Phantis Forums

Summer 2006 transfers

cyberfish

We have 29 players on our currrent roster and Anderson, Tsigas and Theodoridis our at the bottom of our team talent wise so getting rid of them doesn't make a difference. As for Gekas hes alright id rather have Salpi any day because if u look back at all of Xazo-Goalies goals they are all easy and not in big games. Also hes a horrible all around player, Salpi is more complete hes fast he can finish better than Gekas(even though thats all Gekas knows how to do) and actually knows how to pass.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

crazy.... have you forgotten what Gkekas has done in the past 3 yrs???? apparantly so... if it werent for all the penalty shots you would never have anyone in the top 5 in scoring....

this move does not make any sense.... i'd rather he become a gavro(Salpi).... they need him more than PAO does at the moment...

2 weeks before the season & THIS..... :blink:

we dont need THIS...TZIGGER EISAI M@L@K@S

The only part that i agree with you is about Tzigger being m@l@[email protected] did not say that Gekas is not good and since you are trying to rebuild your team you don t have to sacrifise your best players.That is why i believe that pao is going down instead of up.The timing and the way that they handle this whole matter is by far one of the stupiest situations i have seen.Everyone should be focused on starting the year in a good and strong note and not like mpakaliko gonia.Penalti against you last year by the way we did not have on the contrary papa got one tziggino if you recall.perasmena ksexasmena omos....

by the way i just found this one

Ok. Obviously the point is missed.

It is impossible for Gekas to crack this lineup. Sure he scored alot of goals. But if u break it down, when did he score the goals. In the second half of the season, playing against teams like panionio,larisa, kalithea and akratitos. he was second in scoring last year with salpigidis ahead of him. Salpi had 2 goals more then Gekas did and yes 5 of those goals were on PK's. But Gekas had two PK attempts in the past two years. One against AEK in last years derby, which he missed and could have cost us a tie if AEK scored on their last minute chance. The other PK kick that Gekas attempted was two years ago, with 3 games remaining, against ARIS. He also missed that and, logically cost us the championship, seeing as how that game ended in a 0-0 tie and his missed PK kick could of helped have 2 extra points and therefore give us the champion ship by a point.

Thats what happens when u get into details. Someone mentioned how Salpi hasnt helped the NT yet at all or even Paok in Europe. well lets just say that since EURO 2004, there isnt adistinguished performance in the NT other then maybe the impact of Samaras' two goals in back to back friendlies last april. That list of non impressive players INCLUDES Gekas, who if u check the stats, has played 131 minutes more then Salpi has for the NT and ALSO has yet to score, and in all honesty, has looked horrible.

As for Salpi helping PAOK in europe. lets face it. Paok has not been a strong team in europe so insufficient games maybe the cause of that. Funny how he DID score two goals last year though in the UEFA cup group stage.

Now, on an individual basis, lets take these two players and break them down.

When it comes to speed, Salpi definately has the upperhand. Sure Gekas is not slow but there is a reason he wasnt played much in europe lastyear by malesani and why Bakke doesnt plan with him in mind. He doesnt have that explosiveness that Pap and Salpi have. True Breakout speed.

When it comes to clutchness, Gekas has done absolutely nothing clutchwise in his career, Playing with pao and scoring a goal in the 88th against panionio to take a 3-2 lead does NOT qualify as CLUTCH.

Salpigidis, over his career with paok, has scored 3 goals against OSFP and 3 goals against AEK. Not to mention the 4 he has scored against Pao including the game tying goal two years ago at Toumba, Also denying us the championship. What did Gekas do in that game. ill tell you. 1 missed shot.

As for the person who said Gekas and Pap are good together. What has he been watching?

Pao all through last year did not play with two cohesive ST's. Most of Gekas goals were from headers by Haralambidis crosses or rebounds from close by. Basically Garbage goals.

If anyone wants to compare their goals, go to goalday.gr and compare the goals salpi scored and the goals Gekas scored.

As for the other one sayin that Salpi score alot of goals due to PK's. Well lets just say this.

Yes, he did. And once a player scores and the team takes the lead, more then half the time, that team plays with the protective mindset, thus only sending one player foward as an attacking forward and the other 10 playing back.

Needless to say, Salpi also had to play 6 games against the big teams. the big teams being AEK, PAO and OSFP. Gekas only had to play 4 seeing as how he played for PAO.

But when it gets down to it, Salpigidis is a better overall player. I dont care what statistics u use or whatever comparaisons u use. He played for a team in turmoil, with perhaps not even gettin paid half the time, with a selection of players on PAOK that does not compare in anyway to the players that PAO have therefore the support is alot weaker.

Would i like to see Salpi with Pao? Yes.

do i think it'll happen? No.

Another thing peeps have said is that PAO is over paying for Salpi at that price.

the four players being sent to pao have a total of 1.1 million dollars in salary. they save that money in having to pay it and basically break even on that front. they are left with only Salpi's salary which will be estimated at 700k. so basically they are paying no more then 1 million dollars for him. Id say, according to todays market, Salpi is worth alot more then 1 million dollars. when it comes down to it, details can convince almost anyone on anything.

Bottom line is:

Panathinaikos is a better team with Salpigidis up front rather thenGekas.

Thats it.

Later skaters

Fu*k*ng well said Nikosvazelas!!!

Bravo!!! :nw: :nw: :nw:

Also id like to highlight the fact that Salpi had Paok players feeding/supporting him (no offence guys) which are no way better then having Pao players feeding/supporting him...

This fact alone is all you need to really compare!! i mean one player scores 17 goals (5 penaltys) in a medicore Paok team while Gekas scores 15 (2 penaltys missed) in a much better team...

Also Salpi has been the most consistant Paok player in the last 5 years not to mention the Greek League which must say something about him...

Now by all means i dont think Gekas is completly useless, i mean he did score 15 goals (weather or not they we garbage goals doesnt matter) however i would still rather have salpi in the ratio of 65:35 over Gekas... :tup:

P.S one thing i really hate about Gekas is the fact that he misses alot of easy goals, i mean yes he does score alot but he puts in what 1 goal in every 7 clear attempts he gets?? :unsure:

Drakos,

Please refer to...

It is impossible for Gekas to crack this lineup. Sure he scored alot of goals. But if u break it down, when did he score the goals. In the second half of the season, playing against teams like panionio,larisa, kalithea and akratitos. he was second in scoring last year with salpigidis ahead of him. Salpi had 2 goals more then Gekas did and yes 5 of those goals were on PK's. But Gekas had two PK attempts in the past two years. One against AEK in last years derby, which he missed and could have cost us a tie if AEK scored on their last minute chance. The other PK kick that Gekas attempted was two years ago, with 3 games remaining, against ARIS. He also missed that and, logically cost us the championship, seeing as how that game ended in a 0-0 tie and his missed PK kick could of helped have 2 extra points and therefore give us the champion ship by a point.

Thats what happens when u get into details. Someone mentioned how Salpi hasnt helped the NT yet at all or even Paok in Europe. well lets just say that since EURO 2004, there isnt adistinguished performance in the NT other then maybe the impact of Samaras' two goals in back to back friendlies last april. That list of non impressive players INCLUDES Gekas, who if u check the stats, has played 131 minutes more then Salpi has for the NT and ALSO has yet to score, and in all honesty, has looked horrible.

As for Salpi helping PAOK in europe. lets face it. Paok has not been a strong team in europe so insufficient games maybe the cause of that. Funny how he DID score two goals last year though in the UEFA cup group stage.

When it comes to speed, Salpi definately has the upperhand. Sure Gekas is not slow but there is a reason he wasnt played much in europe lastyear by malesani and why Bakke doesnt plan with him in mind. He doesnt have that explosiveness that Pap and Salpi have. True Breakout speed.

When it comes to clutchness, Gekas has done absolutely nothing clutchwise in his career, Playing with pao and scoring a goal in the 88th against panionio to take a 3-2 lead does NOT qualify as CLUTCH.

Salpigidis, over his career with paok, has scored 3 goals against OSFP and 3 goals against AEK. Not to mention the 4 he has scored against Pao including the game tying goal two years ago at Toumba, Also denying us the championship. What did Gekas do in that game. ill tell you. 1 missed shot.

As for the person who said Gekas and Pap are good together. What has he been watching?

Pao all through last year did not play with two cohesive ST's. Most of Gekas goals were from headers by Haralambidis crosses or rebounds from close by. Basically Garbage goals.

If anyone wants to compare their goals, go to goalday.gr and compare the goals salpi scored and the goals Gekas scored.

As for the other one sayin that Salpi score alot of goals due to PK's. Well lets just say this.

Yes, he did. And once a player scores and the team takes the lead, more then half the time, that team plays with the protective mindset, thus only sending one player foward as an attacking forward and the other 10 playing back.

Needless to say, Salpi also had to play 6 games against the big teams. the big teams being AEK, PAO and OSFP. Gekas only had to play 4 seeing as how he played for PAO.

But when it gets down to it, Salpigidis is a better overall player. I dont care what statistics u use or whatever comparaisons u use. He played for a team in turmoil, with perhaps not even gettin paid half the time, with a selection of players on PAOK that does not compare in anyway to the players that PAO have therefore the support is alot weaker.

Another thing peeps have said is that PAO is over paying for Salpi at that price.

the four players being sent to pao have a total of 1.1 million dollars in salary. they save that money in having to pay it and basically break even on that front. they are left with only Salpi's salary which will be estimated at 700k. so basically they are paying no more then 1 million dollars for him. Id say, according to todays market, Salpi is worth alot more then 1 million dollars. when it comes down to it, details can convince almost anyone on anything.

Bottom line is:

thanks to nikovazela for reading my mind.... and saying exactly what i wanted to say.... :LOL: :P

GKEKAS WANTS THE SAME MONEY THAT PAP AND EQI ARE GETTING.... he refused a new contract which would make him earn DOUBLE what he earns now.... that was the offer from tzigger... to which he declined....

Does any1 really think he is worth that much......???? :blink:

i feel that tzigger is being generous in his offer.... VERY generous....

Gkekas is a XAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaZO-GOALIS..... he cant dribble... he takes 5 chances to score 1 goal.... AND YES... u can look at statistics.... blah blah he scored 15 goals last season..... yia perimene.... AGAINST WHO??? Kalithea??

bazo kai ego 3 golakia against Kalithea file.....

IN THE BIG GAMES WHERE I REALLY COUNTS..... how many has he scored?? that have WON us the game??? yia psaxe statistics....

Ooo and Drakos u made a comparison to Inzaghi....that they are similar players....

separakalo file....... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I still rate Torgelle as a better forward for PAO than gkekas.... and your compairing him to Inzaghi??? :LOL: :LOL: Seeeeparakaloo......

unfortunately you are wrong about that. if these players go to paok, pao would have to pay their contracts. that is one of the conditions for the transfer. plus the 1.5-2 mio paok would get, it comes up to about 3 mio...

anyway. something that bothers me a bit in this transfer window is the fact that there weren't many transfers of greek players. all the money that is spent on the foreigners could have been used to lure back some good greek players. osfp got 7, pao and aek 5. the only "greek transfer" were zikos and lagos to aek and the loaned players coming back. the teams obviously became stronger, but there are some greek players which these teams could have gotten that are better on some positions. i mean, aek is the only top team now that has about 2/3 greek players. pao and osfp have 16 and 17 non-greeks! i don't want our teams to become some sort of chelsea or inter where they just relie on foreigners.

maybe a bit out of topic... :hypocrite:

Bottom line is:

Thats it.

Later skaters

You are right. The point is missed.

Impossible for him to crack the lineup? With who on the godamn team! We have 2 pure strikers- Mantzios and Tsigkas.

In the second half of the season he scored ---- WHEN HE PLAYED.

and When we were playing teams like Larisa, Panionios.........really? WHO WHERE WE PLAYING THE FIRST HALF OF THE SEASON? REAL MADRID, BAYERN? :LOL:

The first half and second half of the season are exactly the same teams how can you try to make that excuse. And goals are goals. Every game counts three points. And a more imprtant point - How many of those s%$#! away games vs those teams cost us the title every year?

How many of those go scrappy games do we have and desperatley need a goal to save the 3 points? They happen EVERY YEAR for as long as I can remember. If you are going to tell me Gkekas is not perfect for that than id tell you 23 goals in what 30-35 starting appearances? Yeah what a disgrace!

He missed the PK kick vs Aris that cost us the prota8lhma ---------- oh now thats rich (more to the others aggreeing with you than you). We have people in here agreeing who were blaming the loss of that prota8lhma on Tzigger and Malesani and now its Gkekas fault you agree........what about Gkoumas misssing that easy chance vs BAOK? As for the penalty itself ok hes not a penatly taker...so what? Even Rivaldo blew Milan's title a couple years ago by blowing a penalty does that mean hes incapable as a player?

For Gkekas vs Salpiggidis in the Ethniki -

Salpiggidis has been the WORST forward to be called up by Otto since Euro 2004. Gkekas played 130 mins more - I wonder why! Hes been utter crap and useless. Even Gkekas at least made an assist.....what has 'Gidis' done? Gkekas has yet to score? Do you know what ethniki we are talking about? We have been blaming forwards for everything in the ethniki when the midfield produces as much creativity as a peice of white toast. Its not like Gkekas hasnt been scoring the goals-----NOBODY has!!! (the irony is Salpiggidis will probably score vs England making this paragraph a bit awkward but up to this point Salpi has been crap in a blue jersey :LOL:)

So scoring late goals does not qualify as clutch because its Panioinos.

Well obviously Panionios arent that awful if they are in the same league as us, and have us tied/losing at the late stages of the game. Scoring a goal is not that much easier against "weaker" opposition. If you think its true well then why dont our other strikers like Pap score that many???

If this justification was true or consistent youd have to explain why since Rivaldo scores two vs PAO that he doesnt score any vs Panionios. Oppositioin at a profesional level is OPPOSITION. Come on with teams like Porto winning the Champions League, Greece winnning the Euro and more and more upsets and cases of "little teams" winning everywhere - football at a proffesional level is difficult to tkae the win almost anywhere you go for almost any team- and on a consistent basis even more impressive.

Physically Gkekas is fast not as much as Gidis but you neglect another thing- height and utility in the air.....there is no contest. Gkekas is great with his head and in a 4-5-1 that we are playing with crosses coming in Gidis will be stepped on.

Over Gkekas career in the last 2 years he has 3 goals vs Thrinos...Id count the one vs AEK because the play happened fair as if it were live and was then called back...weather its officially written or not does not change anything in terms of ability. I dont remember if he scored for Kallithea vs PAOK, AEK or PAO.. but chances are he did have some.

And you go call his goals are garbage meanwhile praise Salpiggidis for scoring the equalizer vs PAO....um what exactly was that? that was textbook garbage goal

=! But its an acomplishment when Salpiggidis does it, nothing when Gkekas does it. :whistle: Take a look at Salpiggidis' goals man- they are exaclty the same trash goals type and an occasional nice one!

For PK's

what are you talking about? the team pulls back its striker? how man times PAOK sits on a first half lead man :LOL: and they need pull out a striker with a 1-0 lead halfitme lead vs in Toumba vs Akratitos.... :LOL:? That didnt happen......PAOK were chasing for goals match after match.

Also about Scoring in europe- consider that he was out of form early last year (and there is not one striker on this planet who has gone out of form) didnt play much, and the team was crap in europe anyways....so thats hardly a fair chance to judge what he can do. Papadopoulos has 2 goals in europe and hes been here 3 years- 3 full european seasons. Gkekas played one game vs Sevilla (which he did great, just had no luck that day) and a handful of minutes in the CL...That doesnt make him awful. And I dont call that a full chance.

And Salpiggidis better because he was on a team in turmoil??? Fanis has been here one and a half seasons!!!! Before that he was with Kallithea and we has beating defenses BY HIMSELF so dont tell me team turmoil.....you think he got better service at Kallithea FC? :LOL: Do you remember that game when by himself took apart Thrinos in their 3-2 cup win!? :LOL:

I dont compare what statistics or comparisons you use"?

Oh nice touch, very open ended arguement youre making...

As a loan striker and a player who has helped get the team back in for two years with his presence back on the field, I prefer Gkekas. You can prefer Salpiggidis but I beleive Fanis has the stronger case. And if we were to take a player from PAOK id rather gamble on Xristodoulopoulos....

Bottom line: PAO will be no better whatsoever with Salpiggidis on the team. He will likely not play over Mantzios because of height and wont be on the wing because of Victor. Salpiggidis goes and hits the same ability to find "trash goals" as Gkekas game after game. Only difference is better quickness and total inferiority in the air.

@billydadgreek- wait how could we give them Torghelle??? Hes not our player! and those 3 for Salpiggidis is horrible deal...

Trifilara- please, take my posts out of context! keeping them in context would be totally unfair to you!

Gkekas IS like Inzaghi, but obviously a LESSER SO.

Obviously youve never seen PIPPO. Pippo is offside all the time, doesnt really create goals he is the same xazogkolis type player as Gkekas and scores in big numbers close finishes....Is it awful? No actually he bails out Milan with that one smart header or trash tap in he always manages to find....in need and they love him there...

Hollywood:

This fact alone is all you need to really compare!! i mean one player scores 17 goals (5 penaltys) in a medicore Paok team while Gekas scores 15 (2 penaltys missed) in a much better team...

No offense to you, but I really think this comparison holds no weight whatsoever.

- these 15 vs 12+5 penalties dont account minutes....Gkekas hardly played the first half of the season.

-Gkekas missed one penalty last year- unfortunatley it was the one that was going to BREAK the league and club consecutive scoring record. :whistle:

- Also Gkekas had 18 goals year before that while Salpiggidis 13 ....Gkekas was at Kallithea (come on much worse team than BAOK) first half of the season...

who was that person who used to post in these forums who had an obsession with MIxalaki....????

Drakos... i can see that in you with this whole gkekas saga.... :LOL:

asto file... he is not as good as u make him out to be.... compaired to salpi anyway....

sevomaste your opinion though :)

fair enough.....my issue is not as much who is better but rather the reasons given for Salpiggidis being better are a bit anoying me and how do you say cliche...if you want to talk about speed maybe even finishing ability and overall potential for the future of course i respec thta....but if somebody says - oh he only scored against the little teams as a reason and in truth it doesnt make sense.....

But if Salpiggidis does come of course I am all for his success here..and Gkekas did all he could and now has a family asked for a raise and hes getting pushed out....Good luck to him in his career, I hope in his next club he can go out there and prove himself again.

And by the way with all this arguement I have a feeling one of these two guys will score in Old Trafford tommorow.... :D

say what you wantabout Gkeka, he proved he could play at PAO.. other players who've transfered from other teams like kostantinou had a hard time adjusting at PAO...

with all thats progressed in the last few days, if we do get Salpi hopefully hes not one of these players that are meant to play in Thessaloniki

Gekas has helped PAO, I even say more than Kotantinou, and for far less money! Let's not forget this. His scoring to games played ratio isn't bad at all, especially compared to other high-paid primadonas out there.

I don't know what went on in the background (can't believe everything I read) but understandably a player that is the top scorer of a team does not want to go a lesser team! Would YOU?

Our team management sucks. They don't know how to treat players, past & present. You've got to look at this from different angles if you want to understand what's going on. It's obvious (to me anyway) that the players that loved PAO haven't been treated nicely. Yeah, we honored Henricksen the other day but he ended his career on the bench (when I thought he had more to offer). Same with Karagouni, Munch, etc, etc....

So, the reality is that players come to get $$, raise their profile and don't give a damn about our club. They don't play for the jersey they wear. Isn't this obvious?... How many endless and countless games we've seen our players doing ..aggaria???!!! [please don't fall for the hot air... polla logia lene alla apo praxis asta]

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about Salpi, but it seems he will come to PAO as PAOK needs the money desperately and a few good players it can't afford to buy now. He may help us more than Gekas but I'm not so sure. [here's the link Salpi to PAO]

By the way, isn't the COACH that decides the best 11ada? If the coach thinks Gekas should play should Tzigger put him "on ice" instead?...... {just wondering}

that cannot be a real offer.

Bidis, Leontiou, Torghelle ( I bet give Torghelle a full run to get in form hes actually better than Salpigidis ) who we dont even own too, Tsigkas for Salpiggidis??? This is Salpiggidis not Samuel Etoo we are talking about.....

if we lose Leontiou to PAOK it could only be a loan. If we lose the player altogether than the club is completley F***ed. He is a great talent, and will definitly be another Basinas type player for the team to rely on. We cant lose Gkekas, Leontiou, Tsigkas and even Bidis proved himself (our top scorer, and the league leader in assists plus the best CM prospect in Greece -----for salpiggidis whose good but come on nowhere near that good- he might not even start!!! )

wow we not only want to hurt title hopes, but our future too!!

Salpiggidis may be good but this it totally ridiculous ---- BAOK is completly ripping PAO off...... all those player they will be ###### awesome and Salpiggidis wont be missed because the rest of the team will be so strong!

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/AEth/Pa...kos/126837.html

its almost official - they aresnt sure excaclty who will be leaving but theys said Bidis, Tsigkas or Torghelle Andric..........plus money. Either way its a fantastic deal for BAOK. I only pray we didnt lose Leontiou....

Bidis is a league leading in assits and actually got a much better player but we have victor so i guess hes out...

Tsigkas got no chance to ever prove himself at the club except maybe 20 mins as a lone striker....great, fair, evaluation Hans. I never thought hed make it here but he just might have been a useful 4th striker like Bikovski was....

Andric also I feel is a great move for PAOK. The guy is way better than Igor Biscan in midfield and centerback. Its a shame Biscan only stayes and it prefreerd because of his reputation/name, despite his horrible play.

I think a coach should coach a team initially without knowin any names- only numbers. That way it will be pure objective decisions from his part...You could tell him Andric was Biscan and Biscan was Andric in training and youd see hed pick the one who was "Biscan"

And Salpi is used to playing a major role on a big club, and given the amount thrown on this transfer- i expect immidiate performances from Salpiggidis.

that is probably a BS rumour cause as good as I know PAO do not own Torghelle.. ;)

but this stuff going around Salpingidis (or maybe Salpindinho according to Jigger) is bothering..why is he so interested in this guy and why for God's sake Gkekas --even if I don' tlike him that much-- has to leave? :unsure:

All of the above players are complitely useless to us.

Let them go who cares? Good Riddance!

We need Salpi and his addition will be very vital.

It is no secret that Sollied is looking to add this player to the gay roaster.

The gays will be besides themseves when the announcement comes and Salpi is a part of the trifili roaster.

By the way i think he by far better than VeliGekas in alot of different ways.

I always thought that VeliGekas is not Panathinaikos material.

He is definetaly a "Hasogolis" who has done very little away from Greece.I will welcome Salpi any day. Great player and character.

One more tjing!

Whoever bashes Jigger about being Cheap and the like...take a look at the current additions and you might change your mind! Just a reminder!

Turk: (sorry GS1905 not as easy to type fast :P)

Its not a rumor....the clubs have agreed, and Salpi reached terms with PAO a week ago....this source (contra) is one of the very few greek sport sources with actual integrity..

I think the deal with Torghelle is PAO will buy out his option which they still must have - then send him straight to mPAOK maybe...Althought it would be great to send Tziolis to Thessaloniki instead of Andric...

also Anderson is back with Atromitos (former Xalkidona)

http://www.contra.gr/Soccer/Hellas/AEth/Ch...kos/126858.html

we might not need him but what if we run into injuries/suspensions?

Archived