Phantis Forums

Moldova - Scotland

It's make or break time for Scotland and Bertie Vogts tonight when they play in Moldova. With only one point from two home games against Slovenia and Norway, a win is essential to keep any World Cup hopes alive.

With the public, media and former players all voicing their opinion that Vogts should go, spare a thought for the little German (maybe we employed the wrong one by accident :LOL: ) who had to field an XI comprising the following against the Norwegians:

Gordon, Caldwell, Naysmith, Anderson, Webster, Ferguson, Fletcher, Holt, Dickov, McFadden, Hughes.

Household names? World class players? Only Barry Ferguson could even be considered a quality player. Gone are the days of Jordan, Dalglish, Souness, Hansen & Strachan. Thankfully not forgotten though!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/3730218.stm

If Scotland get a victory, critics of Vogts will say:

"Shouldn't we get rid of him while there remains hope of qualification? - Before it's too late!"

My friend Johnny these kind of statements happen only in Greece... I doubt that your journalists will even suggest such a thing....

In Greece ,as you probably know already, we have critisism ready to suit any situation... If the team looses "why did they loose" if they draw "We could have won", if they win "Yes but the other team was nearly dead", if we get PAO players in the NT "Why didn't Rehaggel get players from Olympiakos", if the team has experience "they are too old, we need to refresh the team", if they are young "the team is inexperienced" etc etc....

As you can see with Greek Journalists everything is a no-win situation.... I doubt that the same thing happens in Scotland... I think a distant second country where such things might be happening is Italy. But as I said DISTANT second far far behind Greece.... ;)

Oh well, it could have been worse!!

Scotland were extremely lucky to escape with a draw in Moldova, after a shocking performance. The second half saw Scotland reduced to the embarrasing sight of a team unable to string more than three passes together. Amateur players would be angered if compared to last night's team. :tdown:

I wouldn't even begin to single out players for criticism - it was a complete team effort, but there were players who were obviously out of their league at international level. But who is out there to replace them?

That will be up to the coach to decide, who may or may not be Bertie Vogts after the SFA announced that the management position will be discussed over the next few days. More calls from ex-players (this time John Collins & Ally McCoist) for the axe to fall on the German, questioning his motivational skills. Lack of motivation always puzzles me among international players. What could raise the passion more than pulling on a national team shirt? Ok, I can think of a few, but you know what I'm getting at.

1800 brave Scottish fans made the trip to witness the abysmal performance, and must now be seriously questioning their attendance at the next match away to Italy. What's the record international scoreline?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/3742168.stm

Berti has tried and tinkered called up 60 odd players in the last 3 years yet achieved nothing. Everyone agree's this is Scotlands poorest ever crop of players but Berti has notmanaged to get the best of what little he already has.

He should resign since all hopes of qualifying are all but gone and he seems not able to inspire the players in any way.

I think this is an opportunity for the Scottish FA to give the team as it is to Gordon Strachan who knows the psyche of the Scottish player and can honestly do no worce than Vogts. The remaining games will give him the opportunity to build a team that will have a better chance of qualifying for the next European Championships.

It's inspiration above all the Scottish players are missing.

They can get rid of Berti Vogts but they must remember: a cook is only as good as his ingredients. :tdown:

There was a time when each English Division I club had 2-3 Scottish players in their lineup. I challenge anyone - except JOHNNY - to name me 3 Scottish players in the entire Premiership.

What am I saying?!? There's hardly 3 Scottish players in Glasgow Celtic's lineup these days... :(

See below link for our 'old friend' Chick Young's verdict on the current damning of Bertie Vogts.

Perhaps his most telling comment is where he blames the poor state of Scottish football on:

'the refusal for years of our leading clubs - the 0ld Firm by name - not to invest in Scottish youth.'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/scotland/3743382.stm

Archived