Phantis Forums

Odyssey TV (Canada) Piracy Ads

Just got a copy of this weeks Evdomada newspaper (local Greek paper in Toronto) and what do I see inside, A big half-page ad from Odyssey TV about piracy, warning those who have illegal dishes that they shouldn't buy from these dealers because its wrong. He's got a list of things here stating his case, one of which is the dealers who allow you to have access to the Greek channels available in the USA do not pay any fees to the broadcasters from Greece- PLEASE, what a joke this guy is and a HYPOCRITE! From what I remember DKSat saying a while back in another thread about this channel- Odyssey doesn't pay any fees to Antenna, ERT or Mega either so he's one to talk. I believe that is why Mega is no longer available, he wasn't paying anything to Unitel, who have the rights for N. America and they pulled the plug on him!

I saw an ad in the newspaper that Maniatakos puts out before but this is the first time I have seen one in any of the other Greek papers. I guess he really must be hurting, meaning lots of people have cancelled their subscriptions, in order for him to put out ads like these. Sounds good to me, the more people that cancel the better! :tup: His channels suck and he is trying to do things on the cheap, that doesn't work in this day and age especially when people have to pay $15. a month for each channel.

Now I hear he has applied for a OTA radio station on AM, I wonder if the CRTC will give him a license?

Here is a copy of the ad:

Posted Image

Maniatakos: blah blah blah, blah , blah :P :P :P :P

This guy should hire some people, instead of wasting paper in these ads. You cannot cut and paste with VHS tapes and be successful in running Canada's only Greek Tv station.

When I used to have it, I don't know how many times I would be watching something and before the end of it a new show would start.

We have also mentioned the $25 dollar studio.

They need to learn from TLN!! I know many Italians wanted RAI and finally got it, but they have some truly Italo-Canadian programming. Not some BS in that cheap studio and someone reading last week's news.

They need some changes and big ones. They don't realize that they need to spend money to make money. They just can't hide behind the CRTC and state their rules. How about following them and making sure they hav etheir quota for Canadian content.

I am sick of these guys rebroadcasting these stations and putting Mr Moustaki to read the news.

For many paying $200 and programming it all your self is worth every penny.

Wow?? how can he run a ad like that when he pirates the Greek channels him self .

He does not pay any royalties to any of the Greek channels that he broadcast in Canada

Unitel is in talks with Bell Express Vu about adding Mega Cosmos to there DTH platform

DKSat

If he doesn't pay for the rights to the channels how is he allowed to rebroadcast them surely this is Illegal why hasen't the greek channels themselves filed a legal case against this guy?

Another thing is with those channels being available Free-To-Air on Satellites over North America doesn't help the Greek channels either as he just picks them up and rebroadcasts them

If he doesn't pay for the rights to the channels how is he allowed to rebroadcast them surely this is Illegal why hasen't the greek channels themselves filed a legal case against this guy?

Another thing is with those channels being available Free-To-Air on Satellites over North America doesn't help the Greek channels either as he just picks them up and rebroadcasts them.

I agree Kolossos,

What a crook! How can he be getting away with this and for so long?? Doesn't Antenna care that he is ripping them off by stealing the signal for free- then he has the nerve to publish these ads and tell the public that they are stealing :blink:

I wonder what the company who gets the rights for ERT Sat will do, I hope they pull the plug on him like Mega did, then we will see what he will do without any programming?! No wonder no one wants to deal with him and good for them.

How can Mega get on Expressvu when they are not on the 'approved list' of channels?

There are two companies looking to launch Greek channels (they have appied for 2 channels each), so hopefully they will be approved and Antenna, ERT, Mega & Alter can sign deals with these guys and we can be rid of this Odyssey clown once and for all :tup:

edw einai ta expenses apo to 1999 mexri to 2001

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/ENG/publications/rep...ividual/p40.htm

kai edw apo to 2000 mexri to 2004

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/publications/rep...l/305417413.htm

interesting how he is not making any money until 2004

koita3te kai ta programming costs kai to payroll............. lol

take a look at their application back in 2002

December 16, 2002

Secretary General

Canadian Radio-television and

Telecommunications Commission

1 Promenade du Portage

Terrasses de la Chaudière

Hull, Quebec

K1A ON2

Dear Ms. Rheaume:

Re: Odyssey Television Network Inc.

Application for License Renewal

We are pleased to submit our application for license renewal for the Odyssey Television Network Inc. (“OTN”). We look forward to continuing to serve the Greek community in Canada for many more years to come. By the attached renewal application, OTN is seeking a full license renewal term of seven years.

OTN was originally licensed by the CRTC in 1996 as a specialty ethnic television service to provide quality Greek language programming to the Canadian Greek community. The service officially launched on December 20, 1998 on the Rogers Cable Network and the StarChoice DTH service. OTN is now available on various cable and MDS systems across Canada. However, during the first two years of operation, OTN was faced with several challenges in order to gain carriage. These challenges affected OTN

Kolosso,

Min ta psaxnis den mporis na Bris akri.

Kai oti plirofories na sou doso den tha alaksi tipota.

So Man... Stay COOL.... Get yore self a Beer.. Kai kanena souvlaki..Kai me to OTN den tha Bris akri.

DKSat

Absolutely agree. It is also funny that Odyssey mixes the CBC news with the ERT-SAT

sports news, but the latter are also (at least) one day old.

In addition, about 10 days ago, when the american schedule had

Olumpiakos-Kalamaria and AEK-Panionios (tape delay),

Odyssey did not have those. They only showed one game that Sunday

(the PAO one).

At other times, I find that the Odyssey people are starting the broadcast

of games a little late, as if they are sleeping.

I will check this coming Sunday, whether they actually have the AEK game.

Just an update on the topic,

According to Lyngsat (not sure how accurate they are), ANT1 is Encrypted on Telestar 12 (C-Band) so Odyssey is probably paying something to whomever owns the rights to Antenna but the other 3 channels (ERT, Mega & Alter) are all FTA on C-Band so most likely he is pirating the signal for ERT Sat. Hopefully something will change once the distribution rights for N. America are all sorted out (like pulling the channel and going to another broadcaster!).

:gr:

Lyngsat stil shows Ant1 FTA on Ku Band on T12 http://www.lyngsat.com/t12.html

My mistake, I misread it. Oh well, then we are back to where we started, he's pirating BOTH channels' signal.

So I wonder what Dishent would say seeing that they pay a fee to ANT1 and ERT Sat while this guy pays nothing?! Not really a level playing field now is it? :tdown:

HELLAS look at my post above, see the actual numbers

i dont know about ertsat but according to the numbers i think that he is paying some money for antenna

2004 2003 2002 2001 2000

466,550 385,687 423,307 204,848 309,116 progr related

16,500 10,885 9,309 6,084 3,916 subs

HELLAS look at my post above, see the actual numbers

i dont know about ertsat but according to the numbers i think that he is paying some money for antenna

2004            2003              2002        2001          2000

466,550  385,687  423,307  204,848  309,116  progr related

16,500    10,885      9,309      6,084        3,916    subs

bravomegale,

How do we know that these numbers are real?? (I know you got them from the CRTC site, I am referring to OTN and what they submitted) Anything with this guy should be suspect IMO, should be taken with a grain of salt (as they say).

According to your figures, he has over 16 000 subs as of 2004, that's sad that so many people would subscribe to this inferior piece of crap but I guess they really want Greek TV?! :blink:

Regarding ANT1, I also think that he IS paying something to them but I am hopeful that when the contract ends they won't renew. I don't think anyone really likes dealling with him and now that we have some other options (Ethnic Channels Group- 2 channels, Other company- 2 channels) hopefully the broadcasters will take their business elsewhere. I can hope anyway, not that I really think this will happen but who knows stranger things have happened?!

HELLAS

prwta apo ola ta noumera ayta pou exei kata8esei sto CRTC einai nomika kata8emena

giati mboroun na elex8oun me ta noumera pou dinei to bell -starchoice-rogers cable

kai 8a mboresoun na anasteiloun thn adeia toy amesws an vroun atas8alies

oxi oti einai sigouro fysika .............mh trella8oume

oso gia ton antenna den exei allh eklogh para na paei ston maniatako me ta kanadezika

dedomena gia adeies thleorasews ktl kai mh 3exnas oti to antenna den 8a katadexotan na paei pote me allon para mono tou

fernw gia paradeigma oti sto dish einai mono tou xwris na 8elei na einai sto paketo

sthn eyrwph pali exei thn dikia toy platforma .

alla kai polla xronia twra sto kanada einai para polloi pou exoun paketa apo usa

symberilmbanomena kai ta ellhnika einai akriva alla 8eloun kai to mega opws kai twra to alter

ena pragma den katalavainw an ontws oi oroi peri programmatos sto doryforiko

oti ena pososto gyrw sta 20% prepei na einai kanadeziko giati den isxyei ayto kai

kai gia ta kanalia pou anametadidoun se plh8wra apo amerikh?

ayta

• 2 weeks later...

The empire expands, ;)

Odyssey (Maniatakos) received approval today from the CRTC for an OTA radio station on AM. It wil be mainly a Greek station but due to CRTC rules must also inlcude content from other ethnic groups, which in this case will be Bulgarian, Serbian, Armenian & Romanian.

Just passing this info along for those who live in Toronto, you will soon have a Greek radio station to tune into.

Here's the info:

Canadian Hellenic Toronto Radio

Archived