Phantis Forums

Is the current roster better than Euro 2004 team?

plato-ny

hahaha, ti m*****es eine afti? :LOL:

How could you draw comparison between a squad who won the European Cup, and the current squad who are struggling to find there rhythem in the qualifyers? Those editors from Sportsday gotta stop printing such ridiculous articles, cut themselves a break from there stressful job.

gk - 2004 much better Nikopolidis was much nimbler back then

lb- fyssas/venetidis vs toro - fairly even but '04 wins because fyssas is a natural lb

cb- kapsis vs. kyrgiakos - I LOVED kapsis back then but Kyrgiakos is a stud - '08 gets the nod

cb- dellas vs dellas - he is much slower now - but I haven't given up on him

rb- giorkas vs setaridis - just kidding - I would say he is less consistant now, but I'll call it a wash

m - kats vs kats- he was a spark plug back then but I like his mature game now better '08 wins

m - kara vs kara - the guy plays the same every game I've ever seen him -even

m - basinas vs basinas - he often disapears now - so '04 wins

m zagorakis vs patsa- no need to comment

f - charisteas and vryzas vs gekas and whoever - those two in'04 had the same type of chemistry that kapsis and dellas had. Vryzas was a pure winner, held the ball better than anyone else and was nasty. I think if Samaras wanted to play like this he could, and he i a much bigger offensive threat. charisteas was deadly in the air in '04. +2 for '04

Bench - Nikolaidis, Tsartas, Kafes, Venetidis, Stelios

vs

Lybe,stelios soon, then 2 of samaras, charisteas and amanatidis

Lybe is becoming the x-factor that Tsartas was and I really think that the offensive depth is superior now and very dangerous

If Otto is on his game and mixes and matches well this bench can lead us to huge success once again

so 7-3-2 for '04 then again they were champs :gr:

I THINK THAT THE PRESENT TEAM HAS A LOT MORE OFFENSIVE OPTIONS BUT LESS OPTIONS AND STRENGTHS IN THE MIDFEILD ,INFACT HERE IS THE AREA OTTO SHOULD WORK ON WITH DIFFERENT PLAYERS TO GET THE RIGHT COMBINATION OF MIDFEILDERS TO HOPEFULLY COMPENSATE FOR ZAGORAKIS ABSENCE FROM THE TEAM THIS CAN BE DONE I THINK WITH EXISTING PLAYERS.

OUR DEFENSE ON THE OTHER HAND IS ALMOST AS GOOD AS THE 04 DEFENSE BUT NEEDS TO BE TWEEKED MORE TO MAKE IT A TIGHTER DEFENSE IT COULD BE EVEN BETTER THAN THE 04 DEFENSE BECAUSE AS WE SAW OUR DEFENSE CAN ALSO SCORE GIVEN THE CHANCE. ;) WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK???

• 4 weeks later...

I agree that our forward line is much better. After all in 04, the only players of our front line who scored where Charisteas and Vryzas once. I think Gekas, Samaras, Charisteas, Lybe, are much better. Having said that, the midfield and the defense is not as strong. I love Dellas, but he is getting past it. And the midfield is much slower. Remember Theo during the Spain game when we were trailing, the way he was so strong and took the initiative? If any other player besides Theo was playing on that afternoon, we would have lost. We need a guy to rally the team like that in midfield. And Basinas, Stelios, Kats, nor Karagounis (who I am a big fan of) have that ability. I still think perhaps Zikos should be given a chance. Another problem is no set piece expert like Tsartas.

I am happy we won. Unlike many who think we will be eliminated, I honestly think that in a tournament atmosphere, we can surprise people again. Not by winning, but by making it to the semis.

Andrew

I also believe our strike force is better than the euro duo of vryzas and charisteas. our defense has the potential of being on par with the euro squad. its just amatter of finetuning.

our midfield now is weaker though. firstly because we lack zagorakis and most importantly there is no tsiartas. tsiartas was a brilliant footballer. this is basically what we lack now. we can hardly get a decent free kick or corner on target. with tsiartas that was always dangerous.

Everyone seems pretty much on the ball here. This team we have now is not consistent; back in 04 they were much more reliable and cohesive. Seitaridis has never been as good since although he's improved in the last 6 months. Zagorakis was like the engine of the team. Stelios hasn't played a good game for I don't know how long (although he wasn't too bad last Saturday but nowhere NEAR 04). Dellas was injured for the longest and has never really returned to his old self. Tsartas is gone and we haven't replaced him because he's too unique of a player. We DO have more attack options however which is a good thing but I'll tell you what we really lack: a number 10. Somebody to really drive this team. I've mentioned Agritis before and I think he would change a lot of the dynamics of the team. I remember watching Aigaleo last season and seeing Otto there so its not like he doesn't know who he is. But he hasn't called him; a shame. He plays in Germany now.

Archived