Phantis Forums

Finland National Team

dark_horse

Can Finland qualify for Euro 2008?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Can Finland qualify for Euro 2008?

• Yes
    • No

hahaha just when I spoke too soon, Finland's hope for qualifying there first major tournament has revived with a 2-0 win Belgium. Even better news, Poland lost to Armenia 1-0!!

Finland is in a 3-way tie with Portugal and Serbia with 14 points, Poland are the leaders in Group A with 19 points with an extra match played (9).

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh no, omg! This is terrible news!

Finland reel from Litmanen loss

Finland captain Jari Litmanen has departed Malmo FF after learning that he will be out until the new year as he prepares to undergo surgery on his achilles.

Difficult year

The 36-year-old former AFC Ajax, Liverpool FC and FC Barcelona forward has had a difficult year, with injuries limiting him to just two appearances – both in internationals. He will miss the rest of UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifying, however, after learning he must have an operation on his troubled ankle. "I need surgery and I'll be out for four to six months, which means I won't be playing for Malmo again," said the veteran, who terminated his contract with the Swedish club by mutual consent. "I've really enjoyed my time here though."

'Great pro'

Litmanen will be sorely missed by Malmo according to sporting director Hasse Borg, who added: "It's a shame we haven't been able to take advantage of his skills more than we have. We are happy that he's been with us though - he's been a great pro off the pitch and a role model for the younger players." Having been at the fulcrum of the Finland international side for nearly two decades he will also be missed by his country as Roy Hodgson's charges prepare for their crucial six UEFA EURO 2008™ qualifiers. They currently lie joint second in Group A.

• 2 weeks later...

Finland bring in cover for Vayrynen

TPS Turku winger Mika Aaritalo has been called up by Finland for the qualifier against Kazakhstan with PSV Eindhoven midfielder Mika Vayrynen suspended.

Fit again

With Vayrynen absent, coach Roy Hodgson has decided to take a chance on Aaritalo, who has had a good season in the Veikkausliiga. "We have followed him for a long period," said the Englishman. "He has made an impact and shown that he might be of use in the future." Captain Jari Litmanen will be out for the remainder of the campaign, but the fitness of Mikael Forssell and Teemo Tainio is a bonus for Hodgson. "It could be said that I have two new players in the squad," he said. "Tainio hasn't played much and Forssell hasn't been fit. Now both are in good condition and I hope that will last until next week."

Finland squad

Goalkeepers: Jussi Jaaskelainen, (Bolton Wanderers FC), Magnus Bahne (Halmstads BK), Mikko Kaven (Tampere United).

Defenders: Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Ari Nyman (FC Thun), Toni Kallio (BSC Young Boys), Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen).

Midfielders: Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Markus Heikkinen (SK Rapid Wien), Joonas Kolkka (NAC Breda), Roman Eremenko (Udinese Calcio), Jarkko Wiss (Tampere United), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Aki Riihilahti (Djurgardens IF), Mika Aaritalo (TPS Turku), Daniel Sjolund (Djurgardens IF), Alexei Eremenko Jr (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast).

Forwards: Shefki Kuqi (Crystal Palace FC), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City FC), Jari Niemi (Tampere United).

Forssell blow for Finland

Finland will be without Mikael Forssell for Wednesday's UEFA EURO 2008™ Group A qualifier against Kazakhstan after the Birmingham City FC striker injured a calf at the weekend.

Forssell disappointment

The 26-year-old Forssell, who has only recently returned from a serious knee injury, sustained his latest problem midway through the second half of Birmingham's 1-0 Premier League defeat against West Ham United FC on Saturday. Finland coach Roy Hodgson is disappointed that the forward, capped 47 times by his country, will not be available for the match in Tampere. "I have talked with him and I know how much he wanted play this match. It is a pity for us he will not make it, but above all I feel sorry for him," he said.

No replacement

Hodgson added that he will not be calling up a replacement: "There is no need for that. We have a good squad here." Finland currently sit fourth in Group A, five points behind leaders Poland but tied with Serbia and Portugal with six games remaining.

It was indeed close, but more importantly Finland got the 3 points they need.

Even better news, Portugal held 1-1 to Armenia and Serbia lost to Belgium 3-2. So now Finland is in 2nd place, 2 points behind Poland for the lead.

STANDINGS

Poland 19 pts 9 g

Finland 17 pts 9 g

Portugal 15 pts 8 g

Serbia 14 pts 8 g

Finland's road to Euro 2008

Poland 1-3 Finland

Finland 1-1 Portugal

Kazahkstan 0-2 Finland

Armenia 0-0 Finland

Finland 1-0 Armenia

Azerbaijan 1-0 Finland

Finland 0-2 Serbia

Finland 2-0 Belgium

Finland 2-1 Kazahkstan

Serbia 0-0 Finland

Finland 0-0 Poland

Oct. 13 at Belgium

Nov. 17 vs. Azerbaijan

Nov. 21 at Portugal

GO SUOMI!

Finland's next match will be the ultimate test when they face Serbia in Red Star Stadium in Belgrade. In the last meeting in Helsinki, Serbia got the better of Finland beating them 2-0. From there many Finnish fans (even myself) though to be that there run for qualification is over. But thanks to Polands loss to Armenia and Finland's home victories to Belgium and Kazahkstan, there hopes have been revived. :tup: Finland cannot afford to lose to Serbia, and pretty much they'll find themselves in "hot water". With Jari Litmanen out for the remainder of Euro 2008 qualification after achilles surgery, the Finns have proven they are a strong side without him. From what I'm seeing, Roy Hodgson may field his usual lineup, unless there's an injury coming up.

SUOMI'S Starting 11

------------------------------- Jaaskelainen ----------------------------------

Hyypia ---------------- Pasanen ---------------- Tihinen --------------- Kallio

Heikkinen ------------- Kolkka ------------ Vyrarnen ---------- Tainio

------------------- Johansson ------------------- Eremenko Jr.

Hodgson hit by triple blow

Finland coach Roy Hodgson is without a trio of key players in his 25-man squad for the UEFA EURO 2008 Group A qualifiers against Serbia and Poland although he has been boosted by the return of midfielder Mika Vayrynen.

Trio out

Finland go into the matches in Belgrade on 8 September and Helsinki four days later second in their pool, trailing Poland by two points, and miss captain Jari Litmanen and midfielder Aki Riihilahti because of injury while defender Toni Kallio is ruled out through suspension. PSV Eindhoven's Vayrynen returns from his ban however, while there are surprise call-ups for Queen's Park Rangers FC defender Sampsa Timoska, Tampere United forward Jari Niemi and TPS Turku winger Mika Aaritalo. Talking about the 28-year-old Timoska, Hodgson said: "I haven't seen him play this season, but now I have time to get acquainted with him. We need players in the defence because of Kallio being out."

Finland squad

Goalkeepers: Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton Wanderers FC), Mikko Kaven (Tampere United), Niki Maenpaa (FC Den Bosch).

Defenders: Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen), Toni Kallio (BSC Young Boys), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Ari Nyman (FC Thun), Sampsa Timoska (Queen's Park Rangers FC).

Midfielders: Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Mika Vayrynen (PSV Eindhoven), Joonas Kolkka (NAC Breda), Markus Heikkinen (SK Rapid Wien), Jari Ilola (IF Elfsborg), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Jarkko Wiss (Tampere United), Daniel Sjolund (Djurgardens IF), Roman Eremenko (Udinese Calcio), Mika Aaritalo (TPS Turku).

Forwards: Alexei Eremenko Jr (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast), Mikael Forssell (Birmingham City FC), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF), Shefki Kuqi (Fulham FC), Jari Niemi (Tampere United).

Bravo to Finland, well done guys!! 0-0 stalament in Belgarde, couldn't ask for anything better! Serbia was by far the better team, they had there shares of chances to score, but with a very disciplined, determined Finnish side, they got what they needed. Now it's time for Finland to go for the main goal, GET A VICTORY OVER POLAND. If they do, they'll be in 1st place. :tup:

Hyva Suomi! ! !

I have recieved some good news, Mika Vayrynen might be able to play against Poland, though he won't start, he'll play probable 20-25 minutes in the 2nd half. He's not fully fit, but I know how important he is to the team. Kallio is back from suspenition, he's fully needed in left-back. Roy Hodgson is going for an attacking mode, he knows Finland is in need of 3 points. So the lineup from Hodgson might look like this:

------------------------------- Jaaskelianen ------------------------------------

Kallio ------------- Hyypia --------------- Tihinen ----------- Pasanen

Heikkinen ------------ Nurmela ------------- Sjolund ------------

---------- Kolkka ------------- Johansson ---------- Eremenko Jr. -----

Finland ready to take flight

Finland's UEFA EURO 2008 qualifying campaign has confounded many, not least the nation's ornithologists, and should they claim victory against Poland in Helsinki they would go top of Group A with three games to go. It is being billed as the most important match in Finnish footballing history and 36,500 fans are expected at the Olympiastadion, hoping for a win – and the reappearance of a lucky mascot.

Lucky owl

After a strong start to qualifying, Roy Hodgson's team appeared to be faltering after seven qualifiers when successive defeats by Azerbaijan and Serbia left them struggling to keep apace with the section leaders. A win against Belgium in June would get them back on track but that did not appear likely early on as they struggled to get a grip on the game – then a large owl swooped down into the stadium. Depending where you are in the world owls signify anything from misfortune to prosperity and thankfully for the home side it turned out to be the latter. After a delay of several minutes the owl settled behind the Finland goal and soon after Jonatan Johansson scored at the other end to set his side on course for a 2-0 triumph.

'Final step'

"I don't know about the owl's whereabouts," said goalkeeper Jussi Jaaskelainen. "Some think it brings us luck, but I think luck is something you earn after years of hard work." That is certainly true of Finland and has born dividends this campaign, with results such as Wednesday's impressive goalless draw away to Serbia becoming commonplace. The stalemate left them second in Group A, two points behind Poland but two clear of third-placed Portugal, though Luiz Felipe Scolari's team have a game in hand. "Just thinking about the teams behind us, we have already achieved a lot," said Johansson. "However, there's still the final step to take and I hope we can go all the way."

'Big opportunity'

That would represent a historic first for the Finns, who have never before appeared in a major finals. "We have every chance with just four matches to play; this is a rare moment in Finnish football history," said defender Petri Pasanen. "The Poland match is a big opportunity for us." The supporters do not need to be told and are expected to turn out in droves, further strengthening their hopes. "We'll play in front of a full stadium, which is superb. I just hope it will be a great night for players and fans alike and that we can give them a reason to celebrate," said Toni Kallio, who returns from suspension. Mika Vayrynen is doubtful with a calf injury but even if he, like the owl, is absent on Wednesday Finland are confident this is their time.

For me, Finland - Poland has 0-0 written all over it.

Great call! :P Not the result that Finland wanted, however there's good news that Portugal yet again failed to win a match in Portugal after being held 1-1 to Serbia.

Portugal does have a game to make up, Finland must beat Belgium next month and hope in Portugal's next 2 matches that they slip up to either Kazakhstan or Azerbaijan. Poland will play Kazakhstan at home, they'll get there 3 points.

• 3 weeks later...

Forssell to sit out key Finland qualifier

Friday 28 September 2007

Mikael Forssell will miss Finland's UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier against Belgium in Brussels on 13 October because he needs a hernia operation.

Short absence

The 26-year-old striker had only just returned to fitness at English Premier League club Birmingham City FC after a long lay-off with a serious knee injury when he was struck by this latest blow. "The only good thing is that the recovery time will not be long," Forssell said. "I will be out for two or three weeks." He will sit out the vital Group A game against Belgium as Roy Hodgson's side attempt to hold on to second place ahead of Portugal and Serbia, both of whom have a match in hand. Finland have 19 points from their eleven qualifiers, two fewer than leaders Poland.

• 2 weeks later...

:blink: What the?

Niemi back in Finland fold

Finland coach Roy Hodgson has handed Fulham FC goalkeeper Antti Niemi a surprise recall to the squad ahead of the UEFA EURO 2008 qualifier with Belgium.

Experienced reserve

Niemi, capped 66 times, announced his international retirement in spring 2005 but promised to return should his services be required again. With No1 Jussi Jaaskelainen being one yellow card away from a suspension, Hodgson wanted an experienced reserve behind the Bolton Wanderers FC goalkeeper. Hodgson must though cope without injured pair Jari Litmanen and Mikael Forssell for the Belgium match on 13 October, as Finland look to consolidate second-place in Group A.

Finland squad

Goalkeepers: Jussi Jaaskelainen (Bolton Wanderers FC), Antti Niemi (Fulham FC), Niki Maenpaa (FC Den Bosch).

Defenders: Sami Hyypia (Liverpool FC), Hannu Tihinen (FC Zurich), Petri Pasanen (Werder Bremen), Toni Kallio (BSC Young Boys), Toni Kuivasto (Djurgardens IF), Ari Nyman (FC Thun).

Midfielders: Teemu Tainio (Tottenham Hotspur FC), Mika Vayrynen (PSV Eindhoven), Joonas Kolkka (NAC Breda), Markus Heikkinen (SK Rapid Wien), Jari Ilola (IF Elfsborg), Mika Nurmela (HJK Helsinki), Jarkko Wiss (Tampere United), Daniel Sjolund (Djurgardens IF), Roman Eremenko (Udinese Calcio), Aki Riihilahti (Djurgardens IF).

Forwards: Alexei Eremenko Jr (FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast), Jonatan Johansson (Malmo FF), Shefki Kuqi (Fulham FC).

Finland does not look like they will qualify for Euro 2008, held to a 0-0 draw to Belgium. That's 3 consecitive matches that ended in a stalment. That's not how you get the job done. Looks like Poland and Portugal are going to Euro 2008, thanks for your efforts Finland, it was a good run. :(

• 4 weeks later...

OMG, Finland manage to survive this one! 2-1 victory, they needed to come from behind to avenge Azerbaijan. Forssell and Kqui we're on target today.

Next stop to Portugal, it's a must win for Finland. Serbia must lose points as well in order for Finland to qualify.

Archived