Phantis Forums

We did it!

ukchris

Well, that was quite an afternoon. Our old hero Luciano returned to very nearly spoil the party, but we came good in the second half and I think we deserved the win. Was a great game, though, with both teams going for the win and chances galore at both ends.

So, now we've made the play-offs, which somebody tried to explain to me, but which I'm still baffled by.

Do we really have a theoretical chance of making the Champion's League?! Genius!

From SportInGreece.gr:

The final standings in the Super League, which could be affected by a Court of Arbitration of Sport decision on Monday, mean that AEK, Panathinaikos, Aris and Panionios will be the four teams that will compete in the play-offs.

The sides will play against each other to decide who will be the second team to go into the Champions League, albeit the knockout stages, and which sides will go into the UEFA Cup.

Panionios are the surprise inclusion after starting the day in sixth place but Lambros Houtos's goal eight minute from time to give them a 2-1 win over Atromitos meant that they overtook Asteras Tripolis, who lost to AEK, in fifth spot.

It's the first season that the Super League is trying the play-off system and the rather complicated scheme means that the teams will go into the competition with the following standings:

AEK 8

Panathinaikos 7

Aris 2

Panionios 0

The games will begin next Wednesday and the schedule is as follows:

23/4

Aris v Panathinaikos

AEK v Panionios

30/4

Panionios v Aris

Panathinaikos v AEK

04/5

Panionios v Panathinaikos

AEK v Aris

07/5

Panathinaikos v Panionios

Aris v AEK

11/5

Panionios v AEK

Panathinaikos v Aris

14/5

AEK v Panathinaikos

Aris v Panionios

Well, that was quite an afternoon. Our old hero Luciano returned to very nearly spoil the party, but we came good in the second half and I think we deserved the win. Was a great game, though, with both teams going for the win and chances galore at both ends.

So, now we've made the play-offs, which somebody tried to explain to me, but which I'm still baffled by.

Do we really have a theoretical chance of making the Champion's League?! Genius!

Congrats on making 5th spot mate! I think it's mathemactically possible to make the CL, but VERY unlikely so don't get carried away. :P I think Panionios will have to win every game and other results go your way too.

As for the UEFA Cup, if Djebbour does leave it's essential to but a couple of strikers. Konstantinou (who as we know has been linked) would be a great signing, but with his injury proneness it's perhaps also necessary to buy a another forward just in case. Perhaps Petropoulos or Mantzios on loan? Or why not try and get Zurawski or even be go down Argentine route like so many Greek clubs seem interested in doing.

Another key point of improvement has to be the defence, Panionios' defence really is bad and if Panionios are going to make any sort of impression in the UEFA Cup this has to be a priority.

As for the UEFA Cup, if Djebbour does leave it's essential to but a couple of strikers.

What are the Djebbour rumors?? For how much? Panionios shouldnt sell him unless they can make alot of money. Try to hold on too him for a while, just like spyropoulos.

Djebbour, Xoutos and Fernadez behind them can be a deadly attack in the uefa cup and greek league next year. Sign a strong defender and Panionios are in the uefa group stage.

As for the UEFA Cup, if Djebbour does leave it's essential to but a couple of strikers.

What are the Djebbour rumors?? For how much? Panionios shouldnt sell him unless they can make alot of money. Try to hold on too him for a while, just like spyropoulos.

Djebbour, Xoutos and Fernadez behind them can be a deadly attack in the uefa cup and greek league next year. Sign a strong defender and Panionios are in the uefa group stage.

He's been linked with PAO and a French team (I think Monaco)

i think 2 million euro isnt that cheap by greek standards. panionios will also get money from spyropoulos next transfer plus spyropoulos is not allowed to play against panionios for some 10-12 matches, if i remember correctly.

interestingly pao had spyropoulos signed some 3 or 4 years ago but the player then had a positive doping test. and got banned for 2 yrs.

xanthis gave torosidis for 800.000 or something along those lines. but then again xanthi and olympiakos are always doing business.

i expect panionios to lose other players as well. makos and djebbour could be next. that would mean they have to start all over again.

Archived