Phantis Forums

Aigaleo v Boro

bruce

Hello!

Have just seen the draw for the next round of the UEFA and have seen that we (Middlesbrough) have drawn Aigaleo.

Can anyone share a little information on Aigaleo?

Where abouts is Aigaleo? where's the nearest airport? I've read that the stadium holds only 14,000 (so does that mean we'll only get 700 tickets?). I've also read that you guys finished 5th in the Greek league last season.

But thats about all I know. We don't get to hear much information about Greek football in England, so any info would be useful.

regards...

Bruce

Aigaleo were the suprise team of last year finishing 5th and beating or drawing with some of the heavy weights in greece (pao,oly,aek,paok)... This year the team is doing very well and currently sits on 3rd postion after 3 rounds undefeated... There is a player by the name of Agritis (aged 22) who is very dangerous and has played for the eurpeon champions (Greece :gr: ) i think twice b4 and u guys should watch out for :whistle:

What else would u like to know?? ask me anything n ill try n answer it best i can because im really a pao supporter managing this section of the forum... Ive got a neighbour who lives In Sydney Australia whos a die hard boro supporter by the name of Don aged 60 odd and he asked me to ask you hows the injuries going?? will Viduka b ready any time soon and whats the mood in the boro camp after the man united draw (which he adds is a good result considering u had like 3 players makeing the debut)

Anyways welcome to Phantis my friend enjoy :tup:

Middlesbrough get tough UEFA draw

05/10/2004: Middlesbrough will face Italian side Lazio later this month in the inaugural group stage of the UEFA Cup.

The Rome club finished sixth in Serie A last season and have signed former West Ham favourite Paolo di Canio before the start of the current campaign.

Also in with Boro are Villarreal from Spain, who knocked out Celtic in the quarter-final stage of the competition last season.

The La Liga side recently signed Diego Forlan, who was a target for Boro before joining Manchester United.

Partizan Belgrade were the next team drawn in Group E - the Serbia & Montenegro side denied Newcastle a place in the group stages of the Champions League last season when they won on penalties at St James' Park.

The final team Boro face are Greek minnows Egaleo. Steve McClaren's side booked their place by beating Czech champions Banik Ostrava 4-1 on aggregate.

Boro are playing in Europe for the first time after winning their first-ever major trophy - the Carling Cup - last season.

Thanks for the info.

We all thought Hasslebaink and Viduka would be back for the game against Man Utd, but they're still injured.

According to http://www.physioroom.com/news/table_current.shtml they'll both be back for the 16th, so they should both play against Aigaleo. The mood is really upbeat at the moment.

When we beat Ostrava 3-nil at home, expectations were high against Chelsea - I was chatting to some Ostrava fans last week who even bet on Boro winning. To be honest, it was the worst performance I've seen in a long long time against Chelsea. So, when we went to Ostrava and they got the early goal, we all got a bit nervous.

But our younger players, Morrison and Downing were superb, whilst our defence looked really solid. I don't think Nemeth is the best player to play on his own up front, so we didn't have any real firepower until Christie came on. Thats when the game changed and we got our goal.

As for against Utd. We had 7 first teamers out, and had three players make their premiership debuts - Morrison, Graham and McMahon. The goalscorer - Downing is only 19 too. I didn't see the game, but have heard many reports saying that we deserved to win the game. After the worst performance against Chelsea, we put in one of our best against Utd.

I now know that Egaleo is based in Athens.

How big is the away end? Do you think we'll only be given 700 tickets?

So - its your first time playing in Europe - ours too! Let's hope its a good game of football.

Bruce

Guest jimadoo

Hi Hollywood.

Thanks for information. I'm another Boro fan and you will find hundreds of us checking out this site in the near future for info on Aigaleo and the chances of getting tickets for the match. Do you know what Aigaleo average crowds are in the league? I see they got 4500 for the game in the last round. Any info on the area of Athens its in, hotels, transport, etc will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Welcome Boro fans. Unfortunately your team eliminated one of my favorite teams Banik Ostrava from UEFA Cup. Did you guys travel to Ostrava to see the game? If yers, how was the atmosphere. I read somewhere that there was some fan trouble during the game at Ostrava. Any details?

Hi Hollywood.

Thanks for information. I'm another Boro fan and you will find hundreds of us checking out this site in the near future for info on Aigaleo and the chances of getting tickets for the match. Do you know what Aigaleo average crowds are in the league? I see they got 4500 for the game in the last round. Any info on the area of Athens its in, hotels, transport, etc will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

To be Honest with you, i wouldnt know the info of the top of my head because i live in Sydney Australia and im actually a Pao supporter However i will try n find out any info that u request... just give me some time thankz :)

Welcome to the Boro fans,

The best advice I can give you on accomodation is to get something close to the City of Athens centre, because there isn't much to do or see in the suburb of Egaleo or Peristeri (it neighbours are is larger).

I do no reside in Athens my self so I'm not sure which would be the be metro connections but from what I remember when I lived a short time in Athens, Aegaleo is about a 35 minute Bus ride from the centre of Athens.

I couln't find an official team web site for you but I did find a fans website which does not have an English section. There is however a fans forum where you can register and post your queries about Egaleo and someone may help you out with him. It's all gonna be Greek for you so good luck :tup:

Egaleo fans forum

Here is some information on how to get to the stadium yet, I cannot confirm if the venue for the game will be the "Stavros Mavrothalassitis Stadium"(whic is Egaleo's home ground) or Rizoupoli Stadium as is says for the UEFA Cup games but it is most likely since I don't think that the SM fits UEFA's requirements

Stavros Mavrothalassitis Stadium info

Rizoupoli Stadium

Welcome Boro fans. Unfortunately your team eliminated one of my favorite teams Banik Ostrava from UEFA Cup. Did you guys travel to Ostrava to see the game? If yers, how was the atmosphere. I read somewhere that there was some fan trouble during the game at Ostrava. Any details?

Ziaka

Well, I'm not sorry we knocked out Banik. ;) I was there, and yes there was a little bit of trouble. It was quite surprising really. When Ostrava came over to Boro, they were welcomed with open arms and we all got on really well. We'd heard in Prague (the night b4 the game) that Banik were the worst team in the Czech Republic for hooliganism, but it was thought that there wouldn't be any problems at we'd all got on so well in Middlesbrough.

There were dozens of police on the train, and hundreds in the station when we arrived. But there were no hints of any trouble.

We didn't have tickets for the boro end, we had tickets in the main stand. After hearing about the problems with Baniks hooligans (mostly Polish we were told) I went up to the stadium and purchased tickets in a different area of the ground - right next to the Boro enclusure.

We went out in Ostrava before the game, and were drinking with a group of local miners. They had banik flags, and one wore a boro scarf. The atmosphere in the town b4 the game was fantastic.

We all walked up to the stadium, Boro and Banik together. We saw the bus fulls of police outside the ground, and we made our way round to the main entrance and went in with the Banik fans. We didn't hide the fact we were English - we were all laughing and joking with the locals. We ate some food, and drank some beer, then made our way to our seats.

From what I could see when the trouble started was that a group (of what looked like teenagers) of local fans, had made their way round to where all the boro fans were. There were no police and no stewards. I didn't see what started the fighting, but it didn't look like too many were involved. After a few minutes, the police arrived and the banik fans ran away. You could see where all the seats had been ripped up - mostly on the side where the banik fans were.

There didn't seem to be any more trouble after that. The police rushed into where we were because they thought someone was fighting, but someone had slipped on the wet plastic seats.

After the game, we made our way back into the town, and no signs of any more problems. Again, we made our way into the local bars, and met more Banik fans. They were all really friendly. I don't know a single Boro fan who went home wearing a boro shirt - they all got swapped with locals for Banik shirts and scarves.

It was a great night. Its just a shame that such a small amount idiots, who'd seen the fighting on the telly, wanted to ruin it for everyone else.

Lets hope the night in Athens will be a good one for everyone. Don't forget that Newcastle (our local rivals) are there too that night. And Arsenal are playing there the night before.

Bruce

bruce,

Thanks for the report. I was mainly interested since I grew up in Ostrava, and I followed the team since I was about 8 years old. I have not been to Ostrava since 1993, but I still follow the team through internet. I read on the internet about the fan trouble during the game and wanted to get a view from somebody who was at the stadium.

How did you like Ostrava? Looks like you guys had a good time there.

BTW, good luck to Boro in the UEFA Cup.

BTW, good luck to Boro in the UEFA Cup.

Ey dnt wish them luck :P we need all the luck in the world to beat the Boro!! which i belive we have a chance :box: :box: :box:

P.S did anyone notice that its going to b the invasion of the poms?? (boro,arsenal,newcastle) ??? i say bring em on :gr:

Aigaleo v Middlesbrough: Preview

PA

Middlesbrough boss Steve McClaren is ready to unleash his first-choice strikeforce of Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink and fit-again Mark Viduka on Greek minnows Egaelo as he looks to get Boro's UEFA Cup Group E campaign off to a winning start in Athens.

Viduka, who has recovered from a hip injury to take his place in the squad for what is expected to be a tough assignment in Greece, is itching to play and McClaren hinted he may reunite him with the in-form Dutchman, a hat-trick hero at the weekend in the 4-0 win at Blackburn.

"Mark's seriously in my plans. He's had a bit of a hip problem and hasn't trained much but he wants to play," McClaren said.

"Its great to have both players fit and available again."

to read more go to www.espn.com

Egaleo 0 Middlesbrough 1

Young wing wizard Stewart Downing came off the bench save Middlesbrough manager Steve McClaren’s blushes with a crucial goal which ensured the Teessiders’ UEFA Cup Group E campaign got off to a winning start.

The 11,700-capacity Rizoupoli stadium was not more than one third full when the match got underway after a five-minute delay – but the Egaleo fans made their presence felt with loud drums and constant chanting.

The 20-year-old grabbed all three points for the visitors with a neat low finish with just 12 minutes left.

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/sport/story.asp...9z936x&t=soccer

P.S How unlucky were Aigaleo, like u said a draw was a more fitting result :(

Archived