Phantis Forums

Europa League 2015-2016

Tzatziki

Sheriff// It's 12 mil for the group stage and 3*1,5=4,5 mil for the wins. Probably around 20 mil in total.

As someone mentioned before, the tv revenue for the teams has a great impact on how the greek teams perform in the CL/EL. Someone mentioned 30 mil in total but I've read 20 mil but either way that's PEANUTS for a league that should have 3-4 teams in Europe each season. In Portugal, a country with a similar population, the top 3-teams just signed huge TV-contracts that will give the three clubs 40-50 mil euro EACH season. The Swedish league has a total revenue of 20 mil, and the Swedish teams play in CL/EL every second or third year...

The competitive aspect in the GSL is the most crucial thing if we want higher revenues for the teams but I think we also have to blame Nova and the teams themselves for the low revenues. To this date, a good service providing the football enthusiasts the GSL all over the diaspora hasn't been released and I keep asking myself why. I myself can't watch PAOK play if the match isn't on Laola (something new for this season) so I can't watch the away games. If the top-4 clubs (5 when Aris is back) just released a good service together or a separate for each team I'm sure a lot of people would have signed up. I know you guys in North America have something called Sport plus (their website looks like s%$#!) but I don't have a service like that in Europe and would gladly pay 20-30 Euro/month for some Greek football. According to Wikipedia we have 3-7 million in the diaspora so I would think there's a market for a good global service providing the GSL over the internet.

Also, I haven't seen any attempts from Nova or the clubs to try to expand in other countries like Bulgaria, Monkeydonia or eastern europe. They could have sold the rights cheap just to get people interested.

Just like the above with the people in the diaspora I sometimes think that this is just the result of the Greek way of being lazy and comfortable with the situation as it is and not enough business-minded...

Yours to!

Something interesting would be to investigate the opportunities for the best teams in Cyprus to join the Super League. I can only see a positive outcome for the league and Greek soccer if that would happen;

+more competitive league, due to an increase of good teams and a decrease of the shitty ones

+the above would make the league more attractive and would generate more sponsor money

+higher attendance, both for the Greek clubs and for the "Cypriot" ones

+the "Cypriot" clubs would get higher TV-revenues and would play better teams

+broader exposure

I can see how the clubs that would be replaced, for example Kalloni, Atromitos and Levadiakos etc. would react but the fact is that they don't belong in the GSL with attendances around 1k. Of course, the teams "left behind" in Cyprus would struggle BUT the Greek soccer, the Greek clubs and the Cypriot clubs would benefit much if this scenario would take place.

One problem with taking the top-3 from Cyprus would be that we would have a total of 8 (when Aris returns) big clubs but only 5 CL/EL-spots. This doesn't have to be a problem though, as the competitiveness would increase and the league would be more funny to watch.

Here's a link for the attendances of the Cypriot teams, as you can see attendances for the top teams are quite good and logically they would increase; 

http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attn/avecyp.htm

Here's the attendances for the Greek teams if you guys would like to compare; http://www.superleaguegreece.net/el/schedule

Tell me what you think guys, what obstacles can an idea like this meet?

Btw; sorry guys for hijacking your thread but I thought this would be better rather than have half the discussion here and the other half in another thread.

Edited by PAOKSWEDEN

1)  the proposal 2 years ago for a 11 team league was more likely a 'breakaway' Alafouzos....anti osfp league..

there was no proposal for a proper revamp.....

2) they do show GSL games in Balkans and Eastern Europe....hence why you see many matches the score written on screen in english/roman letters.

3) adding Cypriot clubs...max 2-3 would be an issue for CFA...UEFA/FIFA....No value add to the game in general..only minor gain for GSL....

4) @PAOK SWEDEN.....I don't live in Europe so I can't speak for the Greek Diaspora there...however in Australia there is poor interest in greek football....so a TV rights deal for diaspora would not get meaningful numbers subscribing......

WE ARE WAY OFF TOPIC HERE..... 

I will just say to rockefeller, its interestoing you down play oly getting 9 points in CL....Yet the current EPL leaders got 9 points in the same group....and last year Juve got 10 (1 more than us)......  that indicates how difficult it can be to get 7,8,9,10 points in CL....

Remember we once got 10 points and missed out..in a group with French,Spanish English opposition.....not exactly playing against APOEL, BATE, Ludgorets....etc...

• Like it 1

I dont think 11 is tge answer. The issue runs deeper than how many teams are in the league. Greeks just don't care about football as much as other nations. Have we ever had any superstar llayers? We had the euro 2004 guys who were very talented but we have never had consistency in having great players. Look at the Croats. There are at least two great croatians each from tge last three decades. The bosnians have had slme graat players as well. We need to put the focus on player development at an early age and get rid of the corrupt Kontonis and epo....

be careful what you wish for.....

on the one hand we can look at and admire the Croat player development model and try and learn from it......however on the other hand.....and in the context of domestic league quality....and being competitive in European competition...the Croat and ex Yugo leagues are very very poor..

no Croatian team has played in European comps past December.....the last they did was as part of Yugoslavia in the late 1960s..

so in the context of this thread /debate...we don't want to be Croatia or Serbia  or Sweden or Denmark...etc

be careful what you wish for.....

on the one hand we can look at and admire the Croat player development model and try and learn from it......however on the other hand.....and in the context of domestic league quality....and being competitive in European competition...the Croat and ex Yugo leagues are very very poor..

no Croatian team has played in European comps past December.....the last they did was as part of Yugoslavia in the late 1960s..

so in the context of this thread /debate...we don't want to be Croatia or Serbia  or Sweden or Denmark...etc

im pretty sure Dinamo Zagreb has played beyond december. I might be wrong though.

Edited by Rockafeller Skank

You think so? I think you would get a fair few down under subscriptions. If the league cleaned itself up and was not a one horse race interest would double.

depends what you consider 'fair few' subscribers....

the aussie diaspora has assimilated.....they don;t even know in reality the problems with GSL...as we know them....it is only a few us war horses that care...you speak to the average George or Nick in Sydney or Melbourne....they may give you vague scant dialogue...but not much probing needs to be done to see they have no real clue...then turn the topic of conversation to BBL, NRL,AFL...etc....and see the level of passion in the conversation....

sure if you hang around kafeneia or soccer clubs you may get the impression there is greater interest...but the 'concentration' of raw numbers in these settings gives you a false reading to the interest in the general community...

remember the pitiful attendance AEK got when they visited here a few years ago???  OLY scraped 17k....v MVFC,,,

Enough said...

Never really thought of it that way. Just to clear things up you are saying that the league would suffer because we would lose the talented players to bigger teams/leagues and a young age right?

yes....you risk becoming a fully semi pro league that looks at simply exporting players...

OLY/PAO/AEK/PAOK.......see themselves as different to this...as do Gala/Fener/Besiktas/Anderlecht/Celtic/Rangers....etc...

our 'big 4' have always seen themselves as bigger clubs that want to make big signings and take on the best on those special European Wednesday nights...

having said that...junior development and play path way programs need to be properly implemented.....

we can have both.....

all I am saying is if we were Croatia/Serbia/Poland/Sweden/Denmark we probably would not be discussing Oly's prospects in europe....with any serious undertone...

When Aek came here there was no advertising whatsoever, not saying the ground would've been full but with better advertising it would've attracted more people. And playing games midday on a Sunday wont get you big crowds either. That's what happens when you leave thing to Sydney FC to do....

Oly on the other hand had much much more advertising for their game and only got 17K....

the greeks well and truly knew all about it....  there were no excuses in regards to greeks.....and this is what we are talking about in the context of interest within the diaspora...

how much were the tickets??

for the Oly game tickets were pricey..I paid $90 which in the mind of greeks is excessive... even though for similar games they are more expensive and in the non greek minds it is deemed to be reasonable..

Greeks did know yes a month before AEK came they found out as I was just heading to South Africa for the World Cup when it got announced BUT this wasn't only for AEK it was a Football Festival with 4 teams and with better advertising the grounds would've had more people in it you cant deny that.

Similar to Liverpool last week poor advertising for the All Star game and only got 40k a game like that should've got 60k easy with the names Liverpool brought out.

I didn't pay for tickets (got a few free) so in all honesty I don't know what the cost was for them. I know they had packs which included entry for 3 games but not sure the prices

Olympiacos have quiet a good record against Belgium teams in the very few times that they have had to play against in any European competition well over 20 years.

2009/2010 UEFA Champions League Group Stage:

Olympiacos 2 Standard de Liege 1

Standard de Liege 2 Olympiacos 0

2013/2014 UEFA Champions League Group Stage:

Anderlecht 0 Olympiacos 3

Olympiacos 3 Anderlecht 1

Olympiacos have quiet a good record against Belgium teams in the very few times that they have had to play against in any European competition well over 20 years.

2009/2010 UEFA Champions League Group Stage:

Olympiacos 2 Standard de Liege 1

Standard de Liege 2 Olympiacos 0

2013/2014 UEFA Champions League Group Stage:

Anderlecht 0 Olympiacos 3

Olympiacos 3 Anderlecht 1

That mitroglou hattrick made us think we had finally found a decend striker for the NT. Future was so unfair...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know there aint many of us round here, but anyone wanna try and guess this weeks line up?

Here is Nostratziki's picks:

-------------Roberto

--Omar---Botia---Immobile (Siovas)----Mazuaku

---------------Milli-------Kasami

Seba-----------Fortouni--------Jimmy

---------------Ideye

I think this is what Silva will go with. I would prefer to start Cambiasso if he is healthy, he is all class and his experience is a huge asset to any team. He is like an on field coach.