Phantis Forums

EL-GS-R1: Qabala FK - PAOK FC (17-Sep-15, 20:00 GR)

Blackhawk

Qabala.jpgvsPAOK.jpg

MATCHUP:            Qabala FK - P.A.O.K. Thessaloniki

COMPETITION:     Europa League ? Group Stage - Round 1 

DATE:                     17-September-2015

TIME:                      20:00 GR  (17:00 GMT, 12:00 CDT, 03:00 AEST next day)

CITY/STADIUM:    Baku ? Bakcell Arena (15,000)

REFEREES:  

TELEVISION:          OTE Sport TV (Greece), Fox Soccer 2GO (USA), beIN Sports Connect (Australia)

The PAOK Europa League group stage campaign starts in Azerbaijan against Qabala FK, the team that eliminated Panathinaikos. If we want to have a good showing in this group we need to win both games against this team, starting on Thursday in Baku. This will be our first ever game against a team from Azerbaijan in European competition.

So it seems to me that our team is pretty clear for this. I don't think Berbatov will start again, he seems too out of shape. Klaus should be good for the whole 90 I'd think, he's been regularly training for three weeks now.

--Olsen--

--Vitor--Costa--Tzavellas--

--Kitsiou--Tziolis--Kace--Mak--

--Pelkas--

--Jairo--Klaus--

I think he'll stay with Tzavellas as CB over Malezas until he screws up. The rest of the team pretty much selects itself - if Mak or Jairo does not cut it, we'll see Konstantinidis come in for one of them, with Kitsiou moving to the left side. I'm sure we'll see Berbatov make an appearance as well - the end-of-game lineup would probably look like this (again, no surprises):

--Konstantinidis--Tziolis--Kace--Kitsiou--

--Pelkas--

--Berbatov--Klaus--

pash Jairo is ineligible to play in EL. I think we will see Rodrigues instead.

Spanish refs again BTW.

Also the atmosphere might be little tense in the stadium, since the Azeris are quite friendly with Turkey.

So Leovac and Cimirot are out (any idea on how long for Cimirot?). Leovac has been good, but fortunately we have no shortage of players for either wingback position.

Antonis was reported to be injured too but I saw him training with the others in one of the videos the club posted yesterday.

Cimirot was initially out for 2 months. read somewhere that only last week he started running at practice. Antonis is supposedly fit, but probably not game ready.

Jairo can't play, because he played for his old team in Europe.

Was is it with our team and injuries ?  We seem to get more than other sides, or is it just my perception ?

Leovac, considering the schedule in the next few weeks is a big loss.  Assuming he's fit the left back position is his.  As pash said, we have others who can fill the position.  Tzavellas, Korovesis ... in theory.  Although Tudor seems to be favouring Kitsiou on that side.  Damn, I'm annoyed.

Don't forget the wingers. Jairo, Mak, Rodrigues, Kitsiou and Korovesis as you said. Mistakidis played in that same position during preseason and scored as well (same game where Klaus got injured I believe). Hell, even Pelkas can play on the wing.

I should also note that each time I've seen Korovesis play, he's been very good. I don't feel he'd be out of his depth there.

For many of the games we'll be playing, we won't need strong defensive showings by our wingbacks, at any rate.

I just mean long-term throughout the season, we'll be playing against teams who park the bus. It does suck about Leovac for these upcoming games, but I think Korovesis is a like-for-like replacement for him, and let's not forget that Mak was a lock in that position up until the regular season started (and he was moved into a CF role out of necessity).

• Like it 1

I was under the impression that clubs submit there squads each round. Jairo would've been registered with his former club in the qualifying round, meaning he'd be eligible to register with another group for the group stage. I could be wrong but I think if we make it into the knockout stages, we submit another roster for the competition.