Phantis Forums

oly´s black history in europe

Yaniotis1

thanks for the link, nice little compilation there by sportime.

im not going to sit here and give my opinion as to what went wrong every god damn year. but this boot we recently got from Uefa, although a decent season Euro wise, showed once more that we really dont have any sort of proper mind set. it stems from the coach, and gets passed onto the players.

i mean, even in the press conference before the magpie match, stoltidis says something to the extent of "nevertheless we'll try to chase the miracle" i mean, sure its a 1-3 first leg, but it caught my suprise, chasing the miracle ? ###### damn, it just says alot IMO.

I agree with you Vasillios. How well the mind is prepared does make a difference ... the player's attitude stems from the coach's and club's attitude. A comment like Stoltidis' wouldn't be the belief at many other top European clubs if in similar circumstances.

I'm not able to see many Greek clubs and the national team play, but over the years it appears to me that the mental application and belief seems to be lacking in Greek teams outside of the domestic league. Euro 2004 is an example of how competitive Greek soccer can be if discipline, belief, and mental preparation is at a high level.

I live in a multicultural country, and it's tiring to hear the disrespectful comments from football other non-Greek people about Greek team performances in European competitions ... they do not fear their Italian, German, English clubs drawing against Greek clubs.

Its hard to change habits, particularly when Greek clubs have been falling short for decades, but with a recent Euro Cup win, this is the time for Greek soccer and Greek clubs to stop being satisfied with cameo appearances in these competitions.

Olympiakos is a proud club domestically, but it doesn't do itself justice by being inferior on the European stage and accepting big losses. Olympiakos cannot boast too loudly about its dominance in Greece, because the best is the Champions League and that is where you need to be successful as well.

Don't misunderstand me, I want to see Greek soccer get better and succeed.

Archived