Phantis Forums

CONCACAF---what a joke

evalagoal

Ok everyone.... I live here in the US and I watch the US National Mens soccer matches all the time. I'm a HUGE fan of soccer and if there's a game I'll watch it.

The one thing that I have to comment on is CONCACAF in general.

Is this a joke or what??? Even at this final phase of WC Qualifying this group is lacking talent. Other than the US and Mexico there's no-one else. The US and Mexico have qualified for the world cup now 4 straight times in a row and I guarantee you that from here on out you'll see them on each and every Wold Cup.

Now don't get me wrong they deserve it because they have won their matches, but look at their opponents from Gods sake.

Anguilla (AIA) Antigua and Barbuda (ATG)

Aruba (ARU) Bahamas (BAH)

Barbados (BRB) Belize (BLZ)

Bermuda (BER) British Virgin Islands (VGB)

Canada (CAN) Cayman Islands (CAY)

Costa Rica (CRC) Cuba (CUB)

Dominica (DMA) Dominican Republic (DOM)

El Salvador (SLV) Grenada (GRN)

Guatemala (GUA) Guyana (GUY)

Haiti (HAI) Honduras (HON)

Jamaica (JAM) Mexico (MEX)

Montserrat (MSR) Netherlands Antilles (ANT)

Nicaragua (NCA) Panama (PAN)

Puerto Rico (PUR) St. Kitts and Nevis (SKN)

St. Lucia (LCA) St. Vincent / Grenadines (VIN)

Surinam (SUR) Trinidad and Tobago (TRI)

Turks and Caicos Islands (TCA) US Virgin Islands (VIR)

I challenge anyone that reads this topic to name just one team member from half of these teams listed above. And if you would like some slack, try naming 1 player from 4 just teams?? Can you do it??? I can't The talent is that bad...

Again everyone, I'm not taking anything away from the US and Mexico, BUT........ FIFA needs to do something about this... It's a joke..

What do you all think??

trinidad &tobago got dwight yorke formelly of man u still playing for them isn't he? and owen hargreaves is canadian he should be playing for them but he's got an english grandma or something so he's allowed to play for england

but yes it's a joke just like the south were australia always get slaughtered vs. the south american team for the last WC place.

Evalagoal I agree and disagree with your statement.

Agree: No one should ever confuse CONCACAF (North America) with UEFA or CONEMBOL (South America) in terms of talent. Of the 6th confederations in the world, we're probably a close 4th /placebest behind a 3rd place Africa. Europe and SA get 1 and 2 (respectively), Asia 5th (even w/ Australlia), and Oceania 6th. While European and South teams also have tougher means of getting to the World Cup (more games and tougher opposition).

Disagree: However, aside from Mexico and the USA, we have some above-average teams. Costa Rica, HondurasJamaica, and Guatemala are not god awful by any means. Note: Honduras beat the USA in DC 3-2 in 2001 the USA's last loss in the States in a Qualifier, I was at that game and you could've played it in Tegucigalpa and no-one would've known the difference) A very fun experience (even though we lost :( ). Though they probably won't make it out a a WC group stage, making it out as if they are San Marino, Luxemborg, and Andorra is completly wrong. Oh yeah, most of the Carribean teams must go though preliminary rounds eliminating themselves, only the best play the decent or best 'mainland' teams. It's not like your ever gonna see the final group of 6 consist of the US and British Virgin Islands, Bermuda, Curcao, Mexico, and the USA, simply because the Carribean teams got lucky.

Your thoughts...???

I think we should drop regional qualifiers. It would be SOOOOO much more exciting if there were global qualifiers. So Greece would have to play Mozambique, Uzbekistan, Suriname, and whatnot. It would make it so much more entertaining and the sport would globalize much more. Imagine Brazil going to play a world cup qualifier in Thailand, where for once, a big team going to Asia would play with purpose. Imagine how much the Thais would benefit from this. The crowds, the passion around a game like that would do so much good across the globe. Then the teams that would truly belong in the World Cup would be in the World Cup, and there would be no more bitching about how CONCACAF sucks or Oceania blows and that Australia belong in Asia etc. :tdown:

I think we should drop regional qualifiers. It would be SOOOOO much more exciting if there were global qualifiers. So Greece would have to play Mozambique, Uzbekistan, Suriname, and whatnot. It would make it so much more entertaining and the sport would globalize much more. Imagine Brazil going to play a world cup qualifier in Thailand, where for once, a big team going to Asia would play with purpose. Imagine how much the Thais would benefit from this. The crowds, the passion around a game like that would do so much good across the globe. Then the teams that would truly belong in the World Cup would be in the World Cup, and there would be no more bitching about how CONCACAF sucks or Oceania blows and that Australia belong in Asia etc. :tdown:

yeah but thats $$$ and i dont think for example the english NT would risk going to Iran to play or sending the American NT drawing Iran or Iraq...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Trinidad and Tobago have just qualified for the World Cup Finals in Germany after defeating Bahrain 1-0 in the second leg of the play off. The match finished 2-1, after drawing 1-1 at home on Saturday.

They will be the least populated nation in the tournament, with just a million inhabitants.

Archived