Phantis Forums

Vasilis Tsiartas

Batigol

Reports have Xanthi going after former AEK star Tsiartas.

http://www.sportnet.gr/showreport.asp?Spor...&ReportID=93658

That would be a good move for Xanthi in my opinion. He won't play full games but he might steal the odd game for them. Which could ultimately make the difference between a CL campaign and a UEFA one. Or none for that matter. I hope it works out for Xanthi.

This IS GREAT NEWS for this club....

I'm a big fan of the clubs like Xanthi Aris Aegaleo etc. should pick up older Greek stars and place them on their rosters....

It's something that all of Europe does and this helps the teams and the game become more equal....

Get rid of the old guys and put in the young gus...

i agree....to make this league succeed in the long run, the league must be more balanced and not just be a 3 man race(pao, oly,aek)

i say its time all the old euro 2004 winners come back to greece

(vrizas,dellas, fyssas, tsiartas, zagorakis, etc.

For the Euro winners to come back to Greece, or quality top quality foreign players for that matter, Greece is going to need to make some fundamental changes to the way the league is run.

First and foremost, we have to eradicate fan violence. Pitch invasions, players and refs going to the hospitals, and fans clashing on the streets and in the stands is unacceptable. This will improve the perception of the Greek league abroad and will bring fans back to the stadiums. Other than AEK, OLY and Ergotelis (nice average for a team in the top flight for the first time), fan attendance was atrocious. More fans (minus the violence) provide a better atmosphere for the players and the TV audience. It also means more revenue for the teams.

Second, we need to insist that all stadiums meet certain minimum standards. The reasons for this are similar to those outlined above regarding fan violence - it improves the perception of the league, brings fans back to the stadiums, and improves the quality of play. Better stadiums will also provide a better atmosphere for the fans and the tv audience. Of course, not all teams can afford to build brand new 30,000+ seat stadium. However, basic requirements should be the quality of the pitch, restrooms, press facilities, and a 15,000 seat requirement. If teams cannot meet basic requirements that are not even up to the UEFA basic requirements, we need to rethink whether these teams are worthy of the top flight. (Maybe more teams should consider the prospect of merging, along the lines of Chalkydona and Atromitos.)

Third, we need to insist that all teams are financially viable. Granted, this problem is not limited to Greece, but has impacted most countries in Europe. However, the problems of unpaid wages, player strikes, enormous debt, embezzlement, mismanagement of team funds, and the like, does not encourage quality players (Greek or foreign) to play in our league. Of course, better financial viability means better management, better quality of players, better quality of play, better competition throughout the league, higher interest in tv rights (both in Greece and abroad. Other than among Greeks abroad, there is virtually no TV interest in the Greek league outside of Greece and this is sad.

Fourth, the integrity of the league needs to improve. Fan violence needs to be punished (both the fans and the team) and the penalties need to be harsh. Team owners need to keep their comments in check, and punishments need to be levied against them when they do not. The quality of the league's refs needs to improve and be constantly monitored. Mistakes are human but, as in any job, if you make too many of them, you should be fired or reprimanded. Also, it needs to be clear that ref punishment and "quality control" is the responsibility of the EPO, not each respective team owner.

If we do these basic (yet difficult) things, the quality of our league will increase substantially on all levels. Maybe some day in the future non Greeks will even make trips to Greece just to see a couple quality matches at one of our beautiful and safe stadiums between any of our 10 to 12 competitive teams.

This is brilliant for Xanthi, I really admire this player, he will be quality for them. I remember him in Czech rep game when he was subbed on and made so many chances for the greeks, at the end providing the assist for the silver goal. He is very good at set plays, and deserves better luck than what hes been getting l8ly at club level.

Archived