Phantis Forums

Arsenal vs Olympiacos

evalagoal

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal 2-1 Olympiakos  FT

Better effort this time around, but as always a Greek club goes to England and loses.

They dont seem to be a pushover ektos edras anymore tho!
I was at the game tonight. It was a good game. I was particularly impressed with Holembas, Feijsa and Mellberg. Costanzo and Marcano were terrible and Djebbour had a very bad night. At least Olympiakos pressed and worked hard but before we all get carried away and claim that the first game against Marseille was a one off bad game, let's not forget that Arsenal had 9 first team players out tonight. That was essentially Olympiakos' first team against Arsenal's 2nd team. Greek football is def on a downwards trend at the moment

acouple points about the match and olympiakos in general...

oly should have taken at least a point from this, not because their performance was good by any means but bc arsenal looked soooo poor. there were spells in the match where they looked just absolutely horrendous...olympiakos did not take advantage and suffered a defeat. arsenals shape at times was abysmal..players out of position, too much free space throughout the pitch, poor passing and poor overall team effort, they won because of individual efforts and amateur mistakes from oly players. i thought that overall this match and both teams were rather poor.

arsenal may be able to make the excuse of 9 key players missing, but oly have no excuse...they were presented with a fabulous opportunity to get some key away points against a team that looked vulnerable...a draw here and two wins vs borussia would have put them in a great position. away points have proven key in european competition. progressing is still possible, but the road will be very difficult.

i dont believe olympiakos' performance was impressive by any means despite what some gavro-sites like sportdog claimed it to be. the only thing that impressed me was the fact that they did not fold and at least attempted to fight back into the match...

i also dont understand why valverde is so highly rated and everyone thinks he is a god send...the team looks unprepared and his substitutions left me with a bad taste...he often seems unsure of what to do in tight situations, kind of reminded me of nioplias to be honest today...i dont think he is anything better than an slightly above average coach...tactically, he showed me very little.

one more point, i noticed one thing...the best player on the pitch for olympiakos just happened to be the only greek in the start line up..i dont mind foreigners, but for god sake, 1 in the 11 and and 3 in the 18?? your trying to tell me there are NO greek players capable of playing in place of orbaiz? or fejsa? or marcano? or costanzo? you think its just coincidence that the best player and one of the only ones that gave 110% on the pitch for olympiakos was a greek player? do the other ones know who they are playing for? do they realize that olympiakos is a big club with rich history? it didnt seems like it.

this was one of the few times a greek club could have easily taken the victory in england, but did not grab the opportunity by the balls..they gave THIS arsenal team far too much respect.

also, and sorry for the length, but mirallas, for me, despite obviously being extremely talented and making some good plays, was unacceptable, for two reasons..one, i understand he is a striker and he wants to shoot, but on multple occasions he created great chances and wasted them by taking shots from low percentage areas instead of serving the ball to a teammate in a better position, or putting in a dangerous ball...he seems like he is fighting for a transfer to a bigger club and league, not a player who wants the team to win...two, while valverde substitution of him was a HUGE surprise and he should have stayed on in place of djebbour, his little temper tantrum shows me he is not playing for the club...the manager is in charge, you repsect his decision and respect the shirt whether he plays you at left back of centre forward, or whether he comes out in the 20th min or plays the full 90. i understand he wants to play and win but he will get nowhere if he keeps the attitude he had today...

pao123 i agree with much of what you say. Valverde is a poor manager in my opinion and if Orbaiz is going to play they might as well have kept giannis papadopoulos. Not sure Torosidis was Olympiakos' best player though, although he was good, and Fejsa played quite well. Simply being Greek should not guarantee you a first team place. I mean look at PAO's Greeks, horrendous! But I take your point and agree with you, foriegners should only be bought if they are quite evidently better than what we already have.

It's also ridiculous that Fetfa and Mitroglou aren't involved more

pao123 i agree with much of what you say. Valverde is a poor manager in my opinion and if Orbaiz is going to play they might as well have kept giannis papadopoulos. Not sure Torosidis was Olympiakos' best player though, although he was good, and Fejsa played quite well. Simply being Greek should not guarantee you a first team place. I mean look at PAO's Greeks, horrendous! But I take your point and agree with you, foriegners should only be bought if they are quite evidently better than what we already have.

It's also ridiculous that Fetfa and Mitroglou aren't involved more

i believe ibagaza was the best player yesterday, then toro and fejsa. toro showed the most heart in my opinion though.

thats the problem with foreign managers sometimes, they play ta dika toys paidia, even if they are worst than what the team already has...they also couldnt care less about our ethniki or actually developing young greek talent...

i think that as long as valverde is the manager than mitroglou will not be playing at the club...same goes for fetz. who wont see as much time as he should. valverde will prefer abdoun to fetz this year, despite the fact that fetz has the potential to be 10 times the player abdoun is....

oh elladara...

I agree with you about the manager. Ketsbaia would have been great for them, I can't believe they got rid of him. The guy had yet to concede a goal and he had K.Pap in holding midfield when no one had ever thought of playing him there. Soleidis was in the team too and Olympiakos were well organised. Valverde's teams always lack shape and organization, i think he's terrible to be honest. Mitroglou had the potential to be class and this fool ruined him. Fetfatzidis is an idiot for signing an extension at Olympiakos

i agree about mitroglou, but he is also to blame for his poor attitude..their relationship is forever strained..past the point of reparation...

To be honest if I was a manager I'd be quite dictatorial because the average modern day footballer is a spoilt brat, however in this regard Valverde is a fool. If i remember rightly I read somewhere that Mitroglou was averaging 1 goal in every 80 mins when Valverde dropped him

Bravo to your team, I saw the second half, they were a threat and a joy to watch, more than can be said about my team this year ...

Genome, that's the best that we can ask of any of our Greek teams playing outside of Greece that they just have a good showing..

Archived