Phantis Forums

New Club Ownership

athinaios

Is it true that all players on PAO squad are transfer-listed to clear the debts??  :o

If Cisse was sold, what makes you think anyone else will be spared? :huh:
Right! But surely a club like PAO can generate $30M to clear the debts?

I mean where did this debt come from?! No big spendings as of late.

The crisis hit Greece severely, yes but surely PAO management were not stupid.. or were they?! <_<

If it's a foreign company (rather than a billionaire owner that might want to use PAO as his toy, which could actually be beneficial for us!) they'll simply want to exploit the club.

No, I think that would not be good. Ownership like a rich individual is better than, say, a company (probably like Arboris Capital that also has expressed interest) that sees the club as a cash cow.

As for the debt ($30 mil), in theory if the club has its own home it'd have more money. Of course more money more spending, etc

Operational expenses can't be drastically changed over night. There are player contracts, etc. Of course bad people in important positions and stupid decisions can doom a company. (or a country)....

Cisse was sold for several reasons. High contract. Sell him, no contract and some money coming in. Second, he didn't want to stay. Who would? The league sucks and the team was leaderless (plus the public infighting). The financial problems were visible and no hope in sight (back then).

it seems as though discusions have been on going with the prince. All news reports indicate that everything is going well... i am still skeptical and will not believe anything until i see this prince put his little royal hand to the pen to sign the contract himself.

i have afew concerns with this solution despite the fact that it will give us ALOT of money. i will not bother to voice them unless i either learn the deal is a scam or it happens.

also, i dont think arboris capital made a proposal to take over pao. arboris capital, i believe, are a company that find good investments and match them with willing investors. there may be more behind the story then i have read, but i believe that is actually what the company does.

on a larger scale beyond football, i believe we will be seeing this more and more in greece in the coming years. the economy has tanked, this means that prices across the board are low. it truly is a buyers market and those with expendable money will be coming in to look for ways to invest it, despite the fragil state of the country and the fear of investment in it. (i myself am in the process of purchasing a large piece of land for about 1/5th of its value. the deal is just far too good to say no, and this is small scale stuff. i also have many fairly wealthy greek friends in the UK and the US that are buying up great properties like hot cakes at incredibly low prices. ) some middle eastern and arab nations have strong links to greek businessman and government officials, they also have more money then they know what to do with. i will not be surprised to see more arab investments in the country. we will see what happens in the future, i would not be surprised to see it despite the walls.

If they are an arbitrary company, yes, I agree, they would just exploit the team

and I don't think they would have something to offer.

But if there is a person like the one who bought Manchester City, or Chelsea,

these people take it as a matter of prestige to bring the team

in the forefronts, so it could work nicely.

Look, the world is rapidly changing. Globalization and certain economic realities.

I'm old enough to remember Greek teams having only 1-2 foreign players. Now Oly fields 11 foreigners. So why not club ownership becoming multinational?

It's about branding and PR nowadays. It's the idea of supporting a club, because you associate with a brand and nothing more nowadays.

Players like Karagounis won't be around in the future. Short contracts and frequent changes. I wouldn't be surprised if the jersey colors changed one day (say, Coca Cola bought PAO or sponsored the team).

By the way, having Greek teams not using Greek players hurts the development of domestic players that comprise the national team. But, even this is changing....

Veirinia wants to become a Greek and play for the national team. The US has done this with many foreign-born players.

Look, the world is rapidly changing. Globalization and certain economic realities.

I'm old enough to remember Greek teams having only 1-2 foreign players. Now Oly fields 11 foreigners. So why not club ownership becoming multinational?

It's about branding and PR nowadays. It's the idea of supporting a club, because you associate with a brand and nothing more nowadays.

Players like Karagounis won't be around in the future. Short contracts and frequent changes. I wouldn't be surprised if the jersey colors changed one day (say, Coca Cola bought PAO or sponsored the team).

By the way, having Greek teams not using Greek players hurts the development of domestic players that comprise the national team. But, even this is changing....

Veirinia wants to become a Greek and play for the national team. The US has done this with many foreign-born players.

Not good; do you want to support a team with history and character or a corporate owned "brand"? Its not about sport anymore then. They need to cap the number of foreign players teams are allowed to have. What makes football interesting is the different styles of play in each country; if everything gets mixed up w/ players from different countries you lose that uniqueness.

And no foreigners in the Greek NT!

Why do people become fans? That's the question.

1. They identify with a team. Maybe becuase of locality, family, or like the colors. Then branding occurs, and often supporting a team becomes part of a person's identity.

2. They like the sport for entertainment. You follow closely one of the teams. And, it's more exciting to root for one side during a contest.

Things are changing for sure...

As for not allowing foreign players, well, the teams can't do that if the players come from the EU... freedom to work anywhere within the union according to treaties Greece has signed before being accepted into the EU.

As for not allowing foreign players, well, the teams can't do that if the players come from the EU... freedom to work anywhere within the union according to treaties Greece has signed before being accepted into the EU.

This ever-interfering federation called the EU needs to realise that work and sports are two different things and cannot be treated in the same way.

We still have national competitions (CL, Europa League, WC and Euros).

The day when a pan-European state does away with all these is the day I will advocate unlimited number of foreign players in a Greek club. :rolleyes:

If I were an international investor specializing in construction projects...

PAO would present an opportunity to :

Gain a measurable construction contract in a country which desperately needs any kind of financial infusion and job creation.

Market my brand by naming the project after it.

Promote my financial interests in Europe with minimum investment.

By,

financing a team with a respectable fan base world wide

in a weak league, with no more than 2 serious contenders

a team which can be in the CL every year and offer tremendous exposure to my brand through media and sponsorship.

PAO would not need too much investment to win the Greek S&*$ League... every year and be ever present at the CL.

The stadium name will provide enormous advertisement, so will the shirt sponsorship.

The surrounding shopping mall and restaurants, will bring in rent revenue for years to come.

The fun factor of this 26 year old prince is similar to the toy the Vardinogiannis family gave Tzigger, when he was done playing with cars.

Regardless of sentiment, PAO with the proper branding, presents an excellent value for any prince.

PEACE

Good points Trifilli. They have to see club ownership as a way for the owner to get a foothold in markets and marketing. The club doesn't have to be profitable per se. For example, the sponsor (own company) can pay all the club's expenses.

I don't know if PAO can be so successful and big that can make money. I hope it does, but it shouldn't be the primary reason for an investor. In a year like this one, where there's a crisis everywhere, an owner should be able to support the club out of pocket. Shouldn't say, we're only going to spend up to revenue.

On the other hand, good managers should be in place to make decisions. I don't like the model of Man City.... tons of money, overinflated players, and a crappy feeling all around. Btw, MC just won its first CL match! Unbelievable. PAO is more successful in the CL than MC! :P

The more Tsakas talks the less credible he becomes...

He needs to shut it and prove his legitimacy by actions.

Words are cheap, and his profile does not inspire much confidence or tolerance.

IF the prince appears, I sure hope Tsakas will disappear.

He has become a nuisance already. :tdown:

Now he wants the basketball team...

Give us a break!

Kourastikos kai faflatas

PEACE

• 1 month later...

They're delaying day by day to show the money.

Wouldn't you expect the new owner to be more visible????

Actually, it's required for a sports team to have good leadership. I don't want an absent owner, that's why I've been against foreign investors. This also shouldn't be just a money-making business. They have to support the team in the lean years too!

We'll see.... (can someone take Tsakas away? B) )

there is an underlying issue with this, which is actually a good representation of alot of business done in greece.

i dont know whats true and what isnt, i wont believe anything until pen hits paper and i see it...but whether or not this is true, ths whole fiasco has been dealt with extremely poorly...

when serious buisness is done, typically no announcements or press relseases or interviews are done until a deal is within arms length, or already signed...

tsakas is a clown and to be honest, if the "prince" is fine with the way tsaka is handling his business, then i probably wont have the highest regard for the "prince". what serious businessman would send this joker to be his representative..

i think the deal will break down bc of some reason tsakas will create, and we will never truly get to see the "prince"

i hope i am wrong, bc we need serious changes to secure a stable future, but something still is not right...i wish tsaka would just shut his mouth and let the money talk....

Archived