv of course) and i have a very clear opinion about this player. Without a doubt, he is the biggest palto Pao has signed in the last 10 years!

Schum is making a crime not only because he puts two defensive midfielders in the game, but especially bc he puts zutautas. The only thing he does, in the entire game, is cutting off a ball or two and takes a shot, if he gets the ball by chance. In many games, the man sees the ball and goes in the opposite direction as like he fears it!!

Schum can't be that blind! The man is ntimeno ksilo...

P.S. I think Xanthopoulos shouldn't have made that statement about Eqi. Beside the fact that it is too soon to judge him, he is also an athlete and athletes can't talk that way about each other. Karpetopoulos made a smart comment yesterday. He said that we shouldn't critisize so easily and in that manner foreign players who come to play in Greece, especially from soccer-advanced countries like Argentina. He said that if Xanthopolous was to play in Rosario Central the crowd would probably lough at him....

File mou Pirate:

I don;t live in Greece and I am jealous that you live so close and can go and see the team play.

Tell me this please, what is the general mood of PAO fans about Vardinnogiannis? I know that TH13 want him out but how about the rest? (apart from the malakes PALEFIP).

What do you think? Is there any chance that Vardinnogiannis will sell and go? Will Giannakopoulos brothers buy?

i have not watched all thge games but i have seen enough to realize that we do pretty well when we stack our midfield BUT only when we play with 2 strikers.....with zutautus in there (which will not change as long as shoum is the coahc) a 3-5-2 is very practical as it would provide depth while still letting one or two of our midfield players roam offensively(gonzalez/sapanis/sanmartean/mb epalle) with 5 in the middle we dont get caught not marking defesively and it gives a chnce to attack alittle....i would like to see our 4-4-2 back, but if shoum insists on playing zutautus, then it would not work...but, i dont really think a 3-5-2 would work vs auxerre as they have cisse and other good attacking players....we will need 4 defenders back there to cover....i could go on forever, so ill only analyze the upcoming games when the topics arise....overall, shoum is doing...alright....

I don;t live in Greece and I am jealous that you live so close and can go and see the team play.

Dude Im in the same boat and Im dying of jealousy.

The 4-4-2 system would work without Zuta. So everybody thus knows with Shum we will never see 4-4-2 work. 3-5-2 will not work in France unless we play it very defensively. We can flood the midfield against Auxerre but we also risk a counter attack and with the likes of Cisse around the counter attack will be damn too quick for us with 3 in the back. Mind you Henriksen aint exactly the quickest player on the park. It all depends on how well they can play this system and if the midfield does its job to a tee. We wont get many chances to break free in attack in France so whatever chances come our way we have to bury.

And yes pao123, I agree that with the 3-5-2 in place someone in midfield will have the ability to roam around in midfield offensively, but Basinas has to cover at all times. Seitaridis also as a wing back must be aware when he goes for runs up the wing, he has to come as quickly as he went up back to defense bc Ive seen him many a time casually jog back (Stuttgart in Athens). I also think Michaelsen could do us a big job in France as well! Epalle and Sapanis could be threatening. Lets hope Equi finds his feet by than!

:box:

Well, my friend Panos, i 'll tell u what i receive from Pao fans here in Athens. I know that we re out of the topic here but i hope the moderator could forgive a brief comment...

None of the fans (apart from gate13) is spending too much time with the Vardi case. I dont think that if he left there would be many to grieve though... I am also tired of him.

One thing is for sure, Vardi wants desperately to win the title, even though most of the times his actions are not in the right way. The dioikisi yesterday released an announcement where they complain about Kaznaferis and the mafia of oly. Surely there's been a while from the last time they decided to do something serious.

Yesterday i watched a little of the poreia about the stadium. The fans are mostly concerned about this, the last weeks.

Now, to get us back into the subject, i predict Schum will play 3-5-2 against Auxerre too. But it will be 3-5-2 on paper. I think in the end we' ll see a 5-3-2 with Sapanis as dekari. On the other hand if neither Konstantinou or Olisadebe are able to play, maybe we'll see something similar with the tactic in the match against Ionikos.

Finally, i would like to clarify something. I dont want zutautas to play, not for the reason he doesn't fit in the 3-5-2. I don't want him to play bc he doesn't offer anything. A million times to put Sapanis in his place!

My friends my only concern is that gonzales will not get the support to play his natural game, with people like basinas.

I saw the game against ionikos over the weekend and gonzales showed some quality moments on the park. But what became apparent to me, was that basinas was not combining with him on the field.

He seemed to be avoiding utilising him on the park. I am sick and tired seeing him taking every free kick, corner etc...

I beleive there will be conflict with gonzales on the park.

What are yopur thoughts in this matter!!!!!!!

Well, Basinas did refuse to take the penalty against Ionikos, and rumours have it that he's a bit pissed off that the crowed asked for Gonzalez to take the penalty against Apollon.

Now, although it is understandable for a player like Basinas who has been the leader of the team for so many years and has been cursed upon a thousand times from the fans to be a bit stiff when someone noone knows anything about comes and out of the blue the crowd treats him like a hero.

In that case, someone should remind mr. Basinas that in the worst case scenario, if mr Gonzalez is a sack of potatoes, everyone will revert to cursing him, and so mr Basinas will be reliefed for a while. In the best case scenario, Gonzalez will help the team to a title, the fans will be happy, all of Greece will be relieved from the manic depressive anxiety of a large group of it's populace, and all will be well. No one will curse him no more.

The gavroi have been satisfied since 2000 with their achievements so they will not be bitter for too long. The aektzides have their own problems and will be looking forward to Demis as the poor pilgrims are encouraged by the wealthy to look up in the sky for a saviour that's not there and the Paokia will be ecstatic because they've reached CL for the first time. Panionios will have had a nice season again, Irakilis too, and us, well, we'll have the look of an acid junky and the pride of a protestant in our faces for a whole year. The only groups of fans that will remain bitter are those of Aris, and those of Kallithea, Proodeftiki and Akratitos. The latter of course roughly consisting no more than 0.00000000000000000000000001% of the total population, we couldn't give a rat's ass, so there you have it.

All well in La La Land.

Now why would mr. Basinas be so narrow minded and not see the benefits a succesfull presence of mr. Gonzalez could bring to the nation?

Archived