Phantis Forums

Sollied

CH-Thrylos

After the initial sickness of losing to Roma I can see with a clearer view. I think it would be a mistake to sack Sollied. Our defence looked solid for once against Roma, even if we did concede that 1 goal. Going forward the players just weren't themselves. If we make it into the UEFA Cup and win it everyone will want him to stay! He has shown significant enough strides to suggest we can do well. We haven't been battered by anyone. We quite easily could have had 5 or even 7 points now with the way the games have gone. I'd give Sollied one more year, let him instill his philosophy and tactics fully, then if he doesn't perform he has to go. Dont forget he lost Yaya then failed to get Ze Roberto so he really had huge damage to his plans from the beginning. Give him until Christmas 2007 and see if he can progress us. After all, the worst thing that could happen is to end up like PAO and change manager like Anna Nicole Smith changes husbands! That will bring instability and threaten our dominance in Greece. 1 more year guys.

u may have played well against roma but dont forget they had 4 starters injured

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

bumping horns once again with you..

i disagree with 90% of what you write.

Disagreeing on football issues is hardly bumping horns is it? The only thing we have ever 'bumped horns' on is political discussions on the politics board, you backed the Bosnians, I sympathised with the plight of the Serbs, how is that relevant to this discussion? Why must you start your post with that, are looking for an argument or something?

i follow italian football and i have many friends from italy, 'interisti'...that used to watch matches and read daily, la gazzetta dello sport during georgatos' time at inter.

georgatos was a sensation for his first 4-6 matches. super crossing, especially from deep. a perfect match for the tall vieri.

after that...forget it. georgatos was unfit, and failed to follow a physical regime especially designed for him. he was criticized for his positioning, but, his major downfall was his unwillingness to better himself...as a footballer. the most loved foreign fullback to ever play for inter is zanetti. georgatos, who plays on the other side, can't hold a candle to zanetti. example, the slovenian or slovakian gresko, who played for blackburn, was judged to be a better solution for inter on it's defensive left side.

tell me what you think of gresko? he was preferred over georgatos by people paid to make decisions.

I also have close Italian friends. Juve fans, Inter, Napoli and Palermo. Having friends doesnt make me an authority on the subject, same way it doesnt make you one. But to be fair I think you misunderstood my post. I agree with you, Georgatos' attitude and inability to turn up to training was his downfall, I'm merely saying he used to go back to Greece (and miss training) because he was homesick. What we disagree on is his ability (at the time). If he was only good for 4-6 matches then turned s%$#! that could explain why he left after one season, but then why did they take him back a year later if he was s%$#!? Isn't it more likely that he left because of troubles associated with being homesick as oppose to because he wasn't good enough and he was given another shot because they had faith in his ability?

As for Zanetti being the most 'loved' full-back, what does that have to do with anything? I'm merely posting what the former President of Inter and the greatest left-back to have ever lived said about Georgatos. As for Gresko... yes he took Georgatos' place for the reasons we discussed, he wasn't settling in and stopped going training, became unfit, etc. Not necessarily because Gresko was better than him. Do you believe that Gresko was better than him?

u may have played well against roma but dont forget they had 4 starters injured

Only one of them, Montella, was a striker re file, and even he isn't a target man. I understand that they had players out but we still played well in the 1st half.

georgatos played good at first for inter then he sucked. he was loaned to olympiakos and after the loan ended returned to inter. probably because olympiakos didnt want to pay the transfer fee for him.

@ethnikistis:

i strongly disagree about what you wrote concerning castillo-sollied. if sollied had his way castillo would have been long gone. he was totally finished for sollied after the rumble with toure. it is only because of kokkalis and louvaris that castillo is still at olympiakos. kokkalis refused to let castillo go. praise where praise is due!

all i see is sollied wasting players like pappas, taralidis, kapsis and possibly patsa by not playing them...

After tonight’s result in the PAO-AEK match it’s becoming even more obvious that nobody is able to challenge Olympiakos domestically.

I think after all that happened so early in this season we have an opportunity to build a new team.

Kokkalis will sack Sollied at the end of the year anyway; we might as well try to find a coach that’s interested in building a new team now, give him a decent budget for winter transfers and start working for next year’s European campaign.

Olympiakos has a good team, and Solied is a good coach.

Losing in europe I think is more of a team mentality problem than a coach problem.

Losses to teams like Roma are in the program, and a loss here and there in the superleague is not the end of the world. No reason to overreact.

Olympiakos needs to slowly intorduce the next group of young greek starts. The team is a bit too old. Not talking of a huge overhaul, just adding a couple of greek defenders from the youth national team, a couple of mids and a couple of forwards. witihin time haf of the players might take a lead role

ummm, i also think we locked horns on samaras vs. salpiggidis.

as far as the bosnia x serbia nonsense, i didn't back the bosnians. my argument was about balkan mentalities/ethnic cleansing.

as far as georgatos: after some 4-6 match days, georgatos was considered the new 'roberto carlos'. as georgatos' preformances declined, italian media (milan bias) started reporting about how lippi was very unhappy with georgatos. lack of tactical positioning and his poor fitness drove georgatos to the bench. i saw the newspapers, the articles were explained to me, and my limited italian confirmed what the media/lippi were talking about.

i do remember that georgatos did make page 1 of la gazzetta dello sport after a good preformance...perhaps his 2-3 ever inter appearance. a photo of georgatos with hair (in fact, that was the headline, 'this guy had hair at one time'), in an olympiakos kit made page 1 of the pink paper.

lippi had inter's trainers develope a specialized training regimen that georgatos blew off. after that, he was done. cuper didn't like georgatos either. i think marco tardelli took over after lippi left, but i'm not sure of his relationship with georgatos.

Dude just because we disagree on a footballing matter it doesnt mean we're locking horns... not on my part anyway. I disagree alot with Aekrossoponti too but I respect everything he says and strikes me as a very nice guy. I'm sorry to hear that you think animosity exists on my behalf.

As for Georgatos, again I agree he's a bit of a m#$%!. Blowing off training regimes equates to poor fitness which kills your game at the top level but technically he was/is still fantastic. He is one of the best crossers of a ball in the world, even now! Defensively he is suspect, we don't disagree on that but "technically" which was the topic of discussion he is excellent imo.

Olympiakos needs to slowly intorduce the next group of young greek starts. The team is a bit too old. Not talking of a huge overhaul, just adding a couple of greek defenders from the youth national team, a couple of mids and a couple of forwards. witihin time haf of the players might take a lead role

I agree! We need to see more of Pappas and Taralidis. Also, WHERE IS KAPSIS??? He's our best defender for crying out loud! Patsa is an absolute must also. I'm not saying we should have a big overhaul either, that would just disrupt the balance of the team but we need Patsa in the starting lineup and the others blooded in slowly. Its also time Olympiakos signed a top goalkeeping coach (foreign, pref English) to mould the replacement for Nikopolidis.

One more poor result and Thyra 7 will call for the removal of Sollied. Rivaldo's statement reflects the opinion of many fans. Sollied has contributed nothing to the team since he came. He was supposed to make a difference in Europe and obviously he hasn't.

By the way what is up with Ouadou. Is his wife condition that dire or does he just want to get out of OFSP.

By the way what is up with Ouadou. Is his wife condition that dire or does he just want to get out of OFSP.

It's not clear just yet, it seems similar to Antzas' situation.

What we know for sure is that he had confidence problems after the match against Valencia and the coaches took him to see an therapist.

Some say that one of the older greek players found out and gave the story to one of the sports newspapers. In the process somebody decided to spicy it up by changing the therapist to a medium.

He was given some time off now to go back to France and calm down; we'll see what happens when and if he comes back.

Sollied must stay and even kokkalis knows that.Thyra7 can bitch and moan all they want but you can not mess a hole team up just for 2 bad results.Karaiskaki can get full with out them.If we fire him now we will end up being like vazelini.Sollied did not get hired to win the greek championship with osfp.Me or darkhourse or even bar7 can win the league with osfp.He was picked to do better in europe and that has not happened yet,not even close.There is a big but here.Kokkalis has not provide him with the tools that he wants and before everyone is start yelling at me let me explain.In the 2 years osfp got many players but almost in many of this cases not the 1 choice of the coach.Last year we went from Benza to Babagida,this year we went from 14 differnt center defenders before we got Ouaddou and Ceazar.This is not the only reason for our misfortunes but is one reason by me.Anyone can make a salad but if you want to make a special one you will need the right ingridients.When the team was playing great in the summer friendlies most of us believed that maybe this would be the year.As it turns out is not.I remember Sollied saying back in the day that he needs 3 years to complete his work and since we are already in year 2 i would like him to stay and finish it.That way i can compare him to the best coach we ever had(BAJEVIC) and i can compare.

I guess calling greek players lazy won't win him much support, if that info is correct. Furthermore, that's a rather rude stereotype that amazes me to hear from such a football profissional, especially from a northern european. We all know how they are famous for being so cold and rational.

Anyway, I haven't been following closely Sollied's work on a national level because I don't have access to greek games on tv. I usually just read the reviews from some papers and some fan opinions just as yourselves' here in the fora. However, on the international level (CL), I can get to watch a game or two and I usually watch all tv reviews.

To be honest, and as some of you have already pointed out, his performance is fairly poor. Olympiakos last year's performance was pretty awful and this year things don't seem to be improving much.

I'm myself not a big fan of sacking coaches and it seems to me that it's fairly useless to sack him now. However, Olympiakos needs to get another coach and definitely some top quality players if european success is at aim.

Archived