Phantis Forums

PAOK and UEFA Cup

Ziaka

The draw for the 2004-05 UEFA Cup draw is made tommorrow 27-Aug-04 at 13:30 GR. PAOK is ranked quite high in the teams ranking, which means they will get drawn with a relatively easy opponent. This is something that scares me. Everytime we get an 'easy" opponent, we struggle.

Winners of the 1st Round qualify to the new Group Stage of the UEFA Cup. This should be PAOK's goal after the debacle in CL. If we make it to the group stage, we will play at least two games at Toumba. This might also be a chance to get the new season back on the right track.

Tough opponent. But here is a good chance to redeem ourselves for the poor showing in the CL, however my initial prediction is that we will not qualify to the group stage.

BTW, I merged the topics so we can discuss PAOK in UEFA Cup in single place.

Before the draw, this were our possible opponents:

Chateauroux (France), AZ Alkmaar (Holland), Banik Ostrava (Czech Rep.), Elfsborg (Sweden), Hafnarfjordur (Iceland)

I think we were draw with the hardest opponent from that group.

As a side note, so close to have a match-up of two teams that I support: PAOK and Banik Ostrava.

PAOK did get the toughest draw from that group, but I think PAOK will win easily. Although Debrecen of last year's UEFA Cup did look easy...but they were knocked out :unsure: I hope PAOK plays terrific :D (not like how they played in Tel-Aviv <_< )

Alithia paidia bori na mou pi kapios me pia omada klirothike O Aris stin evropi.

Good point. I have noticed over the past few years following the soccer happenings in Thessaloniki, that the Aris fans have a bigger interest in what PAOK does, than what their own team does. ;)

There are excpetions of course, but not too many. :)

Aris fans have no business comparing their European records with the ones of PAOK.

Statistics speak clearly. PAOK has played 84 games (including appearances in Champions Cup) in European competition while, Aris has only 40 European games. On top of that PAOK has a winning record in Europe, while Aris has a losing one. And don't bring up the Debrecen games up, becuase for every game you will bring up I can give you a comperable result by Aris in Europe.

Archived