Phantis Forums

Stelios Giannakopoulos (Hull City)

Ziaka

Another goal for the liittle man - plus he was around the other 2 - UEFA Cup for Bolton - he was such a big part (along with Hiero ) of their surge in the spring

Bravo re Stelio - the best Greek player! ??? What do you think?

definately our best set-piece player.

Well his goal wasnt enough to finish in top 5, but Stelios will be back in Europe nevertheless, and all in all i was a great season for him.

CONGRATULATIONS STELIOS GIANNAKOPOULOS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU DE MAN!!!!!

:tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has been a big surprise for me. I've seen some of his games, and he has been a big part of Bolton's game. The tactic of Sam Allardyce goes great for him and that's a big reason why he has score so much.

Mpravo re Stelio!!! :gr:

He will only be back playing in the Champions League if UEFA make a modification to their current rules. Currently, England have only 4 CL spots -- they belong to Chelsea, Arsenal, Man U and Everton. Despite winning the CL, Liverpool is presently slotted to play in the UEFA Cup, along with Bolton. We'll see what happens.

I dont understand why Liverpool cant progress, the rules clearly state:

If a team from a country which is allowed four teams to progress to the CL (England, Spain, Italy currently) wins the champions league and does not qualify via there league they will automatically qualify for the CL and the fourth placed club will go to UEFA. Pure and simple, UEFA had this figured a long time ago, its England who are blowing this out of proportion.

I agree. Everton should be going to the UEFA Cup and Liverpool should be in the Champions League. That happens all the time in domestic leagues - look at Aris going to the UEFA Cup next year.

Perhaps the English FA thought that if Liverpool did win the CL, then they could make an emotional plea to UEFA to get 5 times in next year.

Liverpool won't be good for him, do you actually think he'll start ahead of Jon Arne Riise, no way and he's fit in very nicely at Bolton i expect big Sam to reject the bid. he's an important player for Bolton now he should not go and restart at another club

UEFA made those rules but left it to the English FA to decide and they decided to give it to Everton. 5 English teams????? which country do you take a place away from to give England a 5th spot.

I saw that the Welsh Champions TSN have made a proposal that they play Lieverpool in a sinlge match at their grounds for the right to take TSN's spot in the Qualifying Round of the Champions League. I do not see this as being likely. In either case, the UEFA governing board is set to meet in Manchester on June 17 to decide the issue.

I know, but the G-14 may pressure them into doing so. As for Stelios, I think he would be well-served to stay at Bolton. The team had a good season and made it to Europe for the first time in their history. And Stelios, despite an indifferent start and lack of regular playing time at the beginning of the season, finished strong and is now a mainstay in the starting 11. He finished tied for second for the team lead with 8 goals scored and will likely have an even better year next year, as will Bolton. Plus his play for the NT has been improved as well. I would hate to see him go to Liverpool and see as much playing time as Karagounis has seen for Inter.

The whole situation surrounding Liverpool on being out of the C.L. this coming season is a joke.

The Holders should return to defend there title

but in the same case England should not be given a 5th spot

The FA of England should either take that spot away from Everton

or at least make the two teams fight for the spot

it should be either a one game playoff

or two legs make the two teams fight it out

i want to see Giannakopoulos in Liverpool red but thats only if he is promised or given the opporutnity to compete for a spot

I think those exact words have been said before by many managers. We all know however that money talks. And besides, will Stelios be all that happy in the final year of his contract knowing that his manager stiffed him out of a move to Anfield?

• 4 weeks later...

The offer is for one million euro's and will cover two seasons. Much around the Greek media has this as a done deal, simply awaiting the spanish coach to return from vacation the middle of this week.

"my boy, bolton is to small for you"

:tup:

Stelios is to make an annual pay of 1 million pound

thats great for him

i think he will be getting alot of playing time

b/c of Liverpool's many competitions

they start in the 1st round of qualification of C.L.

The FA CUP

Carling CUP

and oh yeah the Primiership

anywayz good luck Giannakopoulos

welcome back to C.L.

Hey we should hold off on the congratulations to Stelio.....His manager reported today that he is a major asset, he is not for sale, and he plans to improve his deal this summer........Liverpoolfc.tv

The Wanderers boss says he is not aware of any interest from Anfield in the 30-year-old winger, despite strong rumours in the Greek media that Reds boss Rafa Benitez is lining up a 1 million bid.

But he confirmed that Stelios is on a list of players he regards as "valuable assets" and whose current Reebok contracts are under review.

"I'm not sure what Liverpool are doing, but they seem to be linked with everybody at the moment," Allardyce said.

Wanderers chairman, Phil Gartside, has already issued a "hands off" warning to Liverpool, insisting Stelios is under contract and not for sale, even though the player's representatives have suggested they may be in a position to trigger a get-out clause in his three-year contract.

Now Allardyce has gone further, revealing that Stelios is one of five players he is hoping to tie up on improved deals this summer.

• 2 weeks later...

A disappointed Sam Allardyce is preparing for the new season with the knowledge that it is likely to be the last with the Wanderers for Greek winger Stelios Giannakopoulos.

After having offered a new contract to the player, Bolton were hoping to secure the future of the Greek international with suggestions that Liverpool are tracking the much improved wide man.

However Bolton manager Allardyce has confirmed that Stelios has rejected the new contract, but insists he will not sell the player and believes he will just have to make the best of the situation

Archived