Phantis Forums

Malartz & Galinovic

cyberfish

Risking the invitation of some heated arguments I decided to look up the two goalkeepers we have and their games up to today. I'll say right off the bat that from what I've seen this season, I prefer Galinovic over Malartz at this point because I think our team needs all the help it can get in the air and Galinovic is better in this respect. OTH, I like Malartz, and I feel comfortable with him starting.

As of today (before the game against OFI):

In the SL, both players have exactly the same playing time with 6 games each (540 minutes each)

In the UEFAcup, Malartz has played more (4 games vs. 2)

In the SL, Malartz conceded 1 goal (from penalty at Asteras), while Galinovic saw the ball four times rest in his net (two of these came in one game in Larissa)

In UEFA cup, Malartz conceded 3 goals (two of them against Atletico), while Galinovic kept a clean sheet in his two games.

I also looked at the two CBs in front. Galinovic has played almost exclusively (except one game) with Sariegi-Morris in front of him, while Malartz has seen them all rotate (with Morris present in almost all games).

So, Overall so far:

Games played: Galinovic 8, Malartz 10

Goals conceded: Galinovic 4, Malartz 4

I think we have two very good goalkeepers capable of the best on the pitch, although I think they both have some weaknesses. Maybe Peseiro decided to give both equal chances to see if one pulls ahead. Galinovic has played some very good games for us in the past and now that he seems to have eliminated some sporadic boneheaded plays I feel more comfortable with him. Malartz is an excellent shot blocker who has showed some weakness in high balls in traffic, and I would not be upset if he was a constant starter. I think internal competition for the position is good for the team.

I'm going back and forth on this. Malarz was great last season with Xanthi, while Gali was not with us.

The age isn't a problem for either.

For now, I'd say keep Gali as #1.

Cyberfish makes a great point about who's defending infront of the goalkeeper. It makes a huge difference!

Also, depending on the game.... If you anticipate lots of traffic in the box, then someone who's better in the air and in traffic should play. The same when you play against teams that try mostly shots from outside the box ;)

I must disagree with you about Gali beeing more secure with high balls. This guy made more errors when he has to go out for a high ball than i can count.

Den kserei na bgainei to paidi.

OTH i can remember Malarz having done any mistake himself which led or could have led to a goal.

If u take the games this season , id say its pretty even, but overall i just feel more comfortable with malartz. i dont know why. maybe its the harsh memories of galinovic last year against ionikos, lens, ofi and a few other games where he was directly to blame for certain goals.

ive only seen malartz play a season and a half but the fact he hasnt givn up twenty goals in his superleague career yet says soemthing.

ps he shut out AEK, OLY and pao TWICE last year,

Galino didnt play in one single derby for us last year.

o malartzt ekane mia apokrousi sto paixidi me ton ofi pou mas esose apo veveo goal! to mono kako tou einai oti kamia fora vgenei poly apo tin estia tou.. sta tet-a-tet leo...

After the amazing saves Malartz pulled off at Kaftatzogleio it will be hard to displace him again.

Interestingly, I found the goalkeeper stats here http://www.galanissportsdata.com/football/...epltot.asp?s=10

Malartz is typically near the top of the table with 1 goal every 20 shots (Galinovic has conceded 1 goal every 3.5 shots on target).

Malartz also has better performance in "clearances from the penalty area" with 25, vs 22 of Galinovic.

Dum spiro mathaino...

• 3 weeks later...

I am watching Ofi-Olympiakos and I am very impressed with Tzorvas. Maybe we can buy him back this summer :) In an interview before the game he said his childhood dream was to play in a derby Olympiakos-Panathinaikos. I am glad he found some playing time, and although I have not seen Karnezis play, Tzorvas looks like he has the skills to play at a high level.

I opened this topic not too long ago thinking we have two equally good goalkeepers, but by now I have second thoughts. I think we need someone special at goal...

I had suggested that Tzorvas should be called by Rehhagel instead of Halkias. Great talent. But, I believe a great goalie has the initial talent but needs to find the right conditions to become a great keeper.

I had suggested that Tzorvas should be called by Rehhagel instead of Halkias. Great talent. But, I believe a great goalie has the initial talent but needs to find the right conditions to become a great keeper.

At least the kid is getting some playing time. Pao is not the place where one can develop without being chastised every time he makes an error.

That's what I'm saying. Can you imagine Tzorvas being grilled for the cup disaster???!!! I see that Gali is held (by some) as responsible for a couple goals. . And, I think fans can easily buy the view, "the kid (ie Tzorvas) is inexperienced, he must be responsible".... and, "if we had ______ (insert name) we wouldn't have lost!".... :angry:

Today Tzorvas had some excellent saves. At least one was the stuff of a great goalkeeper. I can see him working up towards a bigger team and even the NT pretty soon. I have not seen any other Ofi games though so I am not sure if he is consistent enough. It's his first year though, so I wish him luck.

BTW, Tzorvas went to Ofi on a free transfer and is under contract until 1010. We sent him over in exchange for Karnezis who has not played a minute this season. Karnezis seems to have the right body type and height reminiscent of great goalkeepers.

I think Galinovic and Malartz are good, but I am longing for the days when a keeper like Vantsik made everyone sleep easier at night knowing that no ordinary play can defeat him. That's why I mentioned maybe we should upgrade the position in the summer.

At least the kid is getting some playing time. Pao is not the place where one can develop without being chastised every time he makes an error.

for some reason i dont like tzorvas.. i would prefer daskalaki from ergoteli or even more mixailidi from atromito for ethniki!!!

Archived