Phantis Forums

Aggelos Charisteas ‒ (Retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 416
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ajax sign striker Huntelaar

Reuters

Ajax Amsterdam have reached agreement with Heerenveen to sign striker Klaas-Jan Huntelaar, Ajax said.

Ajax will pay Heerenveen 9 million euros (AUS$14.5million) for the 22-year-old who has agreed a four-and-a-half year contract.

Huntelaar has scored 16 goals in 17 matches this season and will play his last game for Heerenveen on Friday (Saturday morning AEDT) against Ajax before moving to Amsterdam on January 1.

"Huntelaar is a real striker, who will feel comfortable with us. He is still young and already leading goalscorer. I have a lot of faith in him and his future at Ajax," Ajax coach Danny Blind said in a statement.

:ph34r: :tdown:

CHARISTEAS WANTS TO STAY AT AJAX

Click here for our Transfer Centre

Angelos Charisteas' agent insists the player has no intention of leaving Ajax even though the club deem him surplus to requirements.

The Amsterdammers' technical director Martin van Geel said on Thursday that the signing of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar from Heerenveen would seriously reduce Charisteas' playing time and that he was free to leave the ArenA.

But Paul Koutsouliakos, who represents the Greek international, says Charisteas is happy to wait for his chance.

He told AD Sportwereld: "Martin van Geel can say whatever he likes in the media but Angelos stays at Ajax.

"Certainly until the end of this season. I will not speak with any other clubs, I see no reason too.

"Angelos has started to play better and better in the last few weeks.

"But if the coach puts him on the bench, he will respect that.

"In any case we will wait for the summer break. After that we will see."

Charisteas, whose contract in Amsterdam runs until 2008, helped Greece win Euro 2004 at a time when he was a reserve with Werder Bremen with three goals in the tournament including the winner against Portugal in the final.

He had been linked with a move to Sunderland but the Wearsiders' perilous position at the foot of the Premiership did not appeal to the 25-year-old.

Looks like Charisteas is out of their plans :tdown:

I havent seen him play lately but - 4 starts 3 subs and 6 goals

I know this new guy is young - and Dutch - but Charisteas can still play and score goals -

next stop????? I would think he would do wellin England - maybe join one of the others in Scotland???

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Can you not see that the euro was just a one-off for him. How will greece get his career back on track? HE IS USELESS!!!

The problem with Haristea is that he doesn't use his main attributes anymore! He isn't exactly the most talented player! He's very good in the air and during the EURO he was so good because he put himself about! He'd fight for every loose ball, chasing down lost causes and winning everything in the air. This made him dangerous because he literally harried defenders into mistakes.

Now though he doesn't want to know! He's become lazy! He doesn't come deep to fight for the ball, he doesn't throw himself about in the box to win headers, he just doesn't care! At the EURO you could play a long ball anywhere within 5 metres of Haristea and he'd win it, now you have to put it straight on his head because he doesn't move!

So by sacrificing the fight he had inside him, he's ruined himself as a player! He needs to be dropped for a few games, hopefully that will hurt his pride enough to reignite that flame, because at the moment, you're right PAOK4, he's uselless!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Not very sharp guys; he's definitely not "useless" as you say. I'll tell you exactly what the problem is: He's in the WRONG LEAGUE. Haristeas should be playing in the Premiership; this would be perfect for his style of play. He's a finisher and he uses his height to his advantage. He can't dribble around, keep posession and score but he can win balls and take the shot. He's limited but he's fast. Italy would be wrong for him as well as Spain. But England would work because of their fast up and down the field type of play and their precision long balls. He would have a totally different career right now if he were playing for a team like Aston Villa or Bolton. Maybe his manager just doesn't know what he's doing. I hope something changes for the better! It would be nice to get this message to him directly because I'm telling you, it would work!

Not very sharp guys; he's definitely not "useless" as you say. I'll tell you exactly what the problem is: He's in the WRONG LEAGUE. Haristeas should be playing in the Premiership; this would be perfect for his style of play. He's a finisher and he uses his height to his advantage. He can't dribble around, keep posession and score but he can win balls and take the shot. He's limited but he's fast. Italy would be wrong for him as well as Spain. But England would work because of their fast up and down the field type of play and their precision long balls. He would have a totally different career right now if he were playing for a team like Aston Villa or Bolton. Maybe his manager just doesn't know what he's doing. I hope something changes for the better! It would be nice to get this message to him directly because I'm telling you, it would work!

I wish I could agree with you Clover but I've seen him so many times for Ajax, and if he isn't doing it in Holland he won't do it in the Prem. He doesn't work hard enough any more to shut players down and he doesn't make chances for himself. You are right that he'd fit in with Bolton's style of play though. It would be worth him trying out there but I really don't think he'd do it.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

yeah - he's done in Holland - I think i read (maybe it was on this board) that he had a chance to go to Portsmouth or Sunderland (or some other low placed Englancd team) and turned it down - it will be interestig to see what happens in the summer - maybe a newly promoted team will give him a call

yeah - he's done in Holland - I think i read (maybe it was on this board) that he had a chance to go to Portsmouth or Sunderland (or some other low placed Englancd team) and turned it down - it will be interestig to see what happens in the summer - maybe a newly promoted team will give him a call

Yes, he had a chance to go to Sunderland on loan and he turned it down. He should've gone. He would have had games under his belt and 6 months of Premiership experience. There's also talk of him going back to Greece, with Xanthi interested in signing him. This is a move I wouldn't advise for him. He should consider a move to a lowly Prem team or maybe even go to France or Belgium. He needs a major confidence boost either way!

• Argy changed the title to Aggelos Charisteas ‒ (Retired)
  • Argy locked this topic

Archived