Phantis Forums

Greek Cup - new Look

Ziaka

EPO has decided to change the structure of the Greek Cup for the next two seasons.

Here is how it will be played:

ROUND 1:

The 32 team from C' Division will be drawn to play 16 games. The winners of the game qualify to Round 2. There will not be dual (home/away) matches, only a single games. The home team will be decided by a draw. If the game is tied after 90 minutes, extra time is played, and if it is still tied, the game is decided on penalties.

ROUND 2:

The 16 teams from B' division will play the 16 team winners from Round 1. Once again only single games will be played. The winning teams from Round 1 will be designated as the home team. If the game is tied after 90 minutes, extra time is played, and if it is still tied, the game is decided on penalties.

ROUND 3:

The 16 teams from A' division will play the winners from Round 2. Once again only single games will be played. The winning teams from Round 2 will be designated as the home team. If the game is tied after 90 minutes, extra time is played, and if it is still tied, the game is decided on penalties.

ROUND 4:

The Round 3 winners are drawn into 8 pairs. Once again only single games will be played. The home team will be decided by a draw. If the game ends in a tie, then there will be a rematch. In this case the away team from first game will be the home team in the second game. If the teams are still tied after the conclusion of both games, extra time is played. If after the extra time there is no decision, penalties decide the winner.

QUARTERFINALS

The winners of Round 4 play home/away games to decide the teams that qualify to semifinals.

SEMIFINALS

The winners for quartefinals play home/away games to decide the two finalists.

FINALS

Single game in a venue decided by EPO will decide the Greek Cup winner.

I am not sure what you mean by amateur teams. If you mean the D' Division teams, they don't take part in the Greek Cup. I believe there is a separate cup competition for those teams.

I am not sure what you mean by amateur teams. If you mean the D' Division teams, they don't take part in the Greek Cup. I believe there is a separate cup competition for those teams.

yes I did mean the D division teams

Yeah!... They keep changing things. Why the heck can't they keep the same rules for at least two year's in a row. Now I gotta change the cup section for next season. I hate EPO!.... :*&%: :evil: :*&%:

No!!!! why arnet the greek teams of D'Division allowed to qualify??? they should be awarded say 5 teams or something like that, every team should get a chance to lift the cup, and besides, everyone loves the underdog of all underdogs...

In england, EXETER drew with Man U at old trafford, they are from the conference, possibly the best match of the season...

Everyone loves underdogs, throw em' all in!!!

Well I think if they added the D' Division teams, the competition would never end. There is close to 160 D' Division teams out there. Add to that the 64 A, B and C division teams and we would need three season to complete the competition.

I like this new format, much more similar to the English FA Cup and the Copa del Rey of Spain. Only things I'd consider change are:

Always having the 'weaker' (lower division/ranking) having home field advantage (as in Spain).

With the exception of the semi-finals all games are single elimination (1 and done as it's sometimes called in the USA).

With the D Divison being as it is, I'd allow the 10 group winners to qualify into the 1st round automatically. The 2nd place teams of each group could have a 1 game playoff and those tie winners could also get into the 1st round (pretty much like the Euro 2004 Qualifing was). Obviously the first round would have to be expanded. Whatever competition for the D league teams could still be around, with the D Division temas being able to play in both competitions.

That's all I can think of right now. Any word on the 'other' Cup Competition being reformed next year (the "Ling Cup" :unsure: )? Finally, obviously it wouldn't be that case this year with OSFP pulling the double, but does Greece have a 'Super Cup' game before the start of this year as in UEFA and some other countries (League Champion plays against the Cup tournmanent winners)?

• 2 weeks later...

I actually think the latter stages of the competition should also be one game instead of two. That would create more and mere surprises... Anyway, the cup may get rid of the AEK, PAO, Thrynos domination, who knows?

• 7 months later...

Looks like after investigating Division Two I have more questions about Greek competitions :)

The Cup format is designated for 16 teams from B Division, but there will be 18 from next year on. I understand in 2006/2007 the seedings from 2005/2006 can be used, but the format will have to be changed in future.

Do you have any idea how EPAE (this is FA, is it not?) will cope with 18 teams from B Division in 2006/2007 Cup?

Archived