Phantis Forums

Manchester City-Omonoia

Omonoia9

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is at this time, I'd like to take one last look back, at the magical European campaign of Cyprus's most popular club, Athlitikos Syllogos Omonoia Lefkosia. The 2007-2008 season was a disaster by Omonoia standards. Antonis Giorgallidis was a standout in goal, after transferring from Anorthosis. The team had offensive issues, and was outplayed even in many of their wins. Dragomir Okuka was sacked, Giorgos Savvides resigned, the club was left in the hands of Nedim Dudic, a relatively unknown Bosnian acting as interim manager. Dudic was also a former player for Omonoia. Omonoia finished 3rd in Cyprus, and didn't win the Coca-Cola of Cyprus Cup. European football, was far from a certainty. Luckily, Anorthosis's lengthy UEFA Cup run last year earned Cyprus, 2 UEFA Cup spots, allowing Omonoia to join their co-tenants APOEL in the competition. Omonoia as usual disposed of their first preliminary round opposition, in this case, FYROMian side, FK Milano Komunovo. It is the second preliminary round that usually kills trifyllara, alas we were matched up with AEK Athens, a fierce matchup of cultural proportions. Walking into OAKA in Athens, we weren't given much chance. The possibility of a 70,000 seat stadium all cheering on AEK was formidable. Instead, Omonoiates took up 3,000 of 15,000 total in attendance, and were far louder. Omonoia now was settled into the atmosphere in Athens, and played their game. A two-hopper from just inside the box off the boot of Cafu found its way past Sebastien Saja. The goal was plenty as the midfield, defense and keeper Giorgallidis kept AEK off the board to claim a shock 1-0 victory. Still, AEK and their fans liked their chances of getting it back in Lefkosia. What was there to worry about? The GSP seats only 23,000, far smaller than their OAKA. Well, that 23,000 seat stadium was full, and led by Thyra 9 it was far louder and more intimidating than OAKA. It got even harder to play as Kloidan Duro sent the faithful into a frenzy with a goal after 11 minutes. Even an Ismael Blanco equalizer did nothing to silence the crowd. When Duro restored the lead for the match, AEK was doomed, and though a late equalizer could save AEK from losing the match, Omonoia won the 2-game set, much to the joy of the GSP faithful. Sadly, in the Knockout Stage, an unlucky draw left us to suddenly-rich Manchester City. Even then we held our own, not making it easy on City at all. Now we are out, but looking back, we had a run we are proud of, that earned us respect, and bragging rights within the Hellenic community as well. The future is bright for trifyllara and Cypriot football.

In honor of Omonoia's well-played campaign this summer, I am going to leave Omonoia's 3-2 series win over AEK's scoreline in my sig, and the topic of Omonoia-AEK pinned, all year long.

no offense but isnt it kind of sad calling making it to the round of 64 UEFA a "magical European Campaign" ?

and are seriously Omonoia Cyprus' most popular club? :blink: I thought that was APOEL

After all the tragedy that has happened in your country, there are that many leftists?!??!?! :blink: :blink: :blink:

I went to this match last night and had a great time, the Omonoia supporters were fantastic, very loud.

The Man City fans were being dickheads by chanting 'your just a small town in turkey', and some istanbul song i couldnt understand, and one guy running onto the pitch and showing his ass to the nicosia supporters.

It was a shame that Omonoia only decided to really attack in the last 15 minutes, but it was good to see them score, the fans deserved it! It was also good to see Okkas and Aloneftis play.

You have no idea, it's seriously like 40% of all Cypriots are Omonoiates. That's amazing. A large part of it, is that, other leftist clubs are really small, but what it really is, is Omonoia's philosophy. The club is run like a club, not by one owner. We forced out Serafim, as a club. Omonoia is the club of pro-Makarios, anti-enosis, left wing and AKEL Cypriots. These things are what attract people to becoming Omonoiates. In my case, it's obviously my Thio Sotiri. His father was my pappou's oldest brother, who by some American gov't f*ckup, had his last name changed to Kaiafas. My mom got to see Thio Sotiri play in the 70s, live at the old GSP, as she was his first cousin. Now his son's the damn captain. I'm rambling here, but the point is, ANY fan in Cyprus will tell you Omonoia's the most popular.

Archived