Phantis Forums

Karageorgiou gone

Ziaka

What are your thoughts on this Ziaka? Is the problem with the coach or players? I would say both. If it was me, I wouldn't axe the coach at this point. There's lots of new players on the team, and it takes some time to straighten things out. Karageourgiou showed some promise last year, he needs a bit more time.

We need to be patient, but based on PAOK's coaching track record (and the rest of the greek league for that matter) Karageorgiou is gone.

What are your thoughts on this Ziaka? Is the problem with the coach or players? I would say both. If it was me, I wouldn't axe the coach at this point. There's lots of new players on the team, and it takes some time to straighten things out. Karageourgiou showed some promise last year, he needs a bit more time.

We need to be patient, but based on PAOK's coaching track record (and the rest of the greek league for that matter) Karageorgiou is gone.

are u suprised

this is soccer and this is the Greek league

if in doubt blame and fire the coach

these constant changes at the helm are getting ridicolus to say the least

every team does this

why doesn't the president take full responsibility for the players he signs

hopefully Paok can put a positive result in Ukraine away

Maybe Bajevic will return :o , but in all fairness, all of the greek Teams are not ready for Europe in September. Only 2 games in their championship. Last year we lost to Albania. Again we were not ready. Greek teams have a tendency to bring back old coaches. Look at PAO, how many times have they brought back Sergio Makarian. Every time he comes back he make a contender of PAO. I don't know about the rest of you, but I was a fan of Bajevic and Anastasiadis. Anastasiadis had that boiling blood and fire!!! These guys need some fire on them, summer holidays are over!!!

Even the commentator was saying that it is the coach's defensive tactics (after scoring a goal) that cost them their recent games. Others have said that the Greek style is score once and then build a wall and true to form Paok did it and paid a heavy price. Their pace was off and they don't have the type of players that can turn it back on. Sad as I had hopes they would get a win at home.

Karageorgiou resigned today after meeting with Goumenos. At least that's what was announced on the official PAOK web site. There is no question in my mind that he was asked to step down.

Kostikos and Michailidis will coach the team on Monday against Iraklis. New coach will be announced next week. reports from the PAOK camp say that the new coach will be from Western Europe (Germany, Austria, Holland), and that there is no chance that Bajevic or Anastasiadis will come back to PAOK.

I am also a fan of Aggelos, but at the present circumstances there is no way he can come back. As for bajevic, he is a good coach in my opinion, but he carries a lot of baggage with him. It was mainly his stint with PAOK that created the large debt during the batatoudis years.

To answer Nikolaos, I don't whose fault it is, but Karageorgiou had all summer to work with the team, but he could not come up with a sytem for the team. In the last 3 official games he played three different systems. Also I think that he tried to accomodate some favourite players of his by playing them despite the fact that they were out of form. I am talking about Maladenis, Feutchine and Tochoroglou here. At the same time he was sitting players like Iliadis, Shikabala on the bench.

Having said that I also believe that certain players have created a clique among themselves, which Karageorgiou was not able or willing to address.

Well he is not coming to PAOK, but I heard that there was a meeting between him and PAE PAO officials few days ago.

BTW I though he was going to Dubai or Qatar or some place like that. I don't think he is at Red Star right now.

I don't think he signed with anyone, he did have an offer to coach the NT of Qatar, but that was rejected.

As far as sacking Karageorgiou, I might not know exactly what was going on within the club but this is highly unfortunate and will most likely doom PAOK for the remainder of the season. Kara did a fabulous job last year, new faces came along and naturally some time will be involved. Wrong tactics ? Did they not get a sense of what he wanted to see on the pitch last season ? Those are excuses that accomadate poor performances, and unfortunatl;y in Greece, it's the head coach that visits the Guillotine.

:tdown:

Things not looking good for ANYONE right now.

Why does Sika and Iliadis sit the bench so often? They have proven themselves.

Why couldn't we find a single system to play with? We were the first team to start training back in June.

Why is it everytime we score in the first half and try and defend in the second, we cop 1 or 2 goals for sure? Udeze, Karypidis, Fatih are some of the best defenders in the Greek league.

Karageorgiou made too many mistakes as a coach and cannot make a UEFA or title contending team even though we have some of the best talent in years.

The next person that comes and takes PAOK should be a big name... like the newly terminated coach of Leverkusan.

If we are going to have old PAOK coaches coming back to coach our team, I would prefer Aggelos.

Bajevic had some success with PAOK, but during his tenure the biggest debt was accumulated by PAE PAOK.

Depending on who you listen to PAOK is either not considering Bajevic or they have allready asked him and he turned them down. In either case Bajevic is not coming back to PAOK at this time. Same thing for Aggelos.

Not only Hliadis and Sica but also Balafas. Every game he used him he played excellent, it doesn't matter that he is only 19 years old.

We in Greece have the wrong mentality and we consider a player experienced when they get older. Experience comes on the field by playing not by sitting on the bench until you are 25.

Shoum is not even in the running from what I hear. PAE PAOK had a list of 80 available coaches that they are examining. They have made it clear that the new coach that willbe announced sometimes next week will come from central-western Europe (Germany, Holland, Austia ...)

Additionaly it is widely assumed that Goumenos and co. started looking for a new coach even before yesterday's game.

Reports are that they narowed down the field to two Western European coaches, and it will not be suprising if an announcement comes during this weekend.

I guess it's official. Lothar Mattheus is our new head coach.

In the past he has coached Rapid Vienna and Partizan Belgrade. His most recent coaching job was the national team of Hungary, but apparently he was not like much there.

Archived