Phantis Forums

EL-GS-R3: PAOK FC - FC Krasnodar (22-Oct-15, 22:05 GR)

Blackhawk

PAOK.jpgvsKrasnodar.jpg

MATCHUP:           P.A.O.K. Thessaloniki - FC Krasnodar (Russia)

COMPETITION:    Europa League - Group Stage - Round 3 

DATE:                    22-October-2015

TIME:                     22:05 GR  (19:05 GMT, 14:05 CDT, 05:05 AEST next day)

CITY/STADIUM:   Thessaloniki - Toumba Stadium (28,703)

REFEREES:            Stefan Johannesson - Fredrik Nilsson, Magnus Sjoblom - Mohammed Al-Hakim, Andreas Ekberg (All Sweden)

TELEVISION:          OTE Sport 2 (Greece), Fox Soccer 2GO (USA), TSN2 (Canada), beIN Sport Connect (Australia), Arena Sport 2 (Serbia), NTV+ Sport (Russia)

Group Standings

1. Borussia Dortmund  - 4 points

2. FC Krasnodar - 3

3. PAOK Thessaloniki  - 2

4. Qabala FK  - 1

Our European history against Russian teams:

USSR era

1976-1977:   Dinamo Kiev - PAOK FC   4:0 - Attendance: 30,000 ( Champions League - Round 2 - Leg 1)

1976-1977:   PAOK FC - Dinamo Kiev    0:2 - Attendance: 27,350 ( Champions League - Round 2 - Leg 2)

Post USSR (Russian Federation)

2010-2011:   PAOK FC - CSKA Moscow  0:1 - Attendance: 22,245 ( Europa League ? Round of 32 ? Leg 1)

2010-2011:   CSKA Moscow - PAOK FC   1:1  (Muslimovic) - Attendance: 8,000 ( Europa League ? Round of 32 ? Leg 2)

2011-2012:   Rubin Kazan - PAOK FC      2:2   (Athanasiadis, Fotakis) - Attendance: 14,350 ( Europa League - Groups Stage - Round 2)

2011-2012:   PAOK FC - Rubin Kazan      1:1   (Vierinha - p) - Attendance: 15,625 ( Europa League - Groups Stage - Round 2)

Win at any cost, even if it is just 1:0 with a goal in the 92nd minute.

Wonder if we will see Glykos in goal. Possible injuries to Berbatov and Tzavellas might mean they will not be available for Thursday's game. 

I'm sure Olsen will start, this team seems absolutely dead set on getting their money's worth out of him.

--Olsen--

--Vitor--Costa--Malezas--

--Rodrigues--Tziolis--Kace--Leovac--

--Pelkas--Mak--

--Klaus--

Tudor's insistence on the same players when there are so many options on the bench is getting a bit ridiculous. Especially in him playing Sabo. Put Golasa or Savvidis in there, for Christ's sake.

• Like it 1

Tudor's insistence on the same players when there are so many options on the bench is getting a bit ridiculous. Especially in him playing Sabo. Put Golasa or Savvidis in there, for Christ's sake.

Agree, but I don't see this as the game Tudor will be experimenting in.  I'm hoping once we're done with the derby with PAO, he starts trying out some of the other players.  At the end of the day, what I want to know is what each of the new signings has to give to the squad.  Rodrigues has shown what he can do.  Leovac seems like he'll cement the LB position.  Sabo is a concern.  Olsen, oh Olsen.  I want to see more of Charisis and especially Cimirot.  Hoping for big things from this player.  Hoping ...

Edited by Bananas

Klaus in for Perpatov, Malezas in the back with some kind of rotation.  Other than that, I think it'll remain the same...Although I think Tudor has had his fill of Olsen's BS, I think Glykos will get his chance to take his job back on Thursday.

Whether you can or can't blame Olsen for any of the 3 goals vs. Iraklis is irrelevant.  Olsen has proven he is incompetent and can't be relied on, the only thing that makes you look MORE foolish than spending good money on this loser is continually playing him despite his below than mediocre performances.  Tudor may have shown patience in giving the guy a shot, but I think his patience has run out.

Edited by BostonThanatos

Well Tudor's job got easier. Olsen got injured in practice and Glykos will start on Thursday. God help us. I still prefer Olsen over Glykos.

Also it looks like there will be major rotation on Thursday as Tudor is thinking of fielding the following lineup:

---------------- Glykos ------------------

--- Vitor ---- Malezas ---- Skondras

Rodrigues - Kace - Sabo - Leovac

--------------- Pelkas --------------------

------- Klaus ---------- Mak ------------

I see us having difficult time winning Thursday with the above lineup.

That injury to Olsen seems awfully convenient.  Playing Malezas and Skondras seems like lunacy.  Other than Olympiakos, this is probably the strongest team we will be facing so far this season.  And you go and change 2 out of 3 of your CB's and your GK ?

its hard with squad rotation, we need to do it no doubt but with so many players yet to be given a go it makes it hard to "trust" any of them. guys like Antonis, Cirmirot (who I know still isn't 100%) hell even Mystakidi should have been given game time. I know that Mystakidis now has a problem with injury.

Anyways definitely not a game we can afford to be dropping points in. Gonna take a big effort especially with that untested back 3, I've said it before I know liked Skondra has a centre back  

I've always rated Skondras.  Easily on our best 3 players last season.  Unfortunately maybe playing 3 at the back doesn't suit him, but you'd think that given the CB's of Vitor, Costa, Tzavellas, Malezas he would have had some starts by now.  The fact that he hasn't is a worry.  So if you do throw him in now and he's a bit rusty, is it his fault ?

If you never play the other guys, you'll never get to the point where you trust them. Tudor's insistence on "14-16" players isn't as reasonable when we have an extra dozen who have never gotten a chance, and where a handful of those who do play, clearly shouldn't.

We should be fine with a small number of changes. Something like the below, will still know the system and serve to bleed in players who need more time with the team. If we need more attacking threat (or if Pelkas is once again a disappointment), put in Mistakidis - the guy's shown he deserves to be out there; why isn't he getting more time?

Same thing if Mak or Klaus don't turn up - Jairo's nearly as fast as Mak, and can play up front as well.

-Glykos--

--Vitor--Costa--Malezas--

--Rodrigues--Golasa--Kace--Leovac--

--Pelkas--Mak--

--Klaus--

• Like it 1

Well Tudor listened to everyone and will make several changes in the lineup. He also said today that Europa League is not as important as Superleague, so this is a good time do it.

Apparently he will field this lineup:

--------------- Glykos ------------------

--- Vitor ----- Costa ----- Malezas ---

Skondras - Kace - Sabo - Rodrigues

--------------- Pelkas --------------------

------- Klaus ---------- Jairo ------------

He also announced the squad for the game:

Man, I love Tudor press conferences. He answers so many questions. I just finished watching this one, so I'll pick out what I thought were the most interesting points. Most of this was said by Blackhawk already.

He does confirm Berbatov will be on the bench (at least at the beginning), and that Klaus, Skondras, Jairo, and Malezas will start. Leovac will not start. I liked how someone asked him point-blank about his depressing attitude, since he spends a lot of time talking down his own team.

He's asked about how we've given up a lot of goals due to unmarked opposing places on set pieces...he suggests that he needs to rethink how they're defending, as "it's a question of the quality of concentration on a few defensive players."

About Sabo: He's been better in the last few matches but still loses the ball too often. He can only get better (with time). Sounds like we'll keep seeing him.

About Olsen: Glykos will become first goalkeeper. Olsen has cost the team too much, needs to work hard. He looks VERY annoyed.

• Like it 1

I find it surprising that he would say Europe isn't the priority.  PAOK lives for their "european nights".  Maybe he thinks we got a shot at the title, or maybe he just didn't think about the comment before he said it ...

• Like it 1

I find it surprising that he would say Europe isn't the priority.  PAOK lives for their "european nights".  Maybe he thinks we got a shot at the title, or maybe he just didn't think about the comment before he said it ...

A shot at what title? Surely he's not that ignorant.  Until PAO and PAOK spend some real cash on players, we're all fighting for 2nd place.  Period.  Re-Building is great, as long as everyone is on the same page, with the same expectations.  

Maybe just his way of lowering expectations and taking the pressure off.

My expectation is that he plays his best 11 and does his damn best to qualify in the top 2 in the group. That is achievable. Winning the title is not. Therefore, the game against PAO should be a lower priority. Thus, the conundrum.