Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos v. Larissa

cyberfish

Saturday game with very little meaning. I guess we'll rest some players because we play Villarreal on Tuesday.

Mantzios is out with knee problems. Let's hope he is ready for the Tuesday game.

Also out: Goumas, Melissis, Gabriel, Cleyton, David

It would be interesting to see Christodoulopoulos will start after his performance on Wednesday.

I hope we win so we can have a decent shot at the playoffs which would lead us to another CL run.

But, we're getting a nice warm day in NY today, so I'm outahere... Better enjoy it outdoor, I reckon. :P

PS>Cyber, I edited the topic's title, because we're playing at home and not at Larissa.... Shows that even a statistitian like you doesn't have much interest in this game.. :LOL:

A win is definitely required here but PAO should be wary of Larisa's attacking force, they already have good players in Zurawski, Parra, Metin and Ilic, all of whom can spark anything out of nothing when given the chance.

About that play-off system for Euros, as much as I know it is 3 points for the runner-up, 2 points for the third-placed and 1 point for the fourth-placed team and they play each other twice in a group format. Is that right, can someone confirm that?

little meaning? are you serious?

I am seriously starting to feel like the only Panathinaikos fan in the world, that sees qualification for next years Champions League as something CRUCIAL.

OSFP plays PAOK today. If they can frustrate PAOK, PAO can take back 2nd with 3 point today. IMO its quite important.

Honestly after this season, are there really fans who want to go back to those crappy UEFA Cup seasons????? I am excited by this years CL season and I definitley want PAO to get another go next year.

well...not great lineup. Tough match - need to win, need to not over play ourselves for Villareal either. We need a 1st half goal badly.

Another clear penalty ignored. I thought diving at first, but contact was very clear on replay, Salpi's foot was even caught between Kotsolis feet.

Salpi still very poor though.

Thats shitty... After the first half.. I started watching Stanley Kubrick's Lolita cuz i got bored of the way the two teams were playing. Plus Peter Sellers was an incredible Genius as an actor... I turn it back for one second and i see the 3rd goal... Why does pao always do this... After halftime.. they score an early goal and they wake up?

I did not lose any sleep waiting for this game but it's nice to see it turn into an easy walk in the park.

It looks like Ten Cate is going to make a player out of Christodoulopoulos. Playing him as CF is interesting but I don't think he has the instincts for the position. We were much more dangerous with Salpi on top.

They are talking about Moon's bad pass on this counter and they keep talking about how bad his choice was.

Well, the choice was the right one (just a bad pass), but the commentators failed to note how Ninis screwed up the play by running towards the ball, bringing an extra defender along the path of moon who then had only one easy choice ;)

It's pretty simple with this PAO: take the pressure off them and the good perfomance is guaranteed. Even today, in a totally unimportant game, they needed to score the first goal in order to start playing well. This why we do well in Europe and let the 'experts' run their mouths about creative football and stuff. We do need more quality, of course, but overall football quality rather than mere skill - we 've got enough of that. Titus has spoken.

PS: I hope HTC will change his mind about Iv and, most importantly, Mattos. The Brazilian is not a footballer one can easily force out of a Greek club.

Nice to see 3 goals, nice to see Salpi, Gilberto, and Xpoulo score. Nice to see how much difference Ivan's set piece can make even if he disappears most of the game. Nice to see Mattos back with such a good game and a fantastic assist on the 1-0. Nice to see Simao, Salpi, X'poulo, and Galinovic in such a good form. Nice to be able to rest some players for Tuesday. Wawrzyniak looks like a good signing and he did well as LB today. Not a huge upgrade but a very useful signing. Spyro needed some rest anyway.

I liked the lineup. With such solid marking midfield it all depends on how creative our creative players are and how much offense the three midfielders can generate.

The verdict: Mattos one assist, Ivan one assist, Gilberto one goal, Christodoulopoulos one goal, Salpi one goal+one assist. Pretty good by my book.

BTW, this looks to me like a good lineup for Tuesday with Karagounis in instead of either Ivan or Christo.

I took a good long look at the first goal and I think that Nilsson's contribution should not be underestimated, mainly because it's one of the things we 've been lacking all season long. The Swede comes forward, moves to the centre of the pitch, passes the ball to Mattos and then sprints towards the box, taking one defender with him and causing some upset thus enabling the Brazilian to make that great pass to Salpi who was also making his run at that time. It's the 'extra player' effect - very important against defensive sides. I really liked that one.

Great win for you guys. Looks like Christodoulopoulos is starting to come in to his own. This guy has some untapped talent and for thr good of PAO, Greek Soccer and the National Team hopefully someone will get it out of him. Nice to see him do well. I'm one of the few PAOK supporters who was not happy to see him go.

Archived