Phantis Forums

Young Guns

thrylos

At the beginning of the year, many young Greek players on Olympiakos were getting a good chance to play (15 minutes here, 15 minutes there).

Now, it seems like less and less.

What will happen to them? I was really excited that Olympiakos is signed young Greek players, but they need to get a chance.

Thoughts?

Info?

At this moment my man Olympiacos Youth (U21 team) is playing in Italy (Viareggio Tournament) and they playing against Piacenza..

At Halftime we are loosing 1-0 to the Italians..

As far as our signings it's interesting that you bring this up because it also seems that when we sign some youth player some decent foreign player comes in and then we forget about the "little guy"

Olympiacos academy I don't think treat their youth good enough or give them the RIGHT SUPPORT they need... I don't know of 2 many youth polayers coming from the academy level or from the youth level (U21) that stay w/ the club and have a historic carrer... Can someone elaborate on this?

Don't get me wrong I would LOVE to see the "little guys" play especially Cup games just like it's done in the UK and other main leagues...

Papadopoulos had the knee surgery and that pushed him back a little bit but Mitroglou you are right,he should get some more chances but on the other hand,Lemonis is not into risking to much since we did not have any "easy"games so far.

greek young guns.. i think oly need to start investing more into greek players in general...acouple weeks ago(cant remember which matchday) but there were only 3 greeks in your starting 11..it is ESSENTIAL for the top tier greek teams like PAO AEK and OLY to invest in greek youth..if we want our league and NT to progress, we need to drop to foreigner complex and start looking more to the home ground for talent.. with the intro of players like ninis, dimoutsos, papastathopoulos and mitroglou we could potntially build a great core of young players for the ethniki...i mean, these players have been scouted by some of the top european clubs, but they need to play regularly to build and grow into star, which they are all capable of doing...im sick of seeing greek youth rot awat in the second division while the top clubs keep signings useless foreign names...

Guest TheLegend

Then you risk winning games. A team built of Greece u-21's wouldnt be able to take the Greek League let alone prgress in the CL. You always need foreigners. Look at EPL. If it was only english people the league would be crud

Then you risk winning games. A team built of Greece u-21's wouldnt be able to take the Greek League let alone prgress in the CL. You always need foreigners. Look at EPL. If it was only english people the league would be crud

i think u missed my point...it wasnt that we shouldnt have foreigners, its that we have TOO many of them..we rely on foreign talent because we want immediate results..im not saying fill the team with youngsters or fill the team with greeks, but when i see oly playing with only 3 greeks in the starting 11 and only 2 or 3 players under the age of 23 it gets disheartening...if we want to see good fresh greek talent we have to start utilizing more...im not saying every minute or every game, but a player like mitroglu should see alittle more time then 10 minutes every three game? right?

Guest TheLegend

Yes but you have to look at who you would bench to let him play...

Lua Lua and Kovacevic. Would any coach in his right mind do that

Regardless. If you want depth, then these players need to play in those situations that allow them to improve. If they get no games and then due to injury are thrown in, it is unfair to them and the team.

Players such as Mitroglou should get 20-30 minutes every game or so. Only way the team will have competent subs when injury strikes.

also better for Greek soccer.

:) i agree

the other reason why we let them play before is because of the greek cup games that were very easy

still wats wrong with benching kova once and a while and giving the old man a break? I really think Mitroglou should start this next game vs kalamaria (i think thats who were playing) . Point is, its a week team and a very beatable team even with mitroglou. If the situation is soooo bad than we can easly just sub kova in, who imo comes off the bench well.

Guest TheLegend

:) i agree

the other reason why we let them play before is because of the greek cup games that were very easy

still wats wrong with benching kova once and a while and giving the old man a break? I really think Mitroglou should start this next game vs kalamaria (i think thats who were playing) . Point is, its a week team and a very beatable team even with mitroglou. If the situation is soooo bad than we can easly just sub kova in, who imo comes off the bench well.
Whats wrong with it is that we are still 1 point behind. There is no need to slow down and risk games yet. If at the end of the season we are up 7-8 points go ahead and start mitroglou for a game but you dont risk it now especially when AEK is 1 point ahead and has the easiest schedule of all the teams this 2nd half

Guest TheLegend

The kid is good. Obviously. Look at the Euro. But im saying at this point in the season there is no tiem to risk anything. Especialy at mid season when ur 1 point behind

Guest TheLegend

they brought players up this year. Everyone seems to ignore the fact. just cuz olympiacos main team is alot better than subs and youth teams doesnt mean the subs and youth are crap

Archived