Phantis Forums

A young American at THRYLOS

evalagoal

Just read this.....

This was posted on the 4th of July...

Philipakos contract option exercised

Chad Winger

Yanks-Abroad.com

Olympiakos has picked up the first of two extension options on the contract of American midfield phenom Peter Philipakos, a move that will see the New York native remain at the club through at least 2007.

"Olympiakos has renewed Peter's contract for another 2 years," co-agent and brother Ted Philipakos confirmed to YA on Monday. "A renewal was necessary because the contract he signed with Olympiakos contains options after the first and third years."

The news will come as a confidence boost to the 22 year old as Dusan Bajevic, who originally signed the ex-American University standout in 2004 while at AEK Athens, resigned on June 1st.

Philipakos will now hope to impress new boss Trond Sollied who led Club Brugge to last season's title in Belgium. The Norwegian has replaced Bajevic at the helm of O Thrylos after claiming two championships in a four-year reign at the Jupiler League side.

Debuting for the first team during a January 19th Greek Cup contest against Iraklis, Philipakos would go on to make three appearances for the domestic doublers.

He also dressed for three UEFA Cup matches against Sochaux and Newcastle United, seeing his first European action against the Magpies in the second leg at St. James' Park.

As winners of the National League, Olympiakos will enter this fall's edition of the Champions League in the group stage.

Philipakos will report back to Olympiakos on July 9th for routine medical testing with the full opening of preseason training two days later.

The Young Yank will also get a chance to test his mettle against Claudio Reyna and Manchester City in a preseason away friendly set for August 6th.

This is something that's going to depend on his parents, performance, and more importantly team politics....

As We All Know!! (Sad to say)

can we all see if he can actually play soccer

he has done nuttin so far to even deserve this discussion

let him attempt to perform first and then we will see

can we all see if he can actually play soccer

he has done nuttin so far to even deserve this discussion

let him attempt to perform first and then we will see

I agree with you Olympiakos11.

Can he play or was he signed as novelty value because he is an American Omogeneis who was cheap?

Do the US national team/s want him or asking about his progress?

Is he, or does he have the potential to be better than DaMarcus Beazely or Landon Donovan?

Will he ever force his way into the Olympiako side?

I have seen this time and again with the Greek-Australians (or Australians in general) who leave the Australian league and go to Greece with big wraps and speculation and then just fade away. Here are just a few that come to mind, I wonder if Philipakos will suffer the same fate:

Ante Covic (GK)- Paok

Alvin Ceccoli (Def) - AEK

Travis Dodd (Mid) - Panionios

Andrew Vlahos (Mid/For)- Pao

Con Boutsianis (Mid/For) - Pao

Steve Refenes (Mid/For) - Pao?

Kostas Salapasidis (For) - Akratitos? <--- Scored all 4 goals against Argentina in a WYC match. Huge Potential but has done very little since injuries etc

Jason Pollak (Mid) - Pao

i dont want to offend anyone, but i'd say that it is very difficult for a player coming from leagues and teams from australia and the usa to greece. these leagues are even weaker than the greek one and a player who wants to play here must be very good. sure, there are some players in better leagues than the greek, but they are bought by better european teams right away. i'd say a player a greek team can afford getting from australia or america isnt much better than a young greek talent signed from a mediocre team.

filippakos seems to have become a bit bigheaded since the good critics he got for the few matches/minutes he played. and to be honest i dont want characters like that in our team, who think they made it after one good match. if he would have the right mentality he would be working even harder now, to secure a spot in the team. but like oly11 said, he hasntshown anything so far yet.

i dont want to offend anyone, but i'd say that it is very difficult for a player coming from leagues and teams from australia and the usa to greece. these leagues are even weaker than the greek one and a player who wants to play here must be very good. sure, there are some players in better leagues than the greek, but they are bought by better european teams right away. i'd say a player a greek team can afford getting from australia or america isnt much better than a young greek talent signed from a mediocre team.

filippakos seems to have become a bit bigheaded since the good critics he got for the few matches/minutes he played. and to be honest i dont want characters like that in our team, who think they made it after one good match. if he would have the right mentality he would be working even harder now, to secure a spot in the team. but like oly11 said, he hasntshown anything so far yet.

each new player we sign means the end for Philipakos

i don't really see him playing at all this season for the most part

we have already signed 3 other players near his age which have shown more promise at this point

if i were Olympiakos i would try to loan Philipakos to some team in the Greek league

he will at least have the opportunity to play on the first 11 and Olympiakos can get a better understanding if he is truly Olympiakos bound

Didn't Filipakos said no to a call in the U-21 Greek National team because he wanted to wait to be called to play for the USA Naional team... and when Kokalis found out he told him you will either join the Greek U-21 Greek National team or you are out of here... :tup:

I think he is going to be given on loan to a lesser club to get more play time.

By the way I think he is good for something in the right side. I saw him play for one half with Bajevich and he did very good.

...and when Kokalis found out he told him you will either join the Greek U-21 Greek National team or you are out of here...

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the critics in the papers said the same. but i think he isnt ready to take over the right side yet. he has to work a lot untill he will be able to. but i think since giannakopoulos left we (gavroi) have very big expectations of the next player who will fill that gap.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

the critics in the papers said the same. but i think he isnt ready to take over the right side yet. he has to work a lot untill he will be able to. but i think since giannakopoulos left we (gavroi) have very big expectations of the next player who will fill that gap.

but nobody has filled that side as of yet

Georgadis was suppose to do so and we all know wut happenned

• 1 month later...

i played vs this guy when he layed at his club team in li...if he can pla for oly then i can play for real madrid becuase the kid was good, but not that good...he played for st jonhs then later for american...i think we already had this conversation didnt we??

Archived