Phantis Forums

Real Madrid - Olympiakos

Montreal_Thrillos

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UEFA PREVIEW :

Madrid and Olympiacos prepared

Two clubs who suffered shock defeats in their opening Group F games will both be anxious to return to winning ways at the Santiago Bernabéu. Real Madrid CF, who conceded three first-half goals in their 3-0 defeat at Olympique Lyonnais, now welcome Olympiacos CFP, who went down 3-1 at home to Rosenborg BK in their first group match.

First away win: Though any visit to the Bernabéu stadium is a daunting prospect, Olympiacos will still be anxious to secure their first away win in the UEFA Champions League. In 25 previous games in the competition, the Greek side have lost 21, drawn four and conceded 62 goals.

Previous meetings: Madrid have an unbeaten record to protect against Olympiacos from their previous meetings in UEFA club competition. The clubs have twice been drawn together in the Champions League group stages, with the Spanish club winning both games at home and drawing twice in Greece.

First meeting: In their 1997/98 campaign, Madrid, the eventual winners, met Olympiacos in Group D. On Matchday 3, Madrid won 5-1 at home with two goals from Davor Šuker, and further goals from Fernando Morientes, Víctor and Roberto Carlos. Defender Nikos Dabizas had given Olympiacos a short-lived lead.

Madrid then managed a 0-0 away draw in the following round of matches to ensure qualification for the knockout stage, while Olympiacos finished in third place behind runners-up Rosenborg BK, who are also in this group.

Second meeting: Two seasons later, Madrid again faced Olympiacos, this time in the first group stage. In the opening Group E match, the teams fought out a 3-3 draw in Greece with Giovanni (2) and Zlatko Zahovic on the mark for the home side, and Sávio, Roberto Carlos and Raúl González scoring for Madrid.

Madrid then consolidated their group leadership with a 3-0 win at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium with Raúl and Roberto Carlos again on target, their goals sandwiched either side of a Morientes effort.

Athens draw: But after four straight wins in their opening four home games against Greek opposition in UEFA club competition and a goals tally of 16-1, Madrid were held on the last occasion that they faced a Greek club at home. In the first group stage of the 2002/03 Champions League, AEK Athens FC recovered for a 2-2 draw after Steve McManaman had scored twice for a 2-0 lead. AEK achieved the remarkable feat of drawing all six group games.

Poor record in Spain: This will be the tenth occasion that Olympiacos have played in Spain. Their previous visits have resulted in two draws and seven defeats. Draws were twice recorded at RC Deportivo La Coruña in Champions League group games – in 2001/02 when Olympiacos came away with a 2-2 draw and, on the last visit last season, when the game finished scoreless.

MILESTONES

Madrid's poor starts: Madrid started their tenth season of Champions League football with a heavy defeat at Lyon on Matchday 1. It was the same 3-0 scoreline as Madrid suffered on Matchday 1 last season at Bayer 04 Leverkusen.

End of Madrid run: Last season was their first defeat on Matchday 1 since 1995, a 1-0 loss at AFC Ajax, and ended an unbeaten run of five wins and two draws from seven 'opening night' games.

Madrid's record of success: Madrid are the most successful club in the history of the Champions League with three titles (1998, 2000, 2002) from nine campaigns, having previously won the European Champion Clubs' Cup on six occasions.

Raúl top scorer: Madrid captain Raúl is the all-time leading scorer in the competition with 49 goals.

Biggest win: Madrid's biggest win is 6-0 margin recorded at the Santiago Bernabéu against Belgian side KRC Genk on 25 September 2002. The heaviest loss came at FC Bayern München on 8 March 2000 when they lost 4-1 during the second group stage. Bayern had also scored four times in a 4-2 victory at the Bernabéu the previous week.

Scoreless draws: Madrid have drawn 0-0 only four times in the Champions League: against Olympiacos CFP on 5 November 1997, BV Borussia Dortmund on 15 April 1998, Manchester United FC on 4 April 2000 and FK Partizan on 4 November 2003. All were away fixtures except the result in Manchester.

Ninth season: This is the ninth Champions League season for Olympiacos, and only once, in 1998/99, have they progressed to the knockout stages.

No away wins: Olympiacos have failed to win any of their away games to date in the Champions League. In 25 games they have drawn four times and lost 21, with a goal difference of 15-62.

Rare away draws: The last time Olympiacos did avoided defeat on their travels in the competition was on Matchday 1 at RC Deportivo La Coruña last season when they drew 0-0. Prior to that, their previous point away from home came on 18 September 2001, when they drew 2-2, again at Deportivo.

Scoring streak: Olympiacos have scored once in each of their last six Champions League games.

Tis teleutaies meres merikes efhmerides exoun 3eshkwsei ton kosmo me dhlwseis oti kai kala o Olympiakos mporei kai na parei ba8mous kai diafora tetoia kai oti exei elpides gia champions leage. Bebaia oi efhmerides thn douleia tous kanoune kai na poylhsoun pseufikes elpides prospa8oun gia na konomhsoune kai na poulhsoune fylla.

Gia na sunel8oume ligo.

An faei ligotera apo 4/5 goal apo Real pali kala 8a einai. Na mhn exete elpides oute gi auto to paixnidi oute gia prokrish sthn deuterh fash Champion league. Kai to UEFA xa8hke sthn prwth agwnistikh me ta 3 apo Rosenborg.

Mono to prota8lhma kai to kypello emeine gia fetos, parteto xampari.

Kai mprabo ston Swkrath :tdown: pou ediw3e ton Zio pou einai o kalyteros paixths sto prwta8lhma Brazilias kai phre ton giganta ton Dani ton gkoltzh <_< . Megalyterh lalakia den exei ginei tetoia sthn istoria proedrou.

Monh elpida h Elladara mesa sthn Dania na kanei to diplo na mas trelanei. Konta einai kai h wra ftanei :gr: :gr: :gr:

Hate to agree with you geok were not near the level Real is even on their bad days I,ve said it before were gonna get killed in Madrid our defense is really weak in European standards.... :tdown:but I still think we got what it takes to continue to UEFA because I see Rosenborg getting rocked by Lyon and Madrid which hopefully we'll give us a boost in points down the line with a little luck :afro:

No matter they way Madrid is playing right now

we all know they have the best talented players in the world on one club so that means there is potential of some kind of an explosion

but i really don't see that happenning to us

my fear is defensively

i don't like our starting defensive line

Kapsis is really the only guy i trust

but the one thing is Sollied will have us prepared

and Rivaldo is the key

i mean seeing his most hated opponent in the past could inspire him to better play

i mean its really hard to say wut will happen here

will the real relal madrid show up or not

will Olympiakos show up or not ????

i have a quick question about teh past

when we played Real madrid one year away we lost 5-1 but we were up 1-0 early

when did the infamous hand ball by Roberto Carlos not called

was it when we had a 1-0 lead

tied losing wut is it ??

i think Markus Merk is the ref for htis game by the way

he was the ref in charge of that game and was also incharge of the Greek Portugal final

ok here is the truth...on olympiacos best day and on real's worst day..MAYBE ad i mean maybe there is a chance for a tie....lets hope thats what happens tomorrow...

because i hate to say it, if the real REAL shows up on wednesday....close the lights, its last call and hand the ball over to the ref....

i hope not though...greek teams need points in europe..lets do it guys...FORZA PAO, FORZA OLYM and FORZA HELLAS

No away wins: Olympiacos have failed to win any of their away games to date in the Champions League. In 25 games they have drawn four times and lost 21, with a goal difference of 15-62.

That is the most damning and disappointing statistic of all. That represents an avarage score of over 4-1 in every away game! I cannot see any change to this pattern although I hope I am wrong (even though Ronaldo is not playing).

as much as i would like it for oly to beat those arrogent sh its i dont believe it will happen....robinho will put on a clinic against olys defense...i saw him play in his first two games for real and he was magic...

that is oly main problem. who will mark him?

georgatos :whistle: :la:

bulut :LOL: :LOL:

i don't really think that we will win. i have got so used to it, that we lose nearly every match away, that i don't think we have any chance to win this one :tdown: . but i still hope. and that for i hope we get at least a draw. i'll say the match will end in a 2-2. :D

I'm afraid that the best we can hope is to avoid total humiliation. Anything better than 3-0 would be acceptable for me.

It isn't that Real is unbeatable (they aren't and their defense is weak as always). But our players lack the guts to fight even for a tie. I expect a better performance than that against Rosenborg (and not only from Rivaldo) but, on the other side, Real isn't a bunch of Norwegian ksilokopoi.

Fellow gavroi, I wonder where we will find places to hide ourselves tomorrow :D

It shows what kind of m alakes PAO fans are, and proves once and for all that there is no soccer intelligence in your puny brains whatsoever(pittman,slick13,xxx-18t,pao123). XXX-18T(6-1) what kind of koutamara is this. I thought you were smarter than that man, and the whole lot of you, ti anoitoi eisaste re paidia. Don't worry, we'll show our stuff tomorrow at the Bernabeu, and will come out at least with a tie, if not the win. ;)

WHAT WE SHOULD AIM FOR/TRY TO GET

Match 1 Rosenborg (H) 0 points

Match 2 Real (A) 0 points (1??)

Match 3 Lyon (H) 3 points a must

Match 4 Lyon (A) 1 point opwsdipote

Match 5 Real (H) 1 point hopefully

Match 6 Rosenborg (A) 3 points (ANTE PROTH NIKH EKTOS STIN ISTORIA)

This still would add upto 8 points which is pretty low but if we r lucky we could do it..... lets hope.... ;)

alex, there is no way you will get 4 points of lyon..,mark my words..u play them back to back right after you play real...1 point off the 2 games maybe..but honestly with ur losing ur game to rosenbourg i dont see anything better then a uefa spot..

makari na kanw lathos...

just like i dont see pao gettin a point against barca....BUT we must win our last two games and hope for 2 ties from udinese against werder or even only one tie for udinese and a loss...if that happens we might have a chance..

later peeps

to be realistic your right we are probably fighting for a uefa cup spot

but were still mathematically in this and we have to some how get at least a point tomorrow

but it all starts with Olympiakos being mentally and physically prepared

do not get in awe of the name real madrid

we need to just play i just hope we can do it

Rivaldo said we are a good team and everybody will see that tomorrow

i mean it gives u a reason to believe

Ribbo please find our old form

Archived