Phantis Forums

Finland National Team

dark_horse

Can Finland qualify for Euro 2008?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can Finland qualify for Euro 2008?

• Yes
    • No

Finland got off to an unexpected fast start in Euro 2008 qualifying with 4 points after 2 matches with a 3-1 away win to Poland and a hard-fought 1-1 home draw to Portugal. Question here is (I know it's too early), it is possible this could be there year to qualify for Euro 2008? :)

It is possible to make it out of this group with the likes of Portugal, Serbia, Poland & Belgium?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your right savas, anybody can qualify in a major tournament if a team believes they can do it. Ukraine set an example why the "football gurus" should never underestimate the heart of a national team. I personally love Finland to play in Euro 2008 with other Scandanivan countries. I would hope they do very well, they have an English coach (Roy Hodgson) who is very brilliant.

The squad for there upcoming matches:

Goalkeepers: Mikko Kaven (Tampere United), Peter Enckelman (Blackburn Rovers FC), Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton Wanderers FC).

Defenders: Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen SV), Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Toni Kallio (Molde FK), Ari Nyman (FC International Turku).

Midfielders: Mika Vayrynen (PSV Eindhoven), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Joonas Kolkka (Feyenoord), Jari Ilola (IF Elfsborg), Aki Riihilahti (1. FC Kaiserslautern), Peter Kopteff (FC Utrecht), Alexi Eremenko Jr. (FC Saturn), Markus Heikkinen (Luton Town FC), Pekka Lagerblom (1. FC Koln), Jarkko Wiss (Tampere United).

Forwards: Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City FC), Jari Litmanen (Malmo FF), Sheftki Kuqi (Crystal Palace FC), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF).

Finns savouring final fling

Friday, 6 October 2006

The end of Antti Muurinen's spell as Finland coach was predicted by many to be the dawn of a lean period for Finnish football.

Dire predications

Muurinen had brought renewed confidence to the side, without managing to guide them to the finals of a first major tournament. When he was dismissed from his job in June 2005, it was widely anticipated that the more talented and experienced members of the squad would take it as a cue to hang up their boots. However, the footballing apocalypse never quite happened, and following the appointment of Englishman Roy Hodgson at the start of 2006, it seems Finland's veterans have decided to have one more go at breaking their qualifying duck.

Quiet opening

The Hodgson era did not begin with a bang - indeed, the team failed to win a match in the year leading up to the UEFA EURO 2008 qualifiers and many feared the worst after their 2-1 home defeat by Northern Ireland in an August friendly. The coach, however, was not too concerned. "What's important is to get results when it really matters," became Hodgson's mantra. And with Finland's opening two Group A games netting 4 points, it appears that the coach's confidence has had an impact on his side.

Hyypia down

An impressive 3-1 win against Poland in Bydgoszcz was followed by a 1-1 draw against Portugal in Helsinki though defender Sami Hyypia was left feeling underwhelmed. "It really is a bit weird that we are disappointed after a draw with Portugal, but we felt the match could have been won," he said. Hyypia discontentment is a fair reflection of the renewed optimism among Finnish supporters. As they look ahead to long journeys to Armenia and Kazakhstan in their next two qualifiers, the success-hungry public are suddenly expecting nothing but 6 points.

Hard journeys

For Luton Town FC's Markus Heikkinen, that sounds a little presumptuous. "People who say 6 points is the only possible outcome do not know about our opponents or the conditions in Armenia and Kazakhstan," he said. "We certainly looking for wins but to take them for granted would be a big mistake." Nonetheless, the experienced Jari Litmanen is not only Finn buoyed by the good start that Hodgson's men have made to life in Group A. "There's a long campaign ahead, but no one can take these points from us," said the captain. "It's nice to make a good start for a change."

Natural reticence

Finns are hardly renowned as positive thinkers, but Hodgson's enthusiasm is beginning to pay off. Defender Hannu Tihinen was even eyeing the UEFA EURO 2008 finals when he decided which club to join this summer. "One of the reasons I chose FC Zurich was to get acquainted with the stadiums in Switzerland," he said. "It would be a dream to play here for Finland." A dream, perhaps, but after years of being told Finland would never reach a final tournament, some believe their time has finally come.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Alright so far 4 of you say Finland will qualify, 3 of you say they won't. Well since I've been following the national team from 2006, I must say they have a tough schedule ahead by September. With 9 matches remaining, the only teams I fear the most is Serbia and Portugal (especially in there home soil).

• 1 month later...

Roy Hodgson (born August 9, 1947) is an English football manager. He is currently the head coach of the Finnish national team.

Hodgson is probably best known for guiding the Swiss national team to the 1994 World Cup and Euro 1996; before that Switzerland had not qualified for a major tournament since the 1960s. He has also coached many notable club sides, including Malmo FF, Internazionale, Blackburn Rovers, Grasshoppers, F.C. Copenhagen and Udinese.

Hodgson has served several times as a member of UEFA's technical study group at the European Championships, and he is also a member of the FIFA Technical Study Group (TSG) at the 2006 World Cup. Hodgson has worked as a television pundit in several of the countries in which he has coached as well.

Biography

Hodgson was born in Croydon and educated at John Ruskin Grammar School. He was a moderately successful player with Crystal Palace before starting his coaching career at Swedish Allsvenskan outfit Halmstads BK in 1976. He spent five years at the club, winning the Swedish championship in 1976 and 1979. In 1980, he moved to Bristol City in his native England, where he was assistant manager and later manager. In 1983, Hodgson moved back to Sweden to take over Orebro SK. In 1985, he took over at Malmo FF, which he led to five consecutive Allsvenskan league championships, two Swedish championships (at the time the Swedish championship was decided through play-offs) as well as two Swedish Cups before moving to Swiss side Neuchtel Xamax in 1990.

In 1992, Hodgson took over the Swiss national team, which he led to the 1994 World Cup, also reaching the second round, and Euro 1996. Before the start of the European Championships, however, he joined Italian Serie A giants Internazionale, where he worked from 1995 to 1997, reaching the UEFA Cup final in 1996-97. In 1997, he moved back to England to manage Premiership side Blackburn Rovers, which he guided to the UEFA Cup in his first season, but was sacked early in the second season because of poor form. In 1998, he was seriously considered to succeed Berti Vogts as the coach of the German national team, but the German FA decided to appoint a domestic coach instead. In 1999, he had a brief second stint at Inter before returning to Switzerland to coach Grasshoppers for a season.

In 2000, Hodgson was one of three candidates to take over as England manager, but when Sven-Goran Eriksson was chosen, he moved to Denmark to win the Superliga championship with F.C. Copenhagen in 2000-01. In 2001, he broke his contract with F.C. Copenhagen to move to Serie A side Udinese, before taking over as coach of the United Arab Emirates later in the same year. In May 2004, he moved to Norwegian club Viking FK, which he took to the UEFA cup. On August 15, 2005, he agreed to take over as coach of the Finnish national team for the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign. He started the job in January 2006.

Forwards back in Finland fold

Thursday, 15 March 2007

Finland coach Roy Hodgson has welcomed back captain Jari Litmanen and striker Mikael Forssell for the UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying Group A trip to Azerbaijan on 28 March.

Vienna camp

Hodgson has picked a 24-man party which will initially travel to a five-day training camp in the Austrian capital Vienna between 21 and 26 March before leaving for Baku. Both Litmanen and Forssell are recovering from long-term injuries, and the Finland coach will hope both are back to full fitness as the pool leaders face the country propping up the section.

Rising stars

Hodgson, who is deprived of 1. FC Kaiserslautern midfielder Aki Riihilahti due to a long-standing calf injury, has included a number of fresh faces in his squad for the training camp with full-back Iiro Aalto and Roman Eremenko – younger brother of FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast midfielder Alexei Eremenko Jr - both still awaiting their first caps.

Finland squad

Goalkeepers: Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton Wanderers FC), Peter Enckelman (Blackburn Rovers FC), Niki Maenpaa (FC Den Bosch).

Defenders: Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen), Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Toni Kallio (BSC Young Boys), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Iiro Aalto (HJK Helsinki), Ari Nyman (FC Thun), Veli Lampi (FC Zurich).

Midfielders: Joonas Kolkka (Feyenoord), Jari Ilola (IF Elfsborg), Markus Heikkinen (Luton Town FC), Mika Vayrynen (PSV Eindhoven), Peter Kopteff (FC Utrecht), Alexei Eremenko Jr (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast), Jarkko Wiss (Tampere United), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Roman Eremenko (AC Siena).

Forwards: Jari Litmanen (Malmo FF), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF), Shefki Kuqi (Crystal Palace FC), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City FC), Roni Porokara (FC Honka).

• 2 weeks later...

Finland's chances of qualifying for there first major tournament has been dented from a shocking 1-0 loss to Azerbaijan. :( Now these days you can never underestimate Liechinstein or even San Marino. :ph34r:

Finland is still not out yet, they are tied with Portugal and Serbia with 11 points. Anything can happen!

Finland will be playing 3 straight home matches starting on June 2 thru August 22 (Serbia, Belgium, Kazakhstan).

darkhorse i thought you were supporting Sweden......whats with the Fins?

Drakos, have you read my post under "Do you support another NT"? Sweden is my second team to support, and I do love to support all Scandinaian countries just as long as they don't play against Sweden or Greece. Personally I love Finland, I've been there before during a group tour from my school, most of the people there are very friendly. There soccer team are major underdogs just like Greece in Euro 2004. It would be nice for him to qualify for Euro 2008. :)

I hope Poland does not go :D

The Finnish team is very unpredictable!

I would say Portugal are favourites for that group with Poland a good contender for 2nd place.

Correct, Finland surprised us in the first 2 matches with unexpected results and it could happen again sometime in June or September, and before you know it. We're here talking about Finland playing in Euro 2008. :hypocrite:

Portugal is starting to look better after there 2-1 defeat to Poland, they are certainly the team to beat in Group A, Poland is doing well, there playing some minnor teams at the moment, wait till September, than things get tougher for Poland. Serbia is a very young team that's in a rebuliding mode, they never should be counted out. I did pick them to qualify with Portugal. Group A is perhaps the most entertaining group of all. B)

• 1 month later...

Finland bank on new blood

Tuesday, 22 May 2007

Roman Eremenko and Hannu Patronen are in line for their Finland debuts after being called for the home qualifiers against Serbia and Belgium.

Younger brother

Eremenko, the younger brother of fellow midfielder Alexei Eremenko Jr, and the defensive-minded Patronen are not the only ones hoping to make their bow, as goalkeeper Magnus Bahne and full-back Veli Lampi are both in a similar position. Captain Jari Litmanen is a minor doubt for the two games at the Olympic Stadium in Helsinki as he has been struggling with injuries but is expected to be fit. Finland are fourth in UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying Group A, but are level with second-placed Portugal and Serbia, in third, on eleven points.

Finland squad

Goalkeepers: Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton Wanderers FC), Peter Enckelman (Blackburn Rovers FC), Magnus Bahne (Halmstads BK).

Defenders: Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen), Toni Kallio (BSC Young Boys), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Veli Lampi (FC Zurich), Ari Nyman (FC Thun), Hannu Patronen (FC Honka).

Midfielders: Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Joonas Kolkka (Feyenoord), Jari Ilola (IF Elfsborg), Markus Heikkinen (Luton Town FC), Mika Vayrynen (PSV Eindhoven), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Peter Kopteff (FC Utrecht), Alexei Eremenko Jr (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast), Roman Eremenko (AC Siena).

Forwards: Jari Litmanen (Malmo FF), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City FC), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF), Shefki Kuqi (Crystal Palace FC).

Finland urged to fight for points

Tuesday, 29 May 2007

Finland coach Roy Hodgson is hoping a number of his players can overcome a lack of match practice when they face successive home games against Serbia and Belgium in UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying.

Lacking sharpness

With some of Finland's key men being sidelined at their clubs for injury or selection reasons, their preparation for the Group A matches on 2 and 6 June has been less than ideal. However, Hodgson is staying positive, saying: "I'm not worried. I'm a pragmatist and you have to deal with situations. What I do know, is that I would be very disappointed if the players who are here - whether they have played every game, some games or have been on the bench - are not desperate to face Serbia. When they put on that white shirt of Finland, they should go all out to defend it."

Litmanen race

One player stymied by injuries of late is 36-year-old captain Jari Litmanen, who has not played a minute for Malmo FF in Sweden this spring. Hodgson admits that Litmanen may not be able to feature in Helsinki on Saturday, though things could change for the visit of Belgium. Yet with his team occupying a promising position of joint second in Group A alongside Portugal and Serbia, with eleven points from six games, the Englishman has cause for confidence. "The Serbia match is important to us - but all games are. The next game is always the most important. Any points taken from Serbia and Belgium could be crucial, although it's going to be difficult," Hodgson said. "It is vital the players give everything they have."

This is very critical for Finland to achieve results from playing both home matches to Serbia and Belgium respectively. Finland needs to win both games to keep there qualifying hopes alive. I have a good feeling Finland will be ready for them.

Archived