Phantis Forums

DirecTV adding Greek channels?!

Hi all,

I ran across this post over at the DBS Talk forums, it probably means nothing but I found it interesting so I thought I would mention it and see what people think.

This reply is part of a post regarding whether DirecTV will be adding any British channels, someone emailed them and in the reply they got, the person mentioned that they don't carry any British channels but will soon be adding Arabic, Greek and others. Here is the quote:

I emailed D* again and again the response was useless. They thanked me for the interest, mentioned the Italian channels again, and told me they plan on adding Arabic, Greek, Japaneese, and other international channels. They did not mention anything about British channels. I have no idea what is going on now.

I was thinking that perhaps Unitel might jump ship with their channels (Alter, Mega) when their contract expires and take them to DirecTV. Seeing as how it looks like Antenna is running the show now at Dishnet, Unitel might decide to go to DirecTV instead. They may also bring in Alpha (which they have been rumoured to be negotiating with) and sweeten the deal to get people to switch over to DirecTV. These are just my thoughts and seeing as how everything is about Antenna now at Dishnet and the fact that Mega Cosmos, ERT SAT & Alter Globe are now NO LONGER available A la carte, I thought maybe Unitel might decide to leave instead of playing second fiddle to Antenna.

Channel One (popular Russian channel) jumped ship from Dishnet to DirecTV so its worth wondering if Unitel would do the same with Mega & Alter?! I wonder how many people would switch if this were to actually happen?

Aside from these channels mentioned, I can't think of what other Greek channels DirecTV might add to their line-up??

Here is the link to the post:

DBS Talk

Any one have any thoughts on this?

I'd hate for that to happen. There is no way I will be setting up two different satellite setups in order to watch Greek TV.

Antenna might be shooting themselves in the foot by putting all this pressure on Dish with their new packages. I think a lot of people will jump ship if ERT is included in the DirecTV lineup considering that the games of the two biggest Greek clubs (PAO and Olympiakos) are shown on ERT-Sat. What I found troubling is that Antenna forced Dish to provide only Antenna Satellite on Ala-Carte basis.

Hey Ziaka,

Why would you need to set up 2 satellites, that is unless you like Antenna and their crappy programming :tdown:

Good point about ERT Sat, I forgot about them. This may happen especially since the distribution rights are up for grabs and as DKSat mentioned in the ERT Sat thread, the rights holder will be announced shortly. So depending on who gets the rights they may very well move them to DirecTV. DirecTV have deeper pockets than Dishnet (I believe) so they may offer more money.

I would like that to happen to see what Antenna would do if ERT Sat and the Unitel channels (Mega & Alter) moved to DirecTV?? I don't like their programming so I would jump ship in a hearbeat (unfortunately I don't live in the US). Who would watch their useless channels then?? That is why they are adding soccer matches, because no one is watching so they needed something to attract viewers ;)

:gr:

I see that some one has spill the beans about Greek channels going to Direc TV.

Man the secret is out.

DKSat

Are any channels *moving* from dish to directv, or are some channels coming to directv? The former would be quite idiotic on the part of whatever channel would do it, unless they all moved leaving Antenna behind. But it could be that a couple of other channels are coming to directv, right?

I e-mailed DIRECTV and here is their reply:

"Thanks for your interest in DIRECTV. I'm excited to hear that you're considering joining the DIRECTV family.

I'm sorry, but we don't carry Greek programming right now. However, over the course of the next several months, we expect to begin carrying international programming in Greek, Arabic, Mandarin, Cantonese, German, Japanese, Polish, and French.

While launch dates and pricing haven't been determined for all channels yet, you can visit our web site at directv.com/International for information about our current international channels and news regarding new channels as they become available. At directv.com, you'll also find details about programming requirements and equipment needed to receive international programming.

Even if we aren't planning on adding programming in Greek right now, we often add programming based on customer requests, and I have forwarded your suggestion on to DIRECTV management."

I don't think this is an ANTENNA issue, considering how many countries/languages they mention.

The Greek packages Dish Network offers are horrible!

Really all we need is to be able to choose. Make all channels available a-la-carte and offer few balanced packages here and there. The ANT1-dominated packages they came up with are horrible. And offering only ANT1 channel a-la-carte amounts to extortion.

ANT1 wants to increase their subscriber base and instead of improving their programming they resort to some trickery to ride on the success of other channels. If you want to watch ERT SAT you are forced to pay $32.99 for a package that includes 4 (four!) ANT1 channels. Eleos!

I am a Dish Network customer and I have been very unhappy with this last move to re-allign their Greek packages.

I refuse to believe that Dish Network can be pushed around by one channel. Letters to Dish Network by all unhappy Greek customers are in order.

i would love it since i'm with direct tv....but i have gotten impatient with the possibility of Greek tv on direct tv & i'm ready to unfortunatly add Greek channels via dish... so if dirct tv gets Greek i would probably get rid of dish & eat the $200 down payment on their equiptment...

The other think that pisses me off is that in order to get ERA Sport, the radio channel, you need to get the most expansive package for $ 50.99.

I still receive the channels in the old package for $36.99 What will happen to this in the future? Dish no longer offers it. Will they force me to swiytch to any other package?

yes, ERA sport is the most bothersome. I had the 36.99 package with ERA sprot included and Dish Network changed my package to the ANT1 plus2 which does not include ERA Sport.

I spent more than 2 hours on the phone with Dish Network last week complaining about the change and the new packages. They keep saying that they have nothing to do with it and it is the Greek provider who arranges them.

I am trying to decide if SuperSport FM is a good alternative to ERA Sport. I have been listening to it for the past week and it seems to be an exact copy of ERA Sport, so I am thinking of living with supersport FM until they include era sport into another package.

Does anyone know if SupersportFM broadcasts all the games of Super Leaga, Champions League, and UEFA Cup just like ERA sport does?

I find ERASports play by play announcing to be better, but I like SuperSportFM's general programming to be better. The best thing about SupersportFM is that they talk sports past Midnight in Greece so when I listen at like 6-7PM East Coast time there is live Sports Talk rather than ERASport which switches to music and news at that time.

The other think that pisses me off is that in order to get ERA Sport, the radio channel, you need to get the most expansive package for $ 50.99.

I still receive the channels in the old package for $36.99 What will happen to this in the future? Dish no longer offers it. Will they force me to swiytch to any other package?

Never switch that package or you'll lose it.

They are making every one to switch to the new packages either you want it or not it happen to allot of people that i know.

Dish does not care because they have the monopoly on the International channels and specially on the Greek channels there is no where else to go to get the channels.

DKSat

Another piece of the puzzle perhaps supporting my theory of Globestar moving its channels (Mega & Alter) to DirecTV??

Accoriding to the Globestar website, which has FINALLY been updated after several years, it seems they plan on bringing another channel to North America- GTV (a music video channel launching soon in Greece)!

So if my theory has any truth to it (right now its just thoughts coming out of my head, no hard facts- yet) then Mega, Alter & GTV (new channel) will shift over to DirecTV.

Here is a link to Globestar's website and to GTV' site (still under construction):

Globestar (Distributes Mega Cosmos & Alter Globe in North America)

GTV (New music video service)

On another note, I see DKSat gave some vague reply, not sure if you are just making fun of my theory or whether you actually know something about Greek channels launching on DirecTV??

It  will all be determine on  who  gets the transmission rights to ERT Sat  for North America .

DKSat

You hit the nail on the head DKSat :tup:

I forgot about ERT SAT, they are the ace in the hole for whomever gets the rights, thanks to their soccer coverage. If Unitel were to get the rights (not sure if they are bidding?!) then the power would shift to them IMO. They could threaten to move their channels to DirecTV or actually do it. Then we will see how many people will stay with Dishnet if the only thing left there is craphole Antenna.

I hope Unitel is bidding and is successful (they had the rights previously) then maybe we will see ERT Sat here in Canada move to another provider as I believe that Unitel don't like dealing with Maniatakos that is why they pulled Mega Cosmos from OTN2.

Me thinks things may get interesting soon in the world of Greek TV here in North America.

Why do you guys assume that the channels will move to directv? They can be on both dishes. I know Rai is on dishnetwork and comcast. Also, why would mega move to directv? They get paid per subscriber. Do they actually think people are going to defect over to directv to watch one Greek channel? It would not be wise for dishnetwork or mega to end the relationship. I think you guys need to stop worrying.

The question is who controls the channels. Antenna is on Dish with its suite of channels with a new 10-year deal. As part of the deal they pushed all the other Greek channels into a corner. You can't even order the non-Antenna channels Ala-Carte. You can only get them as part of one of the Antenna packages.

If Unitel manages to get ERT-Sat under its wings, and toghether with Mega and Alter they will have a good negotiating card in their hands. I am sure Antenna will not want to see Greek viewers split between two satellite platforms. Also Dish might be concerned that they will lose subscribers to their American channels if a lot of the Greek viewers leave to DirecTV.

I am sure all the channels involved would prefer to be on one satellite paltform in order to maximize the possible subscriber base, but when one side has an unfair advantage over the other anything can happen.

Incidently when does the Mega/Alter (and for that matter ERT-Sat) deal with Dish expire?

Why do you guys assume that the channels will move to directv?  They can be on both dishes.  I know Rai is on dishnetwork and comcast.  Also, why would mega move to directv?  They get paid per subscriber.  Do they actually think people are going to defect over to directv to watch one Greek channel?  It would not be wise for dishnetwork or mega to end the relationship.  I think you guys need to stop worrying.

gyros,

We are not just talking about Mega here. Unitel (through Globestar) owns the distribution rights for Mega, Alter and a new channel coming soon. Also, the rights for ERT Sat are up for grabs, if they can get those too then they will control 4 channels and popular ones to boot!

As Ziaka mentioned, Antenna is in control at Dish now, if you haven't noticed ERT, Mega & Alter are no longer available al a carte an the ERT/Mega package is gone.

This whole thread started when I heard that DirecTV might be adding Greek channels and add to that the current situation (which I mentioned above) and I was just thinking aloud if maybe the channels DirecTV is supposedly going to add might be the ones that Unitel controls. Its all speculation right now and it all hinges on who gets the rights to ERT Sat.

And NO most people won't switch just for Mega BUT I am sure people would switch if Mega, ERT & Alter moved to DirecTV. When Channel One from Russia moved to DirecTV it wasn't just one channel, DirecTV added 4 or 5 other Russian channels as well. So the same will happen here if they add Greek channels at some point. Also, I doubt that the channels will be available on both providers, Dish usually signs Exclusivity deals with the International stations so that those that want these channels have to get Dishnet because that is the only place to get them. I would think DirecTV does the same?!

We shall find out soon if something happens or not. As for the Mega/Alter deal I woul be interested to know when it expires as well. If it expires soon then my theory becomes a little more viable.

Archived