Phantis Forums

PAOK V PAO

PAO_OR_DEATH

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is going to be a really tough game for this young team. While PAOK is not that good of a team as the papers would have you believe, Toumba always poses a psychological barrier for opposing teams. An inexperienced team could choke if something goes wrong.

Gilberto (just returned from his NT), Goumas (new baby), and Sousa (injured) are the only ones eliminated from the squad. Ten Cate is taking 24 players with him to Thessaloniki, so six more will be eliminated right before the game.

I look forward to the game and I hope we win easily. What I have seen from PAOK makes me optimistic, and my only worry is containing Mouslimovic since we have shown a propensity of giving up the easy goal against the lone, skilled, forward.

It's going to be a passionate game and the only thing I am not looking forward to is the bottle showers when our players take corners, and listenting to George Minos, easily the most annoying reporter in the universe.

It's hard predicting a lineup with Ten Cate. He seems to use surprises as a tactical weapon in each game to throw off the opposition (Moon, Ivan as DM), but I think we'll see:

--------------------Tzorvas------------------

Nilsson------Vintra---Sariegi----Spyropoulos

--------------Mattos---Simao---------------

Karagounis-------Cleyton-------Ivanschitz

--------------------Salpigidis----------------

Prediction: 0-4 (Salpi, Ivan, Karagounis, Petropoulos).

Cyber, Kara on the right? Thats where Ninis is supposed to be. Vyntra? How about Goumas instead? Salp as a lone striker? That won't work either. Ruka and Salp up front, Ivan on the left, Ninis on the right, Cleyton in the middle if Kara doesn't start. If this guy uses a line up like you have there, forget it!

Cyber, Kara on the right? Thats where Ninis is supposed to be. Vyntra? How about Goumas instead? Salp as a lone striker? That won't work either. Ruka and Salp up front, Ivan on the left, Ninis on the right, Cleyton in the middle if Kara doesn't start. If this guy uses a line up like you have there, forget it!

Good questions Clover.

The truth is all three AMs get to play everywhere. It's one of the advantages of this formation and the reason they bought so many AMs.

So far Cleyton has played on the right, center, and left. Since Ten Cate tried Ivanschitz as a second DM, I would not be surprised to see Cleyton play next to Mattos. He is very strong defensively (better than Ivan) and he can move the ball forward from our defense very quickly. Actually, I would love to see a formation with Mattos-Cleyton as DMs, and Kara-Roukavina-Ivan as AMs.

Karagounis who has played in the center and the left (don't remember him on the right, but I would not be surprised). Kara can lift the whole team with his play and passion. No one else can do that, so I think he will either start, or he will come in the last 40 minutes.

Ninis (which does not start when Kara can play) has played only two positions under Ten Cate: Middle and as DM. I don't think Ninis has played well this season. I would not be surprised to see Ninis eliminated from the 18. If anything, I think Moon has a better chance of starting if Karagounis can't go.

Roukavina under Ten Cate has played middle and left but never as a CF. He might start, but if not, he'll get some minutes. Roukavina is good, but if you watched last game, he did some magic work, but I remember stretches when he looked a little "soft" with his reactions. He also got tired way too early for my liking.

In all the games this season, in all competitions, I don't remember starting a game with two strikers. They are trying their best to get the players to learn the 4-2-3-1 and I don't think they'll change it in Touba.

Against PAOK, we are not going to start two CFs. I'll make a bet on that. Maybe down the strech if we are behind, but we'll start only one CF.

With Sousa injured, if Salpi plays RAM, then I am pretty sure Petropoulos (Mantzios) would start. But Salpi did well against Aris as the CF, so I think we'll see him there again.

Besides names and newspaper favorites, I think in this game we need to start our "fighters". I think the fighters or our team are Mattos, Salpigidis, Karagounis, Cleyton, Ivanschitz in that order, (I like Petropoulos in that department too).

Goumas stayed in Athens. He got a new baby.

The ref a bit intimidated by the crowd and PAOK very cautious. Very very tough game.

Edit: I very rarely comment on refs but this one would be happy to blow the final whistle now that he game is still a draw. A Vassaras-style policy so far: give a little push to the side that seems a little disoriented like now. Maybe this, rather than incompetence, is our refs' main problem... Not denying the obvious fact that there is incompetence...

Archived