Phantis Forums

AEK - Saint-Etienne

Dikefale11

AEK seem to be doing well. Still time to pull it back.

Question, is your squad so thin that the minute you lose a DM you draft a CB in his place? i think this guy has been the weak link.

Our team has the habit of breaking contracts and letting players go for free, without having a back-up and so we have to resort to playing our weakest CB as a midfielder. We let go of Anakoglou AND Cordero for this mess. Anakoglou I understand, but Cordero was the most ridiculous decision ever. 

And that's the game. Disapppointing way to go out considering we got a good result away from home but bombed it at home. Shame we couldn't score at home.

I can't fault the players they tried and tried time after time. The turning point was Barbosa header, he scores we come out a different team 2nd half and more than likely get a 2nd.

Ketsbaia made panic subs and leaving Lambro on was a big mistake he gave us nothing at all.

Do we really miss Johanssen that much?

Now to focus on the league.

Didnt even get to celebrate a goal ffs!

Poor decision starting Lambropoulos at CM, i would gave put Mandalos there with Bakasetas in his place, Almeida up front.

Aswell as taking our 2 of our most creative players in Babosa and Vargas, still cant understand how That header didnt go in!

Unlucky to lose out best player at the last minute, and also for getting a difficult opponent so early, the result of being out of Europe for so long.

Dissapointing that we could not see the gaping pothole in our midfield depth, we need to get a CM before the deadline.

Mandalos was pretty poor with them crosses, every one just went so to high over everyone, we rarely really tested their keeper, besides Vargas' bullet.

The only positive is we can solely focus on the league now, im sure with more games the team will find a rythm, signing a CM is a necessity.

Well said Dikefale, still don't know how Barbosa missed from there but when you miss chances like that it sums up your day. If he scores then its game on and I think we may go on with it but wasn't to be.

I would've started Tzane instead of Lambro poor decision that one by Ketsbaia.

In all honesty though, after this performance the signs are pretty good for the League, we tried to play football but STE made it hard by sitting so deep and the only thing we could was cross after cross, one thing I didn't notice though was after all those crosses NOT ONCE did we win the 2nd ball from their clearances, everyone was either in the box or way to deep in defence.

Lets also not forget we played the most successful team in French Football (most league titles with Marseille) so no shame in losing by the 1 goal.

One good thing is we can focus solely on the league now and make a charge for that

Edited by Original Sydney

Only saw the highlights. It was great how the fans cheered the team at the final whistle. But with only one of your DM out injured you shouldn't have to resort to playing your CB in that role. That's poor recruitment

Tough draw when you're just getting back to European football....Team should not take this as a set back, time to regroup.

The draw for AEK will be tough for the foreseeable future, since they haven't accumulated many points in Europe in the past 5 seasons.  It's like a nasty feed back loop.  AEK will be in the non-seeded half of the draw so playing teams like Saint Etienne will be the new normal for a couple of seasons.  This is where you just need some luck.  One good run in the EL Group phase and you guys will be on your way.