Phantis Forums

MAD WORLD is up on DIRECTV

I awoke this morning with Alter Globe off of free preview and a new channel on 2165 called "GMTV" on the TV Guide also off. I assume this stands for "GREEK MAD TV".

I just called, and its 34.99 for all 4 channels (Mega, Alpha, Alter, Mad), an increase of 8 dollars from the Mega/Alpha package (26.99). You can also get MAD on A la carte for 14.99. You can not get lets say "Mega, Alpha, Alter". You have to have Mad TV with it, unless you pay for each on a la carte for 14.99.

THIS SUCKS!!!

Can we rename this thread?

I just got the service, and its NOT MAD WORLD! It's some other video channel called "GMTV". Has the logo G on the screen. I think its that channel that Globestar was trying to push.

Big disappointment here. What happened with MAD World?

Sucks I cant get JUST Mega, Alpha, Alter. :angry:

LOL looks like your getting this channel then http://www.gtv.gr/

Looks crap to me what happened to MAD it might be still coming you never know as there website indicate being on in the USA

Anyway GTV is no replacement for MAD its total crap and a small cheaparse music channel only available on terrestrial for only a small part of Greece

Big disapointment if this is it and there is no MAD coming...

LOL looks like your getting this channel then http://www.gtv.gr/

Looks crap to me what happened to MAD it might be still coming you never know as there website indicate being on in the USA

Anyway GTV is no replacement for MAD its total crap and a small cheaparse music channel only available on terrestrial for only a small part of Greece

Big disapointment if this is it and there is no MAD coming...

Even BLUE is better....This really sucks.

MAD World had put on their site that its launching in North America, and we were getting info about that. I cant see it going to Dish Network, since it is owned by UBI and they currently have Alpha and plan to put Star up. (I HOPE)

All I know is that this really sucks. Does anyone have any more news? :(

BTW, DirecTV named the packages the following way:

GreekDirect

Mega Cosmos

Alpha Sat.

GreekDirect II

Mega Cosmos

Alpha Sat.

Alter Globe

GMTV

Damn Globestar....... :tdown:

I have sent MAD an email asking what is going on and when and who will they be on you can send one aswell if you like [email protected]

hopefully MAD does come also as GTV would no entice anyone to subscribe to it seems to show alot of English music also so thats crap if people wanted english music they would watch MTV or something

Can't believe they even thought about bringing GTV here it hardly covers Greece and they bring it all the way to the US talk about crap LOL must of been really cheap for Globestar to get...

Can't believe they even thought about bringing GTV here it hardly covers Greece and they bring it all the way to the US talk about crap LOL must of been really cheap for Globestar to get...

Well DKSat said that Mega/Alpha/Alter would be 34.99 when Alter went up. And the price +this channel remains 34.99. Still, this channel really does suck big time. But I have no other choice but to get it if I want the other 3.....I'm going to email MAD too, even though I did in September with no response.

For now Mad World and STAR are in the back burner .

DKSat

Thanks for the info DKSat.

I wonder what happened to freeze relations between Directv and Mad. Mad had even announced on their website that MAD WORLD was up and running in the US since September 2007 (talk about premature exuberance) with what they called "the UBI platform."

For now  Mad World and STAR  are in the back burner .

DKSat

Thanks for the info DKSat.

I wonder what happened to freeze relations between Directv and Mad. Mad had even announced on their website that MAD WORLD was up and running in the US since September 2007 (talk about premature exuberance) with what they called "the UBI platform."

Well I dont think they negotiate with DirecTV themselves, but UBI does since they own the right? Right?

Either way, I wonder why it froze too. Very disappointing. Hopefully they still come along with Star. And what about those radio stations? (Prob. same thing....)

I think MAD and Star will still come onto DirecTV but as DK Sat there not in a hurry

Looks like there signed to DirecTV anyway since MAD announced on there site there in the US now and STAR changing there programming to suit US audiences also and quoting US times in there commercials so most likely just a matter of when now....

Ert has jumped from Directv once already, so I don't think they care to repeat past mistakes. Of course that didn't stop Mega.  :whistle:

Well I think its fair to say that is was a different situation back then?

Anyway, it would be nice if there was a switch so all the channels could be on 1 platform (minus Ant1 of course), or atleast have it on both platforms. Dosnt Greece want to expand their channel to as many viewers as possible?

I think MAD and Star will still come onto DirecTV but as DK Sat there not in a hurry

Looks like there signed to DirecTV anyway since MAD announced on there site there in the US now and STAR changing there programming to suit US audiences also and quoting US times in there commercials so most likely just a matter of when now....

Lets hope so.....

:unsure:

Anyway, it would be nice if there was a switch so all the channels could be on 1 platform (minus Ant1 of course), or atleast have it on both platforms. Dosnt Greece want to expand their channel to as many viewers as possible?

It was Directv back then, as now. So, no, there was nothing different. It would in fact be unfair to say anything is different. ;)

But back to the question of whether ERT could be on both platforms, just by checking the Dish Network and Directv platform offerings from their respective websites, I hardly see any overlap of international channels offered. So I am going to guess that for whatever reasons US platforms place a lot of pressure on channels to go exclusive with either one or the other provider. From what I had read in newspapers last year, ERT's current deal with Dish is through next fall.

Anyway, it would be nice if there was a switch so all the channels could be on 1 platform (minus Ant1 of course), or atleast have it on both platforms.  Dosnt Greece want to expand their channel to as many viewers as possible?

It was Directv back then, as now. So, no, there was nothing different. It would in fact be unfair to say anything is different. ;)

But back to the question of whether ERT could be on both platforms, just by checking the Dish Network and Directv platform offerings from their respective websites, I hardly see any overlap of international channels offered. So I am going to guess that for whatever reasons US platforms place a lot of pressure on channels to go exclusive with either one or the other provider. From what I had read in newspapers last year, ERT's current deal with Dish is through next fall.

Yes, but back then you didnt have Alter, Alpha, (Mad, Star, possibly Cypriot channel) on direcTV and back then Ant1 was still the number 1 channel in Greece.

And I thought there was no exclusive on ERT for Dish. Yes they have a contract to be broadcast on Dish, but not exclusively....

Why will ERT  World  jump to Directv when 95% of the Greek households in the US have Dish Network.

DKSat

Those numbers may change with the edition of more channels to DirecTV line up.

People can last so long with just Ant1 and ERT when the alternative has more channels/choices. Atleast thats how I see it.

Also on a separate note, do you have the subscriber numbers DKSat?

Why will ERT World jump to Directv when 95% of the Greek households in the US have Dish Network.

DKSat

Thank you. I didn't want to be the one to state the obvious.

As for whether the addition of new channels will change that like Grk101 was suggesting--well, even when all the channels were on Dish Network for years, neither ERT nor MEGA had the same number of subscribers like ANT1.

As for whether the addition of new channels will change that like Grk101 was suggesting--well, even when all the channels were on Dish Network for years, neither ERT nor MEGA had the same number of subscribers like ANT1.

And those were the "golden years" for Ant1......

And those were the "golden years" for Ant1......

Grk101, ANTENNA's #1 position in subscribers then and now has had less to do with the overall program quality (good or bad) and more to do with the fact that it has been in the US since the very early 90s.

I got a reply from MAD :) I was browsing the net and found MAD's PR Manager email address so I thought I'd give it a go and see if she reply and she did :) :gr:

Dear Kolossos,

Mad World will indeed be broadcasting through the Direct TV platform.

However, there has come up a minor delay. Certainly it will start broadcasting very soon, yet the exact date is not available at the moment.

Thank you

Best Regards

Mari T

PR Manager Mad

I got a reply from MAD :) I was browsing the net and found MAD's PR Manager email address so I thought I'd give it a go and see if she reply and she did :) :gr:

Dear Kolossos,

Mad World will indeed be broadcasting through the Direct TV platform.

However, there has come up a minor delay. Certainly it will start broadcasting very soon, yet the exact date is not available at the moment.

Thank you

Best Regards

Mari T

PR Manager Mad

WOW! FINALLY A REPLY! :D

This is great news. I can't wait for it! And it may also give a hint on what will happen with STAR. B)

Archived