Phantis Forums

WCq: GREECE - Ukraine

Ziaka

Last I heard that he would be okay for the Ukraine game. But I just read the update on epo.gr and it looks like he is still in therapy. There is no mention of him not being able to play so hopefully he will recover by then.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a reversal for Turkey having pressure but now it's on us to beat Ukraine. I also think we must win to keep a nice cushion for the finish line. A tie will not be thrilling and we'll need other teams to help us through to WC06.

We certainly have defensive depth so Dellas not being there doesn't concern me. We need some more fire power up front to somewhat balance things out.

Our team needs to create plays to fire that ball at the goal more often and not only to have Karagounis's strength for that.

I hope Giourkas picks his game up cause with Turkey he was quite shaky.

prediction, 2 GR 1 UKR

:gr:

Relax, everybody!!! Greece has more favorable schedule than Turkey and that is why we will get second place, even if we are tied with Turkey after Wednesday.

Ukraine has a more favorable schedule than Greece so i dont think we will get first place.

We need luck, thus I will return to my old prediction format.

'12 GRE Vryzas

'82 UKR Shevchenko

'90 GRE Giannakopoulos

W-Nikopolidis

L-Shovkovskiy

We come out hungry and Giannakopoulos crosses and find vryzas who puts it home, 1-0 to us. They hunger remains as Shevchenko is well accounted for. Then we start to get lazy. Shevchenko gets chance but Nikopolidis just forces a corner which comes to nothing. After the clearance, the ball is played at midfield by Ukraine and the ball winds up in Sheva's possesion again. Our D gets schooled as he makes his to the box. he shoots gets robbed by Nikopolids but Shevchenko gets in a quick rebound and this time he scores. Ukraine reach the final minute tied. Lakis comes in for a tired Vryzas. Lakis looks good closing in Shovkovskiy, tries a long shot that is stopped. The clearing attempt fails, though as Kafes gets to it he finds Charisteas who is taken down near the box. Giannakopoulos's free kick is solid gold beating Shovkovskiy high. We win a tough one, 2-1 at Karaiskaki.

for starters all of u complaining about Nikopolidis jon the goals he has given up

go straight to hell

don't forget how many goals he saved from going into the Net

he is our goalkeeper whether we win or not

now lets focus on Ukraine

lets not think about who Ukraine will lose points too

if we don't get a win in this game it will do 2 things

it will basically give Ukraine a spot into the world cup

which then Puts Greeece in a fight for second here

whether we are tied of Turkey or a point behind is depended on the result

Ukraine from wut i hear normally plays 4-3-3 but since they will be away

they can either go 3-5-2 or 4-4-2

Ukraine also rested many of there starters on Saturday which means they will be well rested and fresh but again the game is in Greece the Greek players will feed off the energy the crowd will provide.

Kastoranis as we all know is out

tough loss

does anybody know who will be his replacement ???

are we going to go into a 3-5-2

the main objective is to win if we do our part and countinue our winning ways then everything will fall into place

our winning streak of 4 consecutive games is gone so lets start a new one starting with Ukraine

Lets go and win !!!!!!!!!!!

for starters all of u complaining about Nikopolidis jon the goals he has given up

go straight to hell

Oly11, relax and chill..be nice and don't tell us to go straight to hell because some of us criticized Adoni for a couple of weak fumbles/goalkeeping in previous matches. Don't bring the past back again.

In the Turkey match, Adoni played great and was in very good form and hopefully he continues it.

Things are quite simple

If we want to go to Germany... If we want to have the strength to overcome the test of a possible playoff to get there... and if we want to show that our second place is a hickup...

WE MUST have this game locked and won and over with ...

The good thing is that Teo is returning... Otto is spending more time with the players and will do all June... The game in Turkey showed they still CAN control their fate in a tough game

Now all they have to do is show class once more and go for the kill

Ela re Elladara! :gr:

Just once I'd like to see us come out all guns blazing and annihilate the opposition.

Like 4 or 5 to nil. Let's get the world talking about how worthy Euro champions we are!

I could care less about all the detractors and the so-called footballing experts criticising us about our so called defensiveness or anti-football.

These people were the very same that were laughing when we were losing 7-1 to Denmark during the qualifying rounds for Euro 88. Does anyone remember this result?

Or the 5 nil against England weeks before the 94 WC or the 4 - 2 Loss to the boring Germans for the 2002 WC or the friendly 4 nil to the Dutch just before the last Euro champions.

I could go on, point is: a 1 - 0 win over Ukraine is better than 0 - 3 loss to them, but I want to see us skisi them with entertaining football

Akritis,

Those were the dark days of Greek football. I remember watching the 7-1 thrashing Denmark gave us....in the first 10 minutes i went to make a caffethaki and come back and the score was already 3-0. The team had big ego problems then and the coach was a big muppa head smoking cigarattes on the bench.

Also back then Panathinaikos were the hot team in Greece...Saravakos was the Charisteas of today.

I also hope Greece give Ukraine a touch up, this is a perfect time, it's in Greece, we can learn a bit from the Turkey match and not put on subs too late and also mentally we need this win as Ukraine are under no pressure as they have a big lead on the points table....we should capitalise on this and score a couple of volithes.

Has any one seen how Ukraine play, is it full attack and pressure all day or will we see a passing and flowing game from them.

WE MUST have this game locked and won and over with ...

The good thing is that Teo is returning... Otto is spending more time with the players and will do all June... The game in Turkey showed they still CAN control their fate in a tough game

I agree with you 100%

Ukraine will win 0-2 :)

hate to nreak it to you guys but we are stronger than you are

the fact that you won euro means nothing

now on the brighter note

does anyone know where i can watch it online (or in a pub in Brissy) ?

Who is stronger??? :o Ukraine? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cmon get serious... There is only one good Ukrainian player (shevchenko) but nothing more than that.... Greece has better players, better coach and a more winning mentality....

Of course if we play bad we will loose but it all depends upon Greece's performance..... ;)

Who is stronger??? :o Ukraine? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Cmon get serious... There is only one good Ukrainian player (shevchenko) but nothing more than that.... Greece has better players, better coach and a more winning mentality....

Of course if we play bad we will loose but it all depends upon Greece's performance..... ;)

one starts wondering how come greece isn't top of the group :P :tdown:

anyway anyone knows where to watch it?:)

Ukraine will win 0-2 :)

hate to nreak it to you guys but we are stronger than you are

the fact that you won euro means nothing

now on the brighter note

does anyone know where i can watch it online (or in a pub in Brissy) ?

if Ukraine was so strong and powerfull as u are trying to tell us

why didn't they beat us in Ukraine

do remember your goal was a fluke goal b/c of just bad weather condition

our goal was as classic as u get with the golden boot of Tsiartas

remember the last time Ukraine came to Greece they had a chance to end our qualifying dreams and instead we beat them 1-0 and took over the top spot in the group

Ukraine has had it easy with alot of comfortable wins and deservedly so being 5 points ahead of us

but the qualifying round isn't over yet

lets see how Ukraine deals with The Greek supporters a little pressure for a change

and if they lose to Greece that will only add more pressure

we all know Greece can handle pressure with our Euro win

can Ukraine do the same

Ellas for the win !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My prefered lineup (4-3-1-2):

GK: Nikopolidis

Defense (Left to Right): Fyssas, Goumas (Sub/Alternate: Kapsis):, Kyraigos, Seiteridis

Midfield: Zagorakis, Basinas (Sub/Alternate: Tsartas, could also sub/alternate for Karagounis), Stelios

Attacking Mid/Withdrawn Forward: Karagounis

Forwards: Vryzas (Sub/Alternate Gekkas), Charisteas

Your thoughts....???

I think we will see Basinas as sweeper and Zagorakis in place of Basinas in the mid. Other than that I expect to see the same lineup as the one vs.Turkey

Who is stronger??? :o  Ukraine? :LOL:  :LOL:  :LOL:

one starts wondering how come greece isn't top of the group :P :tdown:

anyway anyone knows where to watch it?:)

You can watch it...in your dreams...only there will Ukraine win...

I am a passionate football enthusiast and a die-hard supporter of our ethniki, but I strongly disagree with the criticism of Ukraine. After last summer's tourney everyone, especially the Greeks, should know that this game is never about one player. Sheva is arguably among the world's best but he is not alone. Gusin, Fedorov, and Voronin are just a few names among a collection of quality players who have been successful only because they play well as a unit. And what is this talk of the Ukranians getting easy results, or their lack of experience with pressure? Ukraine has to play the same teams as we do, and until now they have preformed better. As far as pressure goes, I agree that the Greeks have the upper hand in this because of the events of the last three years, but Ukraine's 3-0 victory in Turkey is a fine way to respond to pressure. Regardless, if Otto loosens his restrictions upon our midfield I can see no reason why Greece should not secure all three points on Wednesday.

:gr:

Ukraine is average at best. Credit to them for being in the position they are in at the moment. I think it's only temporary. They aren't a world power. They couldn't beat Slovenia for the last world cup for the playoff.

We beat them 1 nil last time we played at home, this time we should beat them more comfortably and reduce their lead to 2 points and then we will let them fight out second with the Turks.

chameleon65 yeah more firepower up front... Haristeas doesn't run up, dribble, keep possesion and score. The mids feed him and he finds the space... Vryzas is an unselfish player and can set things up. But we could use somebody with different skills every so often, not necessarily to start but to bring in the last 20 minutes or so. Amanatidis might play on wed. but if he does decide to play him, i think it should be for at least 15 min.What do you guys think of Papadopoulos playing? Also Tsartas... at any rate more attack this time around and I think we'll be fine. Somehow I don't see Ukraine scoring. They don't impress me.

Clover22,

I agree with you on Charisteas. He is not one to dribble the ball and create a scoring opportunity out of nothing. With him you set him up, feed him the ball and he finishes.

That is why I think Amantidis needs to come in. I hope he will be okay for the Ukraine game.

Guest GreekSoussou

I would take Charisteas over Armanditis in a heart beat. Charisteas is the catalyst on offense. You can not replace a guy like that. He had two of the three biggest goals in club history :gr:

Archived