Phantis Forums

New Superleague format

Ziaka

i think its great for champions league and uefa but for relegation i dont like the idea of # 14 playing #3 of B ethniki.. id rather see the 14th and 13th position fight for survival. this will aleviate many ''thrown'' games towards the end of the season.

I like the idea of reducing the teams to 14.

One reason is that in the small Greek market there is not enough talent to spread among too many teams. 14 teams would mean more meaningful games every week, and more talented players per team.

Ziaka, why don't you think it's a good idea?

Playoffs should not even be discussed in Greece! It's a terrible idea!

I do, however, like the idea of going back to 14 teams. I still cannot understand why that format was abandoned after just 1 very successful year.

I agree with Irlandos. Go back to 14 teams or even 12 teams with four rounds of games.

I don't like the play-off format at all. Makes no sense to go to play-offs after a whole season of games. They should try to make the Superleague more interesting with improved teams, officiating, facilities, insteadof copying a format from another country.

Firstly I am glad the owners are looking into improving the decaying football league.

I don't know how playoffs work in other countries so I can't judge if it would work or not, but it's been going down the tubes with disproportionate levels of violence vs attendance records. This past season we even had deaths from a prearranged ambush but it seems to have been swept under the rug. The arrests and hopeful convictions are only treating the symptoms.

I posted last year my extensive thoughts about restructuring the league, and in a nutshell I think it would be best to allow provincial towns to compete. I would even be in favor of a system like the NFL with regional games that lead to playoffs, but it might be a little too radical

Such small market can't support more than 14 teams (12 would be best because just about every game would be a derby).

Anyway, I don't understand why they are talking about this now for the season that starts in a couple of months. They should be working on long term plans so each team can plan ahead. They should make the decision now about reducing the teams in 2 years and not wait until the last minute.

Also, I saw no mention on improving the worst aspect of Greek football: officiating.

I do not agree with playoffs for CL or UEFA but i agree with them for relegation!!!

same here, but this league is owned/dominated by the clubs now (correct me if I am wrong)

Playoff games are important, numerous and are going to make more revenue for the top 5 clubs....they should also have them for relegation and promotion (giving extra games to little clubs could be a boost on them which we also want)

I mean a playoff game + a derby for europe is likely to bring in a good crowd and excitement, and it would be what 2 games that compensate for the team reduction in the regular season, except these 2 games would be worth more because they are important and vs bigger teams...

anyways P. Kokkalis has passed the Presidency to Vardinogiannis of the Superleague...

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/Superle...isa/157165.html

i have to disagree guys. i think its great because, its not like u r giving a team that didnt merit a european spot a chance to qualify. the playoffs will be played with the teams, except one, that are already qualified for europe. id love to see aris play pao and geta chance t play for the cl.

this way. a team like aris panionio or even paok, might get into the cl. this in turn will give that team the possibility of goin to the cl and actually making tranfers to contend and improve the league in a whole.

imagine this.

next year. osfp finishes first. the next four are aek pao aris and paok. lets say hypothetically paok eliminates aek and aris eliminates pao.

then itll between aris and paok to qualify for the cl.

again, hypothetically, lets say aris eliminates paok and qualifies for the cl qualification rounds.

itll give them more leverage in the transfer market and the potential of cl will attract more quality players to the smaller teams.

in holland for example, a team like AZ Alkmaar has become a force in the league in this fashion.

we might get better players to come to teams like aris, paok panionio etc.

this will in turn make the league more balanced and might even eliminate (the big three) AEK OSFP PAO, from being on top all the time.

sure, short term its just a way for the owners to make more money by having 2 home games more every year. but i liek it.

its done in scotland, in a different way and its done in holland, austria bulgaria, switzerland and the czech republic.

LAST TIME I CHECKED, THOS ECOUNTRIES ARE AHEAD OF US IN COEFFICIENT ARENTS THEY. WELL MAYBE NOT SWITZERLAND.

sorry guys but i like this.

later skaters

• 4 weeks later...

i have to disagree guys. i think its great because, its not like u r giving a team that didnt merit a european spot a chance to qualify. the playoffs will be played with the teams, except one, that are already qualified for europe. id love to see aris play pao and geta chance to play for the cl.

this way. a team like aris panionio or even paok, might get into the cl. this in turn will give that team the possibility of goin to the cl and actually making tranfers to contend and improve the league in a whole.

imagine this.

next year. osfp finishes first. the next four are aek pao aris and paok. lets say hypothetically paok eliminates aek and aris eliminates pao.

then itll between aris and paok to qualify for the cl.

again, hypothetically, lets say aris eliminates paok and qualifies for the cl qualification rounds.

itll give them more leverage in the transfer market and the potential of cl will attract more quality players to the smaller teams.

in holland for example, a team like AZ Alkmaar has become a force in the league in this fashion.

we might get better players to come to teams like aris, paok panionio etc.

this will in turn make the league more balanced and might even eliminate (the big three) AEK OSFP PAO, from being on top all the time.

sure, short term its just a way for the owners to make more money by having 2 home games more every year. but i liek it.

its done in scotland, in a different way and its done in holland, austria, bulgaria, switzerland and the czech republic.

LAST TIME I CHECKED, THOSE COUNTRIES ARE AHEAD OF US IN COEFFICIENT ARENT THEY. WELL MAYBE NOT SWITZERLAND.

sorry guys but i like this.

later skaters

Archived