Phantis Forums

Make or Break for PAO

The truth is, this is not the time for PAO to be stingy, they need to invest in a big name soon...if they dont, this downward spiral that we have witnessed this year will continue...the league results will remain mediocre and we will be getting limited UEFA prize money, and the fans will get anoyed and will watch less, the stadiums will empty, the advertising and sponsor money will dicrease due to the lack of enthusiasm from the fans...the arival of medicre signings (Zatuatus, munch, morris, epalle, maric and what ever crap arives in the winter) will eat away at our budget funds.

The only answer to this is that we cough up 5mill pounds and buy 1 or 2 good players on at least a 2 year contract. This will pick up the teams moral and the the fans will have something to go to the games for. These new arrivials combined with 1 or 2 young greek U21 internations will be the cure for this cancer thats been eating away at PAO for the past 6 months. Its safe to say that if Schum fails to bring to the trifili a big name this winter by the end of the year PAO could be in deeper sh!t than ever before in is rich history. That combined with the sale of Seitaridis...we can be looking forward to the inter toto cup from now on.

This is a Greek mentality. We are the best for pressing the self-destruct button. When something goes wrong we call for the head.

We had a very good team last year that made big advances in Europe. The team had been playing the best and most attractive football in Greece for 3-4 years.

But we allowed ONE defeat to break everything. One defeat at Rizoupoli changed the whole team!

WE DID IT. It was US, the fans. We wanted Limperopoulos out, we wanted Kolka out. If only we could keep that team together and make them stronger rather than weaker.

Instead we have Maric and Zutautus. Oriste...

im not melodramatic...all im doing is stating the facts. we DID have a good team...infact we had a team capable of lifing the UEFA cup last year. Deco said that we where the hardest oposition that Porto faced on their way to the finals.

BUT do you want to know what the scary thing is? Our entire midfield and Libe left with out the club recieveing a penny. Now dod you call that good managent of a football team?

I live in London and im studying Football management under the London FA and as a die-hard PAO fan it was torture watching the club lose its best players without recieving any money in exchange.

The club is in a downwards economic spiral. And if we have to put some of our own money into the new stadium i can guarentee you that things will only get worse. What the club needs is an invester, someone to pump in 5m pounds to buy 2 new players which will firstly get the results we need in the league and in Europe and more importantly get the fans behind the club and it management and restore faith in the trifili.

And i cant believe any of you even concider finishing second!

This is not Kria Vrisi paidia...this team was once a feard european super power! a club with a history as rich as any in European football. An ambasidor to greek football. We are the madrid of our country...imagine Real not winning a title in 8 years? The truth is Olympiakos should be the ones trying to kep up with us, But since they have the financial investements that they do, the tables have turned and we have fallen into there shadow.

Its very simple...a football club is like any other business...with out money you have no power or influence in your industry. Look at the mighty Parma...they could be closed within the next few days as was Fiorentina.

In conclusion, all im saying is that if nothing is done this transfer season, or next summer things will got from bad to worse. You cant have a player like Zatuatus leading the midfield of a team thats in the top 30 clubs of europe, can you?

so true Panos13, we are F***ing morons(sorry for da language but its true), sorry to say its our fault!!! but what is done is done no use in looking back now n ask what if this what if that, we got to look to da future and present time and atm we will see if theirs gonna b progress made with hopefully a big name signing... ;) ......

First of all, i as a die hard PAO fan myself, am extremely proud of our European history, but paidia, lets be honest. Take a break, have a coke and a smile. Things arent as bad as we have all been making them out to be.

We arent a European Super Power, however we are feared (or were) in Europe. We are not, and never were a Madrid or a Utd so as to speak of Super Powers, however we are feared!

Second of all, you mention we lost all our midfield and lybe. We lost Karagounis, Lybe, Kolka. We have Basinas and Michaelsen, but more so Basinas. In him we have a player we can build a team, a midfield around. You Zuta is bad! I agree! I hate him, he is a fringe player. Maric, yes i agree, let him go bak to Croatia, however the rest have a chance. I bet when we signed Papadopoulos no one had such expectations. Look at our strike force! Michali, Pap, Olisadebe to come back from injury. Vlaovic, well his good back up, admit that! His not a starter.

Our defense is also very good. Apart from ageing Henriksen, who still puts in 110% however we need to find a long term replacement for him (morris maybe, vyntra if he signs) - morris, kyriagkos, seitaridis, munch who has surprised me if not everyone here. Dissappointed by the Fyssas scenario but thats football!

Yes, we did give up alot of good players up at the end of season and not earn a cent from any of them. But Karagounis signed for Inter before the Olympiakos game. Lybe is still a mystery, but the fans never called for lybe's head, he was the one who drove them to putting one hand on the title. Kolka, well, it was always doubtful!

And yes, we do need a big signing, but it xcant happen overnight. We just cant offer enormous amounts of cash to anyone foreign bc there just gonna come to greece and play for cash and not for the club! Do u follow. research needs to be done (livathinos trip to argentina, zaets to germany to look at a player from Werder correct me if im wrong).

And aek and olymp have stadiums granted by govt, why cant we? We all know PAO cant just keep on pulling money out of their pockets for new stadium, new players, wages for current players. Our max crowd attendances are 16000. We dont make much out of that not to mention our poor Euro performance which dint help financially. And broadcasting rights in Greece aint exactly a goldmine.

And file, if you loved last yrs team, take a look at the amount of money that was spent on the Starting 11 at Rizopoulis and compare to the amount of money spent on players to field our Current starting 11. There wont be a big difference if any!

I dont wanna come across like im critici\sing you and everyone else however we need to focus and not talk without thinking. I do agree however on some issues you have raised so far on this forum!!

Geia

ok...firstly you have agreed with most of the things i have said in my post about the players leaving with out us recieving any cash.

But you see...the problem is...we can not expect the current players in out squad especially the midfield to compete with teams in Europe and even olympiakos. Watch if thrilos gets a striker this transfer window we are in deep s%$#!.

You go on to talk about basinas? i agree he is our golden boy along with Seitaridis. But i have a gut feeling that if we get the right bid for either of them...xerete! they will be out of here. And we could recieve around 20mill pounds for them both...do you think the team would ever see that money in their trasfer funds? naa more like in Vardelogianis new Yacht and Mansion in Spain!

The managemt of PAO is wrong...there aproach to handing the players is wrong...But the answer is simple.

all the club needs is more confidence through 1 or 2 good signings.

For god sakes, if Ortega can play for Ferenbace, Taribo West for Besiktas and Mendieta in Middlsberough we can get a good player. The question is will they invest the money...if yes than great we could be in for a good year...but i have a feeling that PAO will do the same thing they did last year...sign 3 players from the israili army and hope for them to lead us to the finals of the uefa cup.

Any by Real Madrid, i ment that we where the Real Madris of Greek football...not comparing us to Real but im saying that we should be the best team in greece...by FAR!

I agree with most of what everyone says, but:

You say we need money to buy players in the first place and that one source of revenue is a full stadium and fans going and paying for tickets, right?

But what is going to bring fans to the stadium and put bums on seats? Zutautas and Maric? Morris and Munch? No. We need exciting players, we need attacking football that we were so used to last year. Don't tell me that the club didn't make any money from the European Porea in the last few years. They made the second round of Chamopin's league twice. That's millions of pounds in TV rights and gate receipts and for every point gained. Also Last year's UEFA cup games brought in a lot of money. For me, the doikisi has not reinvested that money back into the club.

I agree with whoever mentioned Mendieta etc. If Besiktas could get Okocha, so could we. We are bigger than Besiktas and any other Turkish club. Ok so he will have to play against Akratitos and Aigaleo, but surely the Greek league is atleast on par with the Turkish league. At least we can offer these players the chance to shine in Europe every year.

Look at Bolton, they win nothing and are always fighting relegation, yet they have a team with superstars like Okocha. I look at players like N'Gotty and Per Frandsen and think they could do much better than play for Bolton; they could shine in the Champions League with PAO.

I have a feeling that the only ones who could save PAO are the Giannakopoulos brothers. Look at the money they have spent on the basketball team. They are also far better businessmen too.

Giannis Vardinoyiani has made nothing for himself, he has inherited PAO and hasn't got the knowledge to build a successful empire.

Archived