Phantis Forums

Chicago Cubs :The Greek Curse

Olympiakosthyra7

Did you guys ever hear about the curse the a greek put on the Cubs?

If you didnt then listen to this.

In the 1940's a Greek would always bring his goat to the Chicago Cubs game when he went. Then the people who worked there said that he could not bring his goat anymore. then he said since you wont let me bring my goat to the game the Cubs will never win a world series again.

So far 60+ years have passed and the Cubs still havent won the world series.

God Bless the Greeks!(us)

Edited by Olympiakosboy

Guest Protathlitis

I remember that story from last years playoffs with that kid who took the ballout of that guys glove and everything i didnt know he was greek but hehehe.

• 4 weeks later...

The curse that the greek placed on the Cubs is about a goat, but the person who placed on them was a greek who owned a dinner next to Wrigley field and he would let his goat loose to go and graze on the outfield, When the officials did not allow him anymore he cursed them. It was much earlier than 1940's it was early 1900's. Two years ago a relative of that man, held a ceremony, in which he cooked a goat on a spit in order to brake the curse..It DID not WORK, the Cubbies have not won as of yet...and now they hold the distinction .

Here are couple links explainig the curse:

The Curse of the Billy Goat

Da Curse of the Billy Goat Timeline

Of course down the road, the Sianis family opened the famous Billy Goat Tavern in downtown Chicago, which was later made famous by John Belushi, Dan Akroyd and the Saturday Night Live TV show with "cheezburgr, cheezburger, no Coke, Pepsi" line. Later on Sam sianis opened additional Billy Goat Taverns. The latest one that was opened is the one at the Chicago O'Hare Airport, so if you have a stop over at Chicago you can taste the famous "cheezburgerz".

• 2 weeks later...

As far as I know John Belushi was Albanian. That's what I have always heard. But his predecessors must have been from the North Epirus region of Albania, since he was also Orthodox. He is actually burried in the predominately Greek cemetery in Elmwood Park, Illinois just few grave sites away from my father in laws grave.

• 11 years later...

I would have Cubs as the favorites to win the World Series, but Cleveland has been playing some excellent baseball in the playoffs. Should be a good series.

But let's not forget the Bill Sianis curse ...  :afraid-028547:

• 2 weeks later...

Congrats to the Cubs for winning an epic game 7!

Theo Epstein will go down as the greatest GM of all time for breaking this 108 year drought and the Red Sox 86 year drought back in 2004. The guy is a baseball genius, he set up the Cubs nicely for the next 6 or 7 seasons, and not to mention he drafted the core of the current Boston Red Sox before he left.