Phantis Forums

Saint Etienne-Olympiakos

Crazy

Olympiakos will have to travel to France to play the second match for the UEFA cup and things could not look any worse.Is not only the fact that Olympiakos lost the first game with 1-3 and pretty much is close to imposible to turn that around and go through.We also have Belluschi and Domi out for the next 3 weeks,Galletti trying hard to at least be ready to play in the upcoming derby against Pao next weekend,Zevlakow has some small knee injury and last,Antzas and Patsatzoglou are recovering for minor injuries and propably are going to be fit for Saint Etienne.Olympiakso have lost 2 games in a row and many people,even from the team are in a shock like how could this have happen.People need to realize that we are not Man U or Inter and losing is part of the game.What makes a team better is how to handle thess kind of situations and get stronger from them.I dont expect a victory in this game but i want to see effort from the players that Valverde will use for this game.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Qualifying is not impossible on theory.

Olympiakos can focus on attack (conceding once won't make a difference, 3 is still needed!). Of course Olympiakos' away form is abysmal, but it's the coach's job to convince the players that a win is possible. After all what is a 0-3 win?? If Olympiakos win the first half 0-1 (not impossible) then they need to get a 2nd. If that 2nd comes, even as late as 80mins, St Etiene will be under extraordinary pressure in those last 10 mins. In that situation you throw everyone forward, including a centre-back up front and start launching the ball into the box. How many times have we seen English teams get out of situations in the last 10 mins? (Man Utd vs Bayern, Middlesborough vs Steaua, Liverpool vs Olympiakos, etc). It's really not THAT difficult for a strong team with great self belief...

HOWEVER: Olympiakos has a poor psychology, has no defence, is filled with tired players at the moment, and is without galletti & belluschi. On top of that Oly's game after this tie is the derby agaisnt PAO which, because of the idiotic mentality in Greece, will undoubtedly be the priority. All that in mind I can't see Olympiakos making a game of it. Olympiakos will put up a resistance for about 15-20 mins, then St Etienne will cruise through:

St Etienne 2-0 Olympiakos

If I was the manager I'd play 3-2-3-2:

----------------------------------------Nikopolidis-------------------------------------------

------------------------Zewlakow--------Antzas-------A.Papadopoulos-------------------

------------------------------------Patsa---------Dudu--------------------------------------

Torosidis--------------------------------Djordjevic-------------------------------------Leto

------------------------------Mitroglou--------------Diogo-----------------------------------

Assuming the players have the hunger, this could provide the defensive solidarity and attacking capability to overturn the 1-3 result.

olympiacos has to get results but also hold their defensice record in tact.

i would be playing

4 -2-3-1

with it changing to a 4-3-3 on counter

i love to see dudu released into this free role position..

------------------------------------------diogo-----------------------------------------------

---------leto-----------------------------dudu-------------------------------derbyshire-----

-------------------------------patsa-------------torosidis------------------------------------

--leonardo-----------------antsas------------------zevlakov-----------------pantos------

---------------------------------------nikopolidis--------------------------------------------

I am not sure but i think i prefer Dudu as a defencive midfielder since he is the only one that tries hard to keep the line and does a good work but on the other hand,he does have a really strong shooting leg and maybe he could score 1-2 full power bombs.

Another European campaign over. At least they should try and finish off with a decent display.

Oly's away (in Europe) form this season has been shcoking. They made Galatasaray look like the greatest team on earth.

I'm a realist and recognise that we aren't going to win, but I just hope for a decent performance and some attempt at pride.

Leto is one of the few hopes that i have regarding Olympiakos players that might suprise Saint Etienne defenders and create some good chances for us.

On other news about the same player,Leto, Liverpool answered Olympiakos that this is not the time to have any talks about the posibillity of the player staying with Olympiakos for 1 more year and that Olympiakos will need to wait for the end of the season to learn about the final decision of Liverpool on the loan deal that Olympiakos hopes for.

Olympiakos starting line up in a 4-2-3-1 formation:

--------------------------Nikopolidis----------------------

-Galitsios-----Zevlakow--------Antzas-----------Pantos

---------------------Dudu---Patsatzoglou----------------

--Torosidis-------------Oscar-------------------Leto-----

-----------------------Diogo-------------------------------

We are trying with long balls to create something when we should play the ball low and fast.

Antzas corrected turning the ball over by holding a player of Saint Etiennne that was getting free and he sees the first yellow of the game.

Archived