Phantis Forums

Friendly: Greece - Portugal

Genome

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Portugal tied and lost to Greece in 2 friendlies the last few years and the Portugal U19 team lost to Greece U19 last summer in the quarterfinals. Portugal is our favorite customer. Keep crying, Ronaldo. Take a loss like a man

One day, when you have players like Ronaldo, Figo or Eusebio you will understand greatness.

I guess my old friend Drakos 13 is laughing with delight right now but , you never know, we may meet in the final again :D

nonono I was not laughing at Greece beating Portugal...

I was laughing at Karagkounis......scoring twice from free kicks......it makes no sense to PAO fans...

You have to understand, hes back at PAO now and hes been very average...and his free kicks, shooting, corners have been HORRIBLE.......AWFUL......MIERDA....... and all of a sudden hes playing fantastic, scoring free kicks....(when recently PAO blew the league lead to a small team and we were wondering how in 4 days the performance is so dramatically different - and how all of a sudden the man can shoot free kicks?)

I always thougt Karagounis was a good player. I didnt know he could score from set pieces but the guy has talent. If he is not delivering at PAO it makes me even more bitter. He chose the opponent very well to start a new life. :(

Maybe Otto insisted with him in trainings.

Portugal tied and lost to Greece in 2 friendlies the last few years and the Portugal U19 team lost to Greece U19 last summer in the quarterfinals. Portugal is our favorite customer. Keep crying, Ronaldo. Take a loss like a man

One day, when you have players like Ronaldo, Figo or Eusebio you will understand greatness.
What greatness? What did Ronaldo, Figo or Eusebio do when they came out vs Greece? You can keep that greatness, we'll take the European Championship, ... and the win ;) !

Greece have had some pretty spectacular players too (Domazos, Hatzipanagis, etc). Eusebio is definitely a great and Figo was amazing too. Not sure Ronaldo has warranted that title just yet, although he does have the world at his feet.

No one is questioning Portugal's footballing ability or tradition. I for one love the Portuguese team. Lovely, attractive football. And because I love the people and the country too Portugal has always been like a 2nd team for me (and indeed to a lot of other Greeks I know). But you have to understand that before Euro 2004 Greece hadn't acheived anything in football, and because we are such a sports-mad country that has had many social & political problems over the years winning Euro 2004 was especially sweet. Along with the Olympics, it brought Greeks together, gave people a sense of pride that they hadn't had before. And because we beat a team as amazing as Portugal it was even more incredible. It was an honour to beat a team with so many stars in their home patch.

The Portuguese people were, like they always are, wonderful. They applauded the Greek team and fans and made everyone feel welcome. But you have to understand that because the players were so ungracious in defeat it created a bit of a rivalry. Saying things like: Greece is a small team (C. Ronaldo), or that Greece plays anti-football and it was a bad thing for football that they won Euro 2004 (Maniche), or that "I don't even know any players on the Greece team" (C. Ronaldo), is disrespectful and ungracious. This is why some Greeks have become frustrated with your players and why Ronaldo is suffering some abuse.

Like you say, Greece hasn't got players as great as Ronaldo and Figo (or Rui Costa). But that's why winning Euro 2004 against these great players was all the more special.

Guest TheLegend

Here's an article by UEFA. You've got Karagounis complaining that he doesn't get to take the free-kicks at PAO (Drakos will love that one), but Nuno Gomes saying the free-kicks were "lucky"

Guest TheLegend

I guess my old friend Drakos 13 is laughing with delight right now but , you never know, we may meet in the final again :D

nonono I was not laughing at Greece beating Portugal...

I was laughing at Karagkounis......scoring twice from free kicks......it makes no sense to PAO fans...

You have to understand, hes back at PAO now and hes been very average...and his free kicks, shooting, corners have been HORRIBLE.......AWFUL......MIERDA....... and all of a sudden hes playing fantastic, scoring free kicks....(when recently PAO blew the league lead to a small team and we were wondering how in 4 days the performance is so dramatically different - and how all of a sudden the man can shoot free kicks?)

He scored 2 nice kicks doesnt mean he knows how to take a kick. I too see him at pao and he CANT take kicks... but everyone can score once in a while

This post by this Portuguese guy is a clear cut example of the mentality of a Portuguese soccer fan. You bring up individual players and talk about greatness. These players' greatness pale in comparison to:

* Greece's record against Portugal since November 2003

* Greece winning Euro 2004 and beating Portugal in their own backyard

* Portugal never winning a major championship

National team accomplishments far outweigh star player accomplishments. That is why this current generation of Portugal players will not win a major national team title because they are not familiar with the concept of team ball, a concept that Greece is in tune with. TEAMS WINS TITLES NOT INDIVIDUAL PLAYERS.

So, keep talking about Portugal player greatness while Greece continues to beat and avoid losing to Portugal and parade its staus as the current Euro champion. Its also fun seeing Rehhagel outcoach Scolari continuously and listening to the greatness of Portugal players whine and complain and make excuses in the last 3 matches between the teams

Archived