Phantis Forums

Black Lives Matter Movement

Guest PastMember

7 hours ago, 1789 said:

What is white privilege?

Whoever does not know what white privilege is needs to try harder and learn about people's experiences outside their own microcosm.

White privilege is self explanatory, it is the amalgamation of all privileges afforded to people who have been born white.

On 25/09/2016 at 0:33 AM, ThrylosG7 said:

Right - so what do they expect the cops to do - if he has a priors like that...anyway - its not a racist shooting - the cop was black anyway - or has the narrative changed?? Lets remember that according to BLM blacks cannot be racist 

Are you saying that if someone has priors it is ok for them to have cops be judge, jury and executioner in the street?

35 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

also the black americans also have a a far more violent culture - thats just how it is..

And you confidently say this based on what? Your internet searching work or your feelings?

15 minutes ago, 1789 said:

Okay Adrastos. Jews are white. In earlier times they endured persecution, they were denied property rights, many came up in ghettos and impoverished areas, and millions were marked for extermination in Europe during WWII, and yet they appear to be among the most influential and affluent groups of people in the West.

We're Greek and our forebearers endured 400 years of serfdom under the Islamic Caliphate (that's what the Ottoman Empire was). Please explain to everyone on this board our privilege, because we're all white, yourself included.

Look there is no office of white privilege where you can go and get your starter pack. It is just a benefit in general, people treat you different as opposed to being colored for example, the Jews have had it incredibly bad for thousands of years as well. You're smart enough to know what white privilege is I feel, and it is telling that you deny it. People that are ignorant or oblivious for whatever reason I understand, but people who know better and remain silent or even undermine progress or what is right, that is especially repugnant.

1 minute ago, aek66 said:

yes, no office to visit and no card to carry, because it doesn't exist. 

It certainly does, I don't expect you to agree. So tell me, two children, born in the US one black and one white, they both have equal opportunities and the same odds of living a decent life? All things considered equal? Countless studies have shown otherwise. You talk as if the day slavery ended it was all sunshine and lollipops, come on. I know you have your personal opinions on black people but can't you at least argue in good faith without posting paparies like that?

16 minutes ago, aek66 said:

definition of a nuclear family:

black illegitimacy rate in the usa:

75%...even higher in urban areas. 

Part of the reason for this is institutionalized racist measures and policies.

10 hours ago, 1789 said:

So on the basis of our skin color alone please explain what benefits we have in life. 

Since you choose to pretend like you have no idea what I am talking about, I will provide some source material which I am sure is an exercise in futility on my part, nevertheless let's get on with it.

Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination

THE IMPACT OF JURY RACE IN CRIMINAL TRIALS

Nonviolent drug offenses, where people of color are jailed at much higher rates

Even though drug use in the white community is higher than in the African-American community. 

You are less likely to be perceived as a "thug."

When Seattle Seahawks superstar Richard Sherman dared speak out after making a game-winning play to get his team to the Superbowl,the word "thug" was used 625 times in 24 hours of television broadcasts. Sherman, a Standford University graduate, called out his critics, noting that white male aggression is seen as acceptable in sports like hockey because the vast majority of players are white.

You are more likely to make headlines when missing.

You’re Less Likely to Be Stopped or Killed Because You ‘Fit the Profile’:

About 90 Percent of New Yorkers Stopped and Frisked Were 'Innocent,' Says NYCLU

Earl Sampson Stopped 258 Times In Four Years

This is just a quick copy paste, if you would like to delve deeper, I'm sure you can be resourceful enough.

19 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

However lets look at the male role models for most young black men - all of them dress and act like " Thugs" - and the women in these videos ?? all act like whores

The world must be a very static and simple place in your mind if it can be explained as you do so eloquently in your post above.

2 minutes ago, ThrylosG7 said:

You should be the poster biy for the SJW's.

I don't know what a biy or a sjw is...as for the rest of your post, you might be right, or you might be expressing yourself poorly. Either way, the whole of the matter comes down to much more than just role models. Speaking on role models, there are plenty of positive role models to be found, you don't need to focus on the thugs and whores as you say.

2 hours ago, 1789 said:

You're right Tzatiki. I am less likely to be deemed a thug, but it has nothing to do with my skin color. It has everything to do with my attire, attitude, and behavior. I'm a decent man and it shows.

Some of the biggest crimes against humanity were committed by "decent" men in proper attire. Sorry, don't buy it.

3 hours ago, ThrylosG7 said:

No matter how you slice it or dice it - no matter how high in the clouds you want to stick your head - the reality - on the street - in real life - is that Black Americans have created a very serious culture of violence in their community. They have a no snitch policy even with crimes amongst themselves. They perpetuate their violent culture through their music - attitudes and general acceptance of the portrayal of black males being thugs, gangsters who will do violent things to you if they feel aggrieved...

These graphs are from the link I gave earlier i suggest everyone read it - its a real eye opener when it comes to what is really happening. However all the SJW's , BLM activists and god knows whatever other type of looney lefty will have us believe that the less than 1% is the big issue....

It's about opportunity and socio-economics and playing on an uneven field from the moment you enter the world as well. It is not simply one thing or another. Issues are multifaceted and have many moving parts. Very few people enjoy or wish to live in an urban warzone with no hopes and dreams. Blacks, minorities and poor people are set up to fail in many ways. Being a criminal is not a career choice anyone makes willingly, it is a last resort borne out of a lack of better alternatives. If you look into things seriously with an open mind, and not simply to validate your preconceived notion, you might be surprised at what you find. I will not hold my breath, and I don't expect to convince you at the moment however.

Either way, you are free to blame many of the problems you have both brought up (aek66 as well) of the black community on the people in the community themselves. You can still stand with the millions of people, black white veterans athletes etc who are calling for an end to the insane abuse of power of the police resulting in an alarming amount of loss of life (many unarmed and on video). Surely, such excessive use of deadly force must be something that we need to change? Do people deserve to die over selling loose cigarettes? Or because an officer is scared to death of black "thugs", or worse yet perhaps a member of some hate group or clan? It's bad enough that the US imprisons more people than any other nation on the planet (for profit as well), can we at least give them the right to a trial before we snuff them out?

Please its all a sham - Its a lifestyle choice - look at all the big time rappers

You see, you're basing this on what? The way people dress? A entertainers image? Do you think these successful rappers are actually lamenting their fate and wish they could flee back to their respective ghettos and lives of poverty and crime? An image is an image, it's marketing. Nobody wants to live in a neighborhood full of thieves addicts and murderers. It is easy to point fingers and call people hypocrites, do you know them personally? Or have access to their bank statements etc? That's not the issue. The issue is police killings and the call of millions to stop it.

No getting killed for something like that is obviously not on...the problem is - the level of outrage when it comes to cops killing blacks is overly excessive

Because cops for starters get away with it, even keeping their jobs and second you dont see blacks and whites being treated the same, not even close, that is why people have had enough.

You can add this story to the white privilege list:

Cops who arrested Dylann Roof 'treated him to a Burger King meal when he complained about feeling hungry after shooting dead nine black church goers'

4 minutes ago, aek66 said:

i absolutely do, just as i blamed the majority of economic issues in greece on it's citizens. 

i'd say if i blamed goldman-sachs and germany for greece's woes and simultaneously blamed the black-american community for it's urban woes, then you may have something.

the truth is nasty. 

my 89 y/o old neighbor claims his great-grandfather was an abolitionist and therefore, he is exempt from paying slave reparations.

Plenty of blame to go around, you are ok with letting the people who were running the country (into the ground) off the hook entirely?

9 hours ago, 1789 said:

On another note, in Greece there were riots in response to the death of 15-year-old boy killed by police back in 2008, as reported here by the Guardian:

More like generation Mao. In any case, that sounds more or less like what is happening in the US every so often. In the US the rate of unemployment among blacks is over 50% overall and its even higher among black youths (over 70%). If more blacks were under higher rates of employment and the economy was doing a lot better, would see these kinds of protests?

Bullshit.  That is a total lie

4 minutes ago, gyros said:

The reality is that its hard to employ black youth because most of them have dropped out of school to listen to hip hop full time.

Not sure if you mean hip hop is a problem, or if its just what they listen to full time, but if you think the music is an issue, the whole world listens to hip hop, even people who manage to keep a steady job. White kids, black kids, old folks, even people who don't speak english.

• Lazarus changed the title to Black Lives Matter Movement