Phantis Forums

Europa League 2015-2016

Tzatziki

I don't believe we don't care about Europa......

I think its naive to down grade the feats of Dnipro....they made the final.....and Levante were a decent side 3 years ago.....

Spanish teams dominate Europa League in mass numbers....

If you look at both those ties...we did not help ourselves with coach changes in January...

The Dnipro tie was also lost due to some poor officiating.....Mitro had a goal disallowed....and we had two late penalty calls turned down..2-0 could easily been 2-1....different tie then...

So we were serious v Rubin for 180 minutes and serious v Metalist for 170 minutes but suddenly after 171st minute we decided Europa League does not matter??? I don't buy it......

all this talk is out of frustration....and over analysing....and just being a 'negative greek'....

Not sure how you can rate Dinamo Zagreb, Anderlecht, Malmo lower than BATE or Ludgorets.....this again is being extremely negative for the sake of it.....trying to create an arguement just to prove a point that can't be proven.....

It would be like me trying to down play the Bundesliga on the basis that Dortmund could not beat PAOK this season and because they finished behind Oly 4 years ago in CL group....I then throw in Mainz being eliminated by Asteras....just to add more sauce to my argument....Even though it's total nonsense...

Edited by RED SHERIFF

Especially for Bate, they have managed to keep draws vs Roma , Leverkusen , Liverpool (if i remember correctly they might have won liverpool). Also played very well against big teams like Real and Barcelona. What have Anderlecht and Malmo managed in the last couple of years ? Anderlecht only had 1 season at Champions League, Malmo just managed to beat Olympiakos and Shakhtar Donetsk . Dinamo won arsenal ,I can give them that , but we all understood what a joke of a team they are when they played against us. Still cant figure out why they bench Schildenfeld.

If you wanna believe that our team is successfull in Europe by escapeing to the round of 16 Once every 5 years under Marinakis , you can go on and do it .Id rather not be stupid though.

not sure what you expect from a team like Olympiakos in UCL?

How many times do Gala, Fener, Celtic, Anderlecht etc make the r.16?......

this year was the first time a team from Belgium have made the r.16 in history...that's how difficult it is... Not sure if you realise how difficult it is for teams from pot 3/4 with limited budgets to get points in UCL?

I HAVE BEEN SCATHING OF OSFP player selection policies and squad management for many years.....however the degree of difficulty in UCL....And the luck required to get 5,6,7,8 points is at times under estimated...

Anderlecht have had more than one season in UCL..

BATE have been somewhat respectable....but to put them on a higher level than Dinamo or Malmo is a cheap shot...So to is trying to imply the non selection of Schindefield really means anything in the context of this debate...

Last season we got 6 points off Juve and Athletico Madrid.....the year before 4 points off Benfica and 6 off Anderlecht...and we were 1-1 away to PSG into injury time...

in recent years we have got 9 points in groups including Dortmund, Marseille, Arsenal, Bayern, Juve, Benfica,PSG,At.Madrid, Anderlecht, Lazio, Werder......we have also played some massive opponents Roma, Real......etc...

Not sure when BATE played Liverpool????? Ludogrets did....and they have only played UCL once... 

2015-16 season : Gent from pot 4, Wolfsburg from pot 4, Roma from pot 3, Dynamo Kiev from pot 3. 4 teams outside pots 1 and 2 made it to the R of 16.ps
2014-15 season: Monaco from pot 4, Leverkusen from pot 3 , just 2 teams here , i can give you that
2013-14 season: Zenit pot 3, Dortmund pot 3, Olympiakos pot 3, Bayer Leverkusen pot 3,  Manchester City pot 3, Galatasaray pot 3, 6 teams outside pots 1 and 2 
2012-13 season: Celtic pot 4, Dortmund pot 4, Paris Saint Germain pot 3, Malaga pot 4, Galatasaray pot 3, Juventus pot3, 6 teams outside pot 1 and 2
2011-12 season:  Apoel pot 4, FC Basel pot 3, Bayer Leverkusen pot 3, Napoli pot 4, Zenit pot 3, 5 teams outside pot 1 and 2

4 out of the 5 last years half or more of the Groups of CL had a pot 3 or 4 team qualifying to the R-16

I would like to add that the team of PSV Eindhovn also made it out the R-16 despite being an otherwise a pot 3 or 4 team.

All these 5 seasons we competed to the Champions League as a pot 3 Team. We only made it out once out of 5 continuous seasons.
In all seasons we got the money from champions league group competition
+ money from wins and points in CL due to:
10 points and qualification to the R-16 in 2013-14 season

9 points the 2015-16 year

9 points the 2014-15 year

9 points the 2012-13 year

9 points the 2011-12 year

+ from 2010-2011 until now we have won all 5(6th incomming)
and 3 cups.

I can agree that the Greek Cup probably does not give that much income as the English,Italian,Spanish and German or even the French and Russian Championships, but teams like
Dynamo Kiev, Monaco , APOEL , Napoli ,Roma and Malaga only had few Champions League entries and still managed what we consider a *DREAM*. 

By the way, when you say we got 9 points in groups including , Bayern, PSG , it makes it look like we got at least 1 point out of them, rephrase.

And yeah , my bad about Anderlecht , meant they had one season in CL over the last few years (after our Continuous champions league apperanaces since 2010) they apparently have 2. Anything beyond that is before Marinakis.

We spent money on some pretty decent players , including Roberto, Dominguez,Saviola,Cambiasso. These players came here just because of a secure Champions League spot. Just because they know that no matter what , they are playing at Champions League. Now that we dont have such a luxury , we can't secure players from June, we have to firstly qualify and then approach such a type of players, who wanna play to Champions League and there is no other reason for them to come to Greece.

You will see the downfall of Greek Superleague which means the Downfall of the Greek teams as well and our so beloved Olympiakos, will be faster than the National Team's one.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

You will see the downfall of Greek Superleague which means the Downfall of the Greek teams as well and our so beloved Olympiakos, will be faster than the National Team's one.

Skanky you worry too much, Olympiakos will be just fine you can rest assured. The team has been making progress for years now and is on sound footing to be stable for the foreseeable future believe me. Stop drinking that JVC  juice it is no good for you. 

getting 9 points is a massive achievement from pot 3...

a lot of the teams you quote above from pot 3/4 come from very high standard leagues and are therefore quality teams..Dortmund  x 2...Man city , Monaco, Roma, Napoli, Malaga, PSG, Juve, Leverkusen x3, Wolfsburg....etc....

they need to be quality teams to finish in CL spots in their leagues...we can't debate this...also they have the added benefit that they avoid teams from their own country.....

Zenit and Kiev also have the advantage of mafiozo dollars.....Ukraine/Russian clubs have the mafia sugar daddies that poor big money...into transfers......

So what you are telling me is that we are in fact a small team and will never be big because we are in a non-competitive league.
some of the reasons , not  the only of course, that the league is non-competitive is because we win it all the time, which is not bad honestly, but is a reason , and a second reason is that we buy and sell everything that moves with the ball in style and with some talent.

So you don't disagree at all with me. I appreciate it Red Sheriff.

Skanky you worry too much, Olympiakos will be just fine you can rest assured. The team has been making progress for years now and is on sound footing to be stable for the foreseeable future believe me. Stop drinking that JVC  juice it is no good for you. 

Im just not sure weather the fact that our Champion no longer immidiately qualifies for the Champions League is gonna benefit us , to build a far stronger teams with not only Free Agents in fear of not qualifiying for the Ch League , or will make players uninterested in moving to Greece. 

So what you are telling me is that we are in fact a small team and will never be big because we are in a non-competitive league.

some of the reasons , not  the only of course, that the league is non-competitive is because we win it all the time, which is not bad honestly, but is a reason , and a second reason is that we buy and sell everything that moves with the ball in style and with some talent.

So you don't disagree at all with me. I appreciate it Red Sheriff.

its not as simple as us being a small team from a non competitive league.....that's under stating how strong the top 4-5 leagues are..... the seedings and clubs from same leagues not playing each other makes it even more difficult..

I think for us to get better...we need to build a strong core and add to it each year by getting players where they are needed,..

for example in the summer we need two quality CD....and 2 quality wide players.....constant rebuilding and revolving door does not help...

If  I did not know our record and I was reading your posts and how critical you are of us...I would assume our record is no better than that of Malmo, BATE, Dinamo, Celtic......however we have accumulated many points over many years...

there is a lot of luck involved and fine margins in UCL.......For example we may draw PSG or Juve first up at home next season.....a possible 1-0 would be great....a 1-2 would be a mini disaster....yet our preparation and performance in either result may be the same...

Im just not sure weather the fact that our Champion no longer immidiately qualifies for the Champions League is gonna benefit us , to build a far stronger teams with not only Free Agents in fear of not qualifiying for the Ch League , or will make players uninterested in moving to Greece. 

it happened in 2008/9  did not really change things?

it happened in 2008/9  did not really change things?

For a starter we didnt take part at 2008 CL...

Secondly , we are talking about a year that Panathinaikos had a team ,and did well in Europe, we weren't alone that year, there were 2 decent teams

Pao qualified for the R16 

Oly  qualified from the europa groupstage,

Right now , what's gonna happen if we have a similar turn of events? No other team seems to have any interest in Europe , except maybe Asteras Tripolis (hahaha), who is the unluckiest team so far when it comes to draws , getting teams like Schalke and Tottenham , teams with CL material.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

For a starter we didnt take part at 2008 CL...

Secondly , we are talking about a year that Panathinaikos had a team ,and did well in Europe, we weren't alone that year, there were 2 decent teams

Pao qualified for the R16 

Oly  qualified from the europa groupstage,

Right now , what's gonna happen if we have a similar turn of events? No other team seems to have any interest in Europe , except maybe Asteras Tripolis (hahaha), who is the unluckiest team so far when it comes to draws , getting teams like Schalke and Tottenham , teams with CL material.

Btw this whole questiong though , it has happened before and things did not change , makes nosense since we were under a totally different management. Each management acts on a situation differently , based on its aims and goals. And  I dont believe Marinakis and SIA goal is to upgrade Greek Football.

I don't believe ANY Greek club management of ANY greek club has ever set a goal for upgrading Greek football...Unfair to single out Marinakis here,if anything he at least talks about how others need to improve..

I agree but Kokkalis spent money that Marinakis wont. Maybe in total Marinakis has spent more , as a number , but football then wasnt what it is today. The contracts were a lot smaller. Maybe we found out the cause that smaller championship are being downgraded ? Capitalism ? Yet , we can't blame that and start praying to panagia like paok while spending nothing.

Sheriff really no Greek club management has ever set up a goal to upgrade Greek football? Others want to improve the league the scumbags corrupt scumbags I might add don't want it to change as they are all benefitting the way the league is now, deny it or not but that's the truth. These people prefer to see their bank accounts grow than seeing their national league progress.

who are these clubs and owners that want to improve the league???

don't blame osfp.....

remember Marinakis in his first few months in charge offered AEK  the use of Karaiskaki for their uefa cup game v Dundee after Panionios fans vandalised Nea Smyrni so AEK wont play there...

then only Scottish fans were allowed to attend, because there were genuine fears that AEK fans would trash Karaiskaki...

A good gesture by Marinakis could have lead to bigger and better things....for cooperation between clubs...

for starters AEK could/should have sold out  Karaiskaki for that game pocketing $1 million.......but instead there were only 2000 red heads with freckles in the stands....

I agree but Kokkalis spent money that Marinakis wont. 

Sokratis is a living legend and will be remembered fondly by every red fan. It's true he made bigger signings but I personally think Marinaki has made the kinds of moves that has elevated the club on many different levels not only in the area of player acquisitions. Marinaki has shown signs that he can surpass his predecessor. Time will tell, edo imaste. The club operates in a more modern and professional way now and is also on better footing financially not having to rely necessarily on a presidents pockets, but rather buying youngsters and selling them at a good price down the line.

Meli Sav Ala Vellis (until he got driven out) Lamia's owner Iraklis owner just to name a couple.

Karaiskaki was offered first then Nea Smyrni from memory and what good relations would it start? Marinakis doesn't care about good relations he just wants power.

I don't blame Marinakis for everything but he sure has a hand in MANY dirty things that go on and with 5 charges against him just shows he is involved in plenty and if you cant admit your owner has a hand in the way the league has become you are deluded.

The league would be better if other owners actually invested in their respective teams instead of making press statements, tweeting all day or whatever else they are doing. Savvidi seems to be making an effort. Afragouzo and Tigris, not so much.