Phantis Forums

Michael Essien

Accor6

Welcome Essien!

Like Djibril before you, bring your winner's mentality/attitude to the club!1854661930-19052012234516.jpg

It just occurred to me that it would be wrong not to include the Invisible Wall in the conversation when talking about winner's mentality..

brazil-gilberto-silva.jpg

Lets not go overboard over here....

Gilberto is in a class of his own... he was getting regular playing time at Arsenal and was never seriously injured throughout his career... on top of that, he was still the captain of the Brazilian NT

Essien has had a PHENOMENAL career playing for some of the biggest clubs in the world but has had some injury issues over the past 2 years...  he's not the player he once was, but he still has a decent amount to offer... his experience, calmness and ability on the field make him a good player to have (IF HE CAN STAY HEALTHY)... THATS a huge gamble

I'm only against this move b/c of the money and the fact that we have a finite amount.... otherwise I'd welcome this guy with open arms

Don't know how the lockerroom dynamics will be when some of the younger players find out he's making10x more money than they are

@ Freezer: Yes, and Cisse came after two broken legs and still lit up the SL.

As for the locker room dynamics point you bring up, I don't buy this. In time, if the younger players perform, they will get paid. As a 21 year old, a player should aspire to establishing himself through hard work. I think the young guns will welcome Essien with open arms in order to learn what it takes to be a pro.

Edited by Giourkas
  • Like it 1

Good points i'll admit..

However, the lockerroom may go to hell if Essien ends up injured for a couple months....

Not only that, but PAO, economically, speaking, is not set up to bring those big money earner players...  In terms of salary, PAO is set up to push younger players out of the Greek League

This is why Ninis left...  Ninis was making close to 300k and we offered a new contract with 450k... thats a 50% increase from what he was making... thats GREAT... however Parma offered him close to 900k.... you can't compete with that and thus he left

You bring Essien in... you eat up all your cash... you can't offer players who have contract renewals adequate salaries and they leave...

I see Lagos leaving very soon to be honest...  he's making low low salary and we may give him a 100% raise, but some random German club will offer him 3x the amount and he'll jump ship

Freezer, it's not like we signed him for 5 years dude... In 2 years time, at 34/35 years of age, chances are he will be done, and there will be plenty of cash leftover to pay the young bucks...

Stop being negative!!! :D

Edited by Giourkas

This signing puts PAO back on the map, add to this signing a couple more solid ones and anything is possible. Last year's team wasn't too far from a championship team. If we build on the team that dominated the playoffs we will see great things.

Edited by Jimmy Prasinos
  • Like it 2

World class dynamo. Box to box midfielder from 03 to 09. Well obviously he is nowhere near today the same player as then cause if he still was he wouldn't exactly be playing in Greece now would he ?

Nevertheless he adds to this PAO team a certain prestige, experience , guile and vision. If he stays relatively fit he will be nothing but a major upgrade and improve this team.

The money he will earn is irrelevant. If some of the younger PAO players have a problem with that then I suggest they become better players and earn more money elsewhere.

• Like it 2

Hi guys, i think its great to be signing these kind of caliber players again from what we had become. When cisse arrived many said that he was finished and look what he did for us, hopefully a taste of things to come in the future