Phantis Forums

Suggested Call Ups, Starting 11

We should see Mantalos there as an 8. He should be given a new position with a new responsibility. Samaris hasn't played lately and doesn't look like he is in the plans for Benfica. We don't know how match fit he is, so we should play our best and fittest players. Mantalos I think can handle the task of playing as an 8. Pelkas for me has to start. He deserves to start. He has been playing very well. 

Apparently Bouchalakis might get called up. Since Tachtsidis, Siopis and Samaris haven't played and are without a club. Also Kourbelis I think might miss out due to injury. 

As for right now though I don't know if he is match fit. I don't want any mistakes for our first game. I'd like him to start as I think he is good but we have to give to someone who has played more this season an someone who deserves it. I don't think Galanopoulos is ready yet for the big task. I'll give it to Bouchalakis for these next few games. 

As for Pelkas i would start him. I'd have Donis or Fetfatzidis as a super sub for him. I hope Pelkas plays the same way he does at PAOK for the national team. He doesn't stop running and hustling. He also has the technical ability to beat players and is fast. I would also play him as a second striker just behind Mitroglou. But Fortounis must play also in my opinion. So Pelkas should play on the wing. 

true about pelkas.

bouchalakis seems like a similar player to tziolis though. slow and only really brings a good shot. he's lower level than gala imo. boucha played 20 games gala played 40+

might as well start samaris as he played same games as bouchalakis in a more prestigious club

Edited by georgelaz

I don't think last season counts. I read an article on contra.gr saying that Skibbe might use Bouchalakis because of the reasons i mentioned. Samaris hasnt played, Tachtsidis and Siopis have been dropped by Oly and havent played. But all of them could easily start in this team. It just comes down to who deserves to play based on match fitness. Samaris is better than Bouchalakis but Bouchalakis has played more this season coming into the games in September. Bouchalakis is slow but better than Tziolis. He can keep the ball better and has better vision. Tachtsidis i think is our best holding midfielder but hasnt performed in the last 8 months which is why he was not wanted by the new coach. I dont know whos decision it was for leaving out Tachtsidis and playing Bouchalakis instead. They are both similar and i think Marinakis is sort of related to Bouchalakis. 

3 hours ago, Dean97 said:

As for right now though I don't know if he is match fit. I don't want any mistakes for our first game. I'd like him to start as I think he is good but we have to give to someone who has played more this season an someone who deserves it. I don't think Galanopoulos is ready yet for the big task. I'll give it to Bouchalakis for these next few games. 

Galanopoulos has played more games and that includes big European games so why give it to Bouchalakis who played some Championship games and has little Euro experience? 

• Like it 1

it should have been tachtsidis and samaris in the middle but they s%$#! the bed in terms of form. those two also huge reason why we didn't qualify for euro 2016. they were supposed to hold the torch after katsouranis and karagounis retired

• Like it 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, georgelaz said:

it should have been tachtsidis and samaris in the middle but they s%$#! the bed in terms of form. those two also huge reason why we didn't qualify for euro 2016. they were supposed to hold the torch after katsouranis and karagounis retired

Thats true. I am watching Olympiakos vs Burnley. Fortounis scored a free kick. Bouchalakis just scored a header!

Edited by Dean97

Yeah hopefully he can do the same with Greece. Bouchalakis played well also. He is not as slow as people say. He is not the fastest but propably has the same pace as Samaris. He is way better than Tziolis. He loves playing long cross field balls. He presses well at times and can be a threat inside the box. He scored off a header and almost scored another one few minutes after. I dont if he is the answer for the midfield but is way better than Tziolis. He can be a little more ambitious with his passing as Podence made a lot runs in behind the defence. He joins the attack at times when needed. Samaris dosent do that for the national team. Also he looks more motivated than Taxi.

As for Galanopoulos. We have our future star midfielder. He will be the key to our midfield in years to come. I saw the match AEK played against Vidi. I also think he is good enough to start for our midfield. He keeps possession well and has lots of energy. He also joins the attack and creates an opportunity. These are positive signs for our midfield. It will be interesting to see who starts alongside Zeca.

• Thanks 1

bouchalakis can't be a starter for god's sake, let's be real. don't take into account that skibbe has a fetish with tziolis and starts him. none of them should be starting material for us atm. that being said i wouldn't mind seeing him as a 4th option for these games behind zeca-samaris and kourmpelis, considering galanopoulos has will be with u21 and tachtsidis is a free agent. otherwise mantalos could play the "8" role as a deep laying play maker, having zeca holding the midfield but that would be a huge risk. 

stafylidis is slightly injured, he's coming back but i think he won't be ready to start. lykogiannis and mpakakis could be our 2 backs but i am pretty sure one of them will be tzavellas.

Your probably right about Bouchalakis. We haven't got many options though. That's the problem with our midfield. Bouchalakis is playing good for Olympiakos and should be ahead Samaris and Tachtsidis. Kourbelis is an option but I'd go with Bouchalakis. I'm not sure if he is the answer. There's no harm in trying him. Could be benefit more than we expect. I just think he needs a good run of games. Galanopoulos and Androutsos in a few years could be the answer. 

based on current form I'd rank it

1) Zeca

2) Mantalos

3) Galanopoulos

4) Bouchalakis

5) Kourbelis

6) Samaris

7) Tachtsidis

8 ) Androutsos

9) Tziolis

10) Petsos

11) Siopis

not sure if i'm missing anyone.

I'm thinking zeca cdm and mantalos as cm right now.

if we have 3 of sokratis manolas retsos kpaps siovas available we could also just do 3 cb's zeca as sole cdm and put more attack minded midielders

Edited by georgelaz
  • Like it 1

Tachtsidis could be our very best midfielder on his day. He is talented. Zeca has the most energy and has been beneficial for our team. I'm keen to let Samaris have another chance. By the way some benfica fans say that he is not a number 6. He is more of 10 or 8 they say. Ive been saying for a while push him forward and not have him so deep. I'd leave that to Tachtsidis feel because of his long range passing and cleverness in his play. But where does that leave Zeca? I think Samaris has been misused. Most of his goals in his whole career has been from him pushing up into space or from set pieces. I'd leave the holding role for Tachtsidis, Zeca and Kourbelis. For box to box midfielders I'd have Samaris, Mantalos and Bouchalakis. We don't have anyone else. We are no Spain or Germany who have a good amount of depth in their talent pool. Benfica wanted to mould Samaris into a 6 when he should have been moulded into an 8 in my opinion.

• Like it 1

You forgot to read "on his day". His inconsistency doesn't help the argument of him being most talented midfielder. The last 8 months he has been playing like Tziolis. His slowness doesn't help his cause either. People cant deny on his day he is our best midfielder. His problem has always been consistency. Samaris has been consistently average for the national team. Thats why i believe he was favoured more than Tachtsidis. Tachtsidis would have an ok game than have the worst game for a few months and then after a few weeks later have one best game of his life. He is not consistent. But his overall ability is compared to our other midfielders is more superior. No one has the vision and passing ability like Tachtsidis.

You cant say the reason why he hasnt got a team yet is because he is not talented. There are other things involved. Like laziness, ego and so on. We dont know what he is thinking, only he knows. 

Edited by Dean97

might be because tachtsidis is more an attack minded cm that excels at through balls / creativity. 

creativity can be hit or miss though.  I like the idea of mantalos and zeca. both are xtremely hard working players.

• Like it 1

Whats with all these youth players from Greece leaving to go abroad? It's good for their development. So far Antzoulas from Asteras and Vrakas from PAOK have gone to Italy. Also some PAO youth players have gone as well. Speaking of PAO half of their team are youth academy players and young Greeks. This will only be helpful for their development and maybe some day be solid depth for the national team.

• Dutch Eagle pinned, unpinned and pinned this topic