Phantis Forums

Socratis Papastathopoulos

george21

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

He needs to stay. If we going to built a team for the championship we need to keep our young talent. The times of rebuilding is over. Is now time for championships!!!!

Wigan!!?! :LOL:

Why on earth would he go to wigan? I think the right move would be for him to stay at aek. Aek is better then wigan.

If you're 26 years old for example, then AEK is clearly a better team to play for. AEK is better than Wigan and can offer European football. But Papastathopoulos is 19. By going to Wigan he'll have the following benefits:

1) He will get training from Premiership coaches which will add a different dimension to his game. In other words, he should theoretically become a more cultured player.

2) Wigan are not the best of Premiership sides which means that he will be in a team which will require him to cope with incessant pressure. Being a defender for a league chasing team (AEK) requires different skills from a team battling against imigration (Wigan), he'd get to know both.

3) In the Premiership he'll be up against 4 teams that are in the top 6 in Europe. If he learns to cope with players like Ronaldo, Drogba, Torres, etc, he'll be able to cope with anyone.

4) If one day he has ambitions to reach the very top he has to be in a top league, and the Premiership is the most watched league in the world so where better to advertise his abilities?

5) The Premiership might not be the most technical of leagues, but Greek defenders always seem to struggle with the Premiership tempo. If he gets used to the Premiership tempo he'll have a skill that eludes most other Premiership defenders.

If he doesn't go to Wigan he'll end up staying in Greece forever or moving to a mediocre German team somewhere down the line. These are key years for him and he has to go. It's best for him and for Greek football, and with the money AEK will get it's probably even good for the club too.

If you're 26 years old for example, then AEK is clearly a better team to play for. AEK is better than Wigan and can offer European football. But Papastathopoulos is 19. By going to Wigan he'll have the following benefits:

1) He will get training from Premiership coaches which will add a different dimension to his game. In other words, he should theoretically become a more cultured player.

2) Wigan are not the best of Premiership sides which means that he will be in a team which will require him to cope with incessant pressure. Being a defender for a league chasing team (AEK) requires different skills from a team battling against imigration (Wigan), he'd get to know both.

3) In the Premiership he'll be up against 4 teams that are in the top 6 in Europe. If he learns to cope with players like Ronaldo, Drogba, Torres, etc, he'll be able to cope with anyone.

4) If one day he has ambitions to reach the very top he has to be in a top league, and the Premiership is the most watched league in the world so where better to advertise his abilities?

5) The Premiership might not be the most technical of leagues, but Greek defenders always seem to struggle with the Premiership tempo. If he gets used to the Premiership tempo he'll have a skill that eludes most other Premiership defenders.

If he doesn't go to Wigan he'll end up staying in Greece forever or moving to a mediocre German team somewhere down the line. These are key years for him and he has to go. It's best for him and for Greek football, and with the money AEK will get it's probably even good for the club too. [/b][/color]

Good points and I happen to agree. Additionally it should be noted that he would actually PLAY there. If he went to a bigger team, chances are he would not.

If AEk are to buy him, I think they definitely need to wait until after the Euro. But to maximize the sale of the player and benefit in the club, I think they should wait until next summer. One more year and added time to build the club into a well structured organization (if Donis can do that).

requires different skills from a team battling against imigration (Wigan), he'd get to know both.

I can't believe what I wrote here! :LOL: :LOL: That's what happens when you're writing an essay while posting on Phantis! :LOL:

At Dava-G: Theoretically you're right, but I just hope his chance doesn't pass him by. Like you said, he'll actually get to play at Wigan because Titus Bramble wouldn't get in to the Panionios defence. This could be a rare opportunity for him.

requires different skills from a team battling against imigration (Wigan), he'd get to know both.

I can't believe what I wrote here! :LOL: :LOL: That's what happens when you're writing an essay while posting on Phantis! :LOL:
I read that and thought I was missing something :LOL:

Archived